• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

PLUS!!!!! Have you heard ???

helen144

Hi just a quick drop in to say that I rang yesterday we do have to have the psychiactric test aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh, Mr Ammori was told by the PCT that the decision was not his and that we do have to have it after all, he had sent an email to the secretary to inform her of this so our ops will be not as soon as we thought, im sorry to be the bearer of bad news? She said it will probably be May !!!!!

A dissapointed

Helen xxxx

May this year hun?? thats not that far away, its about the same time as mine hun. CHIN UP it will be hear b4 you know it, dont let yourself get down bout it the time will fly by u watch hun xXx

Helen, after reading crafty fox's blog about the mental side of having a bypass I think its something everyone who is having surgery should go through(before anyone starts ranting this is my opinion so please don't take offence). As the head is always the last to follow, it may just help a little and may will soon be here, it is lso a very good month to have your seurgery because we can be surgery buddies too 8oD hehe

Hi Terri did you have to have it I wasnt even offered it at WM didnt even no anything about it till I joined Mini's

PS hope you back is getting better

Helen, after reading crafty fox's blog about the mental side of having a bypass I think its something everyone who is having surgery should go through(before anyone starts ranting this is my opinion so please don't take offence). As the head is always the last to follow, it may just help a little and may will soon be here, it is lso a very good month to have your seurgery because we can be surgery buddies too 8oD hehe

i kinda agree to a degree i never was asked or ever had mentioned a pyhciatric consult and dont think it would have made much of difference to my state of mind befor op but i think it should be offered after weather band or bypass its about facing upto previous behaviour and changing it if it hadnt been for here a few times i may have gone mad

One of the things we were discussing at the support group was the need for ongoing psycological input as things change as you go along. Some people have better coping stratagies than others so its important that it is recognised and acted on accordingly. Although its a futher delay look at it as a safty net. I really enjoyed meeting the psycologist she confirmed i was normal lol

no i wasn't offered it and it wasn't something i really thought about until i read shels posts and crafty fox's blog about mental issues.

Sorry I didn't mean it to come across so harsh(that will teach me to take my meds on an empty stomach, am away with the fairies a bit) but its the coping afterwards food plays such a large part of our lives pre op and we don't really think about it til after the op and all of a sudden the comfort blanket of food is suddenly whipped away, how do you cope? what do you turn to for security? how will you ever fit in normaly when out with friends and family and you're eating? Silly really but something we need to be thinking of and dealing with pre op so we are pre pared post op? Hope this makes sense and is not just a random ramble ;o)

Last edited:
makes perfect sense terri xx

I never had the assessment and to be honest dont think it mattered for me. But I was fortunate enough to come to terms with my problems prior to surgery so it was the icing on the cake for me. I think each case should be judged on its merits and what benefits one is not necessary for someone else. My weight gain was not down to how I felt about myself but down to not being active enough due to suffering from awful headaches brought on by sleep apnea. I found it hard to do the smallest of things and I had them daily. It became a vicious circle for me but one I am glad has now been broken.

We need to remember we are all so very different for so many different reasons and I dont need to be told I am normal I know I am lol..xx

Hi just a quick drop in to say that I rang yesterday we do have to have the psychiactric test aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh, Mr Ammori was told by the PCT that the decision was not his and that we do have to have it after all, he had sent an email to the secretary to inform her of this so our ops will be not as soon as we thought, im sorry to be the bearer of bad news? She said it will probably be May !!!!!

Hmmm! :(. I don't know Helen. I just don't know anymore. Which PCT? Not all of us are funded by Salford PCT. The sister doing my pre-op assessment told me to call Mr. A's secretary towards the end of next week to get my date. I think I will check what my PCT's take is on this. Will also call secretary as advised and see if I hear different. Will let you know.

And do we stop liver shrinking? Will there be another pre-op so many weeks later?

I take the point that some psych support may be very useful to some as would on going support. But what is so wrong with getting the surgery first and the psych support later. I'm not afraid of a psych assessment and I don't object to it. It's just the delay. There is life to carry on with, plans to be made, jobs to begin and I personally feel at a standstill until this surgery is out of the way. I have always been told April and I planned everything around this. I have a job that I negotiated to begin in May after the surgery and recovery in April. Now what do I do?

BTW, I totally agree Charliegirl.
xxx

Like it has been said before, everyone has an opinion and here is mine for what it is worth. I was funded by Salford PCT & was required to attend a psych eval as a matter of course. I don't feel as though I have serious or unmanagable issues post-op but I feel that having met with the psychologist, I now have a rapport with her & would feel comfortable in requesting to see her again should I need to do so. In fact, I saw her yesterday during a review of the bariatric surgery program at Salford Royal where I acted as a patient representative. She remembered me and asked if I would be willing to talk to some of her new staff & possibly to prospective surgery patients to relate my emotional experiences thus far. I think that a relationship pre-op with the psychology department at your hospital can only be a good thing in the long run.

However, I think it is terrible that it should delay your progress to surgery. Perhaps it would be a good idea to call and ask who you are being sent to and maybe advise that office that your surgery has been delayed directly by their office and has created stress for you. It can't hurt to make yourself heard and perhaps they might be able to give you a cancelled appointment or something.

Best of luck & I hope that you all know that this is just one person's opinion and you are always free to disagree!!

Nic;);)

However, I think it is terrible that it should delay your progress to surgery. Perhaps it would be a good idea to call and ask who you are being sent to and maybe advise that office that your surgery has been delayed directly by their office and has created stress for you. It can't hurt to make yourself heard and perhaps they might be able to give you a cancelled appointment or something.
Great idea PG. Will be on the phone 1st thing Monday after the call to my PCT of course;).

Plus I do know where you are coming from with regard to being at a standstill, I was always told my op would be april and felt gutted when Iwas told May 20th. I don't agree either that your surgery should suddenly be delayed, could they not give you an appointment afterwards or is funding dependant on a psyche evaluation?

hey helen just think there is only one month in the middle to get to may and by next week there wont even be that..you will be amazed how quick it will come around keep your chin up x

Hey Helen May aint that far away at all chucks, it will soon be here. I am post op and have asked to be refered for some sort of counselling cuz they fixed my stomach but my heads still a mess!

hi Helen, if the psych assessment means you will get the surgery then you have to do it sweetheart. As many have said ,better to get it over and done with then there should be no more obstacles.I was given my date for my band 9 weeks ago and I thought it was going to take forever to get here but omg I've only got 4 weeks left to go and if they go as quick as the last 5 weeks then I'll be a happy bunny. good luck Helen at least you know now rather than next week. xx Gaynor xx

Back