• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Piercings and jewellery in surgery

vickylou

I have a few body piercings and was just wondering if u r allowed to wear plastic one during surgery, I have a tongue stud which I am pretty sure I will have to take out but what about the other body parts lol or is this a no no and they all have to be removed?

i had to remove all piercings eye bar the lot fully and only 1 allowed was my intimate one but that was at surgeons discretion xx

Where they metal or plastic?

It is something you need to as your anethersist. Mine let me have retains in my nose and top ear it's metal they don't want on your face as it can burn you with the equipment they use.

As above all piercings removed - maybe intimate could be leftbut that is at surgeons discretion! Def hun xxx

i think they need to be removed... but i think its down to the surgeon... maybe worth giving them a call to see what there policy is xx

It is something you need to as your anethersist. Mine let me have retains in my nose and top ear it's metal they don't want on your face as it can burn you with the equipment they use.

Yes that's what I thought so hoping the plastic ones will be ok.

I had to take EVERYTHING out, it was a nightmare getting everything back in again! Best to ask your team what their policy is.

H xx

I have been told before that retainers are ok. Its something call diathermy:

Info on surgical diathermy

It is used for sealing blood vessels during surgery.

Due to the electric currents it can cause burns where metal is.

I will put retainers in before I go to hospital and hope for the best. Some of my piercings will be bloody hard to get out lol

I had a plastic piercing in. They allowed that, just put tape over it x

I have 2 in the South of England, so I hope I don't get burnt bits either lol

Back