• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Surgey & piercings

Flickalicious

Bit of a weirdy! XD
Ive just received a letter explaining about my pre surgery dos and don'ts.

I knew id have to take out both my tongue stud & lip ring but what about earrings? I have 9 ear piercings in all and have only ever removed 2 of my earlobe earrings for long periods of time.
Am I allowed to keep the rest in? My piercings are a characteristic of 'me' and I cant afford to get them repierced if I take them all out and they close up.

I plan on taking my tongue & lip piercings out minutes before going to surgery and putting them back in (or at least trying!) As soon as I wake up. I need special pliers for the earrings, however. :(

Hi

From memory, the no jewellery rule is for hygiene reasons as they will be covered in bacteria. It might be worth checking with the hospital if they all have to come out.

I had to remove all of mine, so I feel your pain xx

Earrings can be covered with tape as can wedding rings. However some surgeon like everything off regardless. I don't think you'll have a problem.

Both the hospitals I've been to are everything out and don't bother arguing. I had a ninja style plan to keep the nail varnish on my toes last time. Best check in advance, and give them a good clean with surgical spirit anyway in case you get lucky. They must have this all time.

The no nail varnish rule is not only for hygiene but also so that they can check your capillary refill time, in case you are in shock or are haemorrhaging.

The pearcings also hygiene but more importantly you can suffer burns if the cauterising equipment touches metal on you. Normally things that cannot be removed can be taped up.

Yep, i have the no nail varnish/false nail rule too which doesnt bother me as I wear neither. Hopefully my earrings can be taped up. If I have to take them out I will need to go to a body mod shop to use their piercing pliers. Couldn't ask anyone today at my pre op. Will have to phone! Thanks for your help guys :)

Good luck xxx

I've had two surgeries so far and having a third in January. I have a labret, tongue and tragus piercings as well as a few in my ears! I've always had to remove them but put the main ones back in during the next day! Lip and tongue I can do easily! I don't think they will close up too quickly if you've had them a while. Just take your pliers to hospital and opt for easier jewellery to use for a while!
Hope this helps ?

I took my earlobe piercings out. My top ear piercings and wedding ring was taped up. I was allowed to leave my lip ring in untaped but had to competely remove my tongue bar which I put back in as soon as I woke up! There I was worrying and all was fine! None of the staff seemed bothered at all with the piercings. Easy :)

Back