• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Advice please

angel100

Hi I had gastric bypass surgery 1 week ago and i'm a little unsure of how i should be feeling? I understand everyones experiences are different but would like some advice please

I still have quite alot of pain from one specific area on tummy where i bled post op but bruising coming out now taking regular paracetamol.
I am trying to eat every 2 - 3 hours i'm only managing approx 3 - 4 teaspoons of yoghurt/soup/porridge each time is this okay?
My tummy is very swollen when can i expect this to settle?
I have only lost 3 lbs this week is this normal due to all the swelling?
Thanks for any help/advice

Mini

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome Angel:welcome2:

I will move this thread into the Main Gastric Bypass forum so that it will get more attention there and hopefully someone will be along shortly who can help answer your questions.

I will leave a re-direct so that you can find your thread along with others.

Well done on losing 3lbs and I am sure when the swelling and water retention go down you will lose a lot more very soon:happy096:

Congratulations on having your operation and I hope you make a speedy recovery!

Jane

Hi Angel, welcome to the forum.

I had my surgery 5 days ago and my tummy is still swollen and I have a little pain where one of my wounds bled too.

So far as eating goes I am managing a little bit more, but I was put straight onto purees. If you are not sure perhaps you could write down what you are having and contact your dietician? Or post here as someone more experienced and further out from their ops will come along and help.

Are you taking ordinary paracetamol or the dissolve under the tongue ones? I was given a supply of dissolve under tongue ones and told that when they had finished I could go onto the large tabs broken in half, but not to take the caplets as they are absorbed to quickly.

Again if you are not sure of anything, why not give your team a ring and ask for advice?

I have already spoken to mine as one of my wounds was leaking blood, and they told me what to do and reassurred me. That's what they are there for and I'm sure they won't mind a quick call.

phatmomma

Believe me when i say you are both feeling normal... Also believe me when i say you don't need to be worrying about your food intake right now. Yes please eat if you've been given those instructions by your surgeon. Immediately post op our biggest concern should be to get the fluids in, you should be aiming to drink as much as you can throughout the day... If you can do the fortimel drinks thats great, otherwise milk in any way shape or form is good, double milk (which is milk with added marvel to it) is marvellous for doubling your protein whilst at the same time not having to drink twice as much. You could possibly make milky drinks with it such as coffee or nas milkshakes....

Drink first and happy healing xx

lotsabeefy

As Julie said u are both NORMAL!! On my return from hospital i was 7lbs heavier, bloated, in pain for at least 2 weeks and regretting that i had ever contemplated the surgery.
Now i am so happy life is so much better thin....not because of the aesthetics but because everything is so much easier. xx

angel100

Thankyou so much for your replies it is so reassuring to know that what i'm feeling is normal, its quite scary when you are going through stages to know that what is right or not. It's good to know i am not alone and that others are have gone through the same and got to the other side.