• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Please help

Smillsey01

Hi all. I had a gastric bypass a week ago and am really struggling to eat food, cant seem to eat soups, and c an only really manage yoghurt. Today I have been feeling really sick after even sipping water/ sf juice and have also had a runny tummy. I am just wondering if this is normal or am I doing something wrong? Please help, thanks

I can only go on my experience and that doesn't seem normal. All I can suggest is try having smaller amounts, but really you need to speak with your provider as soon as you possibly can.

Feeling sick after water doesn't sound right,
Best to get it checked,do you have any contact numbers for baratric nurses?

Have you been given any acid meds?

I had the same problem, I went to my gp and she prescribed lots of anti sickness meds, re hydration drinks and imodium, so I could keep food down and stay hydrated. Thin soup out with water or milk. If you are struggling to even drink water then you really need to speak to your provider asap. Have your provider got an emergency number? Or ring NHS direct and they will get a GP to call you back. You mustn't wait long if you can't keep water down as you can dehydrate extremely quickly. I had liver function problems because I put off seeing my doctor too long, all fine now but I could've have done myself damage. Hope you feel better soon. The early days are tough xx

I had a similar problem with water but found I could drink squash?! Strange I know.
Also found I could tolerate coffee, in fact it settled my stomach on many occasions!
It will pass I'm sure and you will feel so much better soon xxx

I don't think there's such a thing as "normal" after WLS. I was as sick as a dog for months after my surgery. Everything that I put in my mouth made me sick, and yes, even water. I avoided eating and drinking for weeks after my surgery because I was sick every time. I'm really not sure why or what made me so poorly but I just think that we all recover differently. My sickness got to the point that I was booked in to have an Endoscopy but for some reason the sickness stopped and I was able to eat and drink without being ill. I'm now 8 months along and I can eat and drink pretty much anything that I like and I haven't been sick for a good few months!
Just try and keep yourself hydrated but taking tiny sips of water often. If you're unable to do even that then maybe it's best to contact your medical team just to be on the safe side. I was so depressed for a long time after my surgery because I thought that I would always feel that way and that I would be in that state for life. You just have to give yourself time to recover. Maybe just eat the things that don't make you sick for now. I hope that you feel better soon *Hugs*

Forgot to ad. My doctor gave me some FasTab and that really helped with the sickness x

Back