• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

POSE Surgery

Hi all,

Since my surgery in February I've almost lost 2 stones. I've had loads of people say to me that I've lost weight and am looking healthier. Yey. My target was to loose 3 stones, so not far off.

I'm eating about 20% less in portion size but because I want to achieve my target quickly I've replaced lunch with a milk shake and yogurt or fruit. Seems to keep me going for about 5 or 6 hours. I do this 5 days a week as I'm always busy at work and don't have time to think about food. Sometimes this is very hard. I hope to god I can keep it up.
I hear what you say. Although I had the procedure only a week ago, for me too, it's about the long-term benefits, sustaining the reduction in appetite and making 'right' choices.

Hi Lynda, Shax

Well done on the massive weight loss that's fab .Lynda i tried to look up the info you gave me but it was so confusing i just gave up .Still not been weighed , will do it first thing in the morning .Hope yours went well .

Last edited:
I'm only weighing myself - it's too far to go to Spire in Bushey. Nobody suggested it anyway....?

Good luck, Liz, with the weigh-in. Mine's not gonna be that dramatic, I'm afraid.

xx

Weigh in

Hi Lynda

Im doing the weigh in myself also as nobody has contacted me about going for a weigh in .Which seems strange as Shax had the same op and support as me .Maybe i'm supposed to contact them .Any loss is a good one and you can only
feel and look better because of it xxxx

Thanks, Liz. Yeah, I guess you're right - maybe it'll be a slow-burn. That's funny about your weigh-in though. I took it for granted that yours would be the same as Shax. Do you think you should contact them - or just do your own anyway, following the same principles as WW/Slimming World etc. wear the same clothes, weigh at same time of day on a weekly basis. You know, the usual. Guess that's what I'll do.
The reason I'm SO desperate to know whether the POSE does affect the hormone Ghrelin is because I needed something/anything to curb my appetite. Therefore if I know that it is the case I will self-talk myself out of eating when I don't want it. If it's not the case - then watch this space.
Sorry to go on - just got to get this off my chest.
xxx

WEIGH IN

No problem Lynda we all need someone to ask things and compare with .I bought a self help dieting book ages ago (yes i really did ) and it said how to test if you are hungry, with your stomach or just your eyes and mind ( yes it really did say that ) and yes i did pay good money for it hahah . I've tried it this week and it works. It said think about something you really like to eat and then think if you could actually put it in your mouth and eat it ,and yes i always could and always did .Behold this week i cant even imagine eating it ,i still like to think about it but i dont feel the need to actually eat it .We are of course only one week in ,but i can usually break a diet for my fave food. Either that ,or the ridiculous amount of money i have paid for this op has been the difference .I think the we will only know the effects in a while , its the long term i worry about also .I don't want to feel like i'm on a srict diet forever i think that's what i worry about .Hope this makes you feel better How much should we be eating now im on 2 tins W/W soup and 2 small FF yogurts and lots of juice (Dilute type )

No problem Lynda we all need someone to ask things and compare with .I bought a self help dieting book ages ago (yes i really did ) and it said how to test if you are hungry, with your stomach or just your eyes and mind ( yes it really did say that ) and yes i did pay good money for it hahah . I've tried it this week and it works. It said think about something you really like to eat and then think if you could actually put it in your mouth and eat it ,and yes i always could and always did .Behold this week i cant even imagine eating it ,i still like to think about it but i dont feel the need to actually eat it .We are of course only one week in ,but i can usually break a diet for my fave food. Either that ,or the ridiculous amount of money i have paid for this op has been the difference .I think the we will only know the effects in a while , its the long term i worry about also .I don't want to feel like i'm on a srict diet forever i think that's what i worry about .Hope this makes you feel better How much should we be eating now im on 2 tins W/W soup and 2 small FF yogurts and lots of juice (Dilute type )
Aww, thanks Liz for your words of wisdom. Somebody on this site had written about 'head hunger' and I think that's what your saying is in that book. I really should try and think/imagine what it would be like to actually eat it. Differentiating between real and imagined hunger. Phew, this is a bleeding minefield. And I'm with you on the permanent strict diet thing -that's not what I paid all that money for.

Lyn xx

Hi Scott,

I agree with your comments. You can't live the rest of your life in a diet, however, we can't continue making poor food choices either.

There's a balance to be struck, healthy in the main with some treats I think.

3 months in and I'm still fighting the food lusts.

No, I've not seen any posts from Von. Looking back it was her that mentioned 'head hunger' and something that I could identify with. Hope she's doing ok.

Hi Lyn and Thinkingman .

I think i sort of wanted an easy option a mirace cure for greed but thats not realistic ,i do think we will be ok .I dont mind making heathy food choices .I really just want not to feel hungry and so far so good but as you said 3 months in and even though your doing well its still will power that is needed also .

The weigh in was this morning ,I lost 12 lb

I can't believe it .I got on and off the scales about 5 times to be sure it was right .

I spoke to the nurse today and i asked about the fundus appetite control that we spoke about and she confirmed that our bigger appetites shouldn't return .

Wow! What a brilliant weightloss!!! Amazing - well done you.
Sorry to report a measely 5lbs weightloss. I'm kind of embarrassed to be telling you that. I thought I was adhering to the rules.
That's good to hear about the fundus thing. Did she say any more on that subject?

Lyn xx

HI

5LB is fantastic don't feel at all bad about it .look at it this way if you have 3 stone to lose its a great start .I am going to grill her about the fundus thing next week when she rings .She did say it was because the anchors are placed in there it changes the messages to your brain .She also said long term the GI diet is one to look at .I will keep you updated on the nosc advice i get .
Well done again

I'm not becoming obssessed with the scales numbers .Im only going to weigh myself once a week ,even though i want to jump on every morning .I need to lose about 5 stone to fit in to all my clothes again

Last edited:
HI

5LB is fantastic don't feel at all bad about it .look at it this way if you have 3 stone to lose its a great start .I am going to grill her about the fundus thing next week when she rings .She did say it was because the anchors are placed in there it changes the messages to your brain .She also said long term the GI diet is one to look at .I will keep you updated on the nosc advice i get .
Well done again

I'm not becoming obssessed with the scales numbers .Im only going to weigh myself once a week ,even though i want to jump on every morning .I need to lose about 5 stone to fit in to all my clothes again
Hi Liz,

Thanks for the good wishes.
This thing about the anchors and the messages to the brain is really interesting. Yes, the more you find out please let me know. I had emailed my surgeon but I haven't heard anything from him - maybe he waits until we have arranged a telephone appointment and we can discuss things then.....The GI diet is the most protein-rich one around and it seems to be the healthiest so far as 'good' fats etc. are concerned. By only going on the scales once a week it comes as a lovely surprise to see how much you've lost - so, no, don't get obsessed.
Keep going the way you are and it'll be no time until you're getting into your clothes - but, hey, why not get new stuff!!!!!

Lyn xx

Hi everyone! Sorry the text is so big, or at least it is on my computer. Haven't figured out how to make it smaller...

Anyway, I'm expecting a call from Dr. Lavin in Louisiana on Monday to discuss POSE. I am about 90 lbs overweight. Would like to at least lose 70 of that. His office puts the average female weight loss at 30 something to 41 lbs. Now, that's not too shabby but if I'm going to pay over $10,000 for surgery, I would like to be able to lose more than that. Are the female averages for weight loss the same in everyone's areas? If so, do you think that might be due to alot of ladies with not as much weight to lose getting the surgery or do you think the stomach stretches back out after awhile or something else happens to make the weight loss stop?

I want to do this for my health and I need to lose more than 30 or 40 lbs to be healthy. But, I want this to be my surgery because of how safe it seems to be so far. I feel much more comfortable with POSE as my choice than I did when I looked into the sleeve or even plication. Thanks in advance everyone!!!

Hi everyone! Sorry the text is so big, or at least it is on my computer. Haven't figured out how to make it smaller...

Anyway, I'm expecting a call from Dr. Lavin in Louisiana on Monday to discuss POSE. I am about 90 lbs overweight. Would like to at least lose 70 of that. His office puts the average female weight loss at 30 something to 41 lbs. Now, that's not too shabby but if I'm going to pay over $10,000 for surgery, I would like to be able to lose more than that. Are the female averages for weight loss the same in everyone's areas? If so, do you think that might be due to alot of ladies with not as much weight to lose getting the surgery or do you think the stomach stretches back out after awhile or something else happens to make the weight loss stop?

I want to do this for my health and I need to lose more than 30 or 40 lbs to be healthy. But, I want this to be my surgery because of how safe it seems to be so far. I feel much more comfortable with POSE as my choice than I did when I looked into the sleeve or even plication. Thanks in advance everyone!!!
Hi kayekay,
Welcome to the site. I also had POSE about 10 days ago (in the U.K.) and it is the least invasive with the quickest recovery time. From what I remember I was told by the surgeon was that people should lose about 40% of the excess weight. I don't know how they decide how much is excess though - maybe it's within the 'healthy' parameters? I think if you keep to the rules i.e. not drinking while your'e eating, don't drink fizzy drinks etc. stretching of the stomach shouldn't occur. Also, the procedure is supposed to reduce the appetite.
Hope this is of some use to you. All the best.

Lynda x

Thanks for your response Lynda! I'm so glad to find a forum of patients who have actually had the surgery. Information is so scarce, especially from people who are going through the whole process.

I'm very excited to talk with the doctor and get the ball rolling. I have tons of questions for him, lol. One I'm curious about that probably varies from doctor to doctor is smoking. Do or did any of you smoke prior to surgery? What were your doctor's rules on quitting before he would do the surgery or did you even have to quit?

Hope everyone is feeling fabulous and having a great weekend!

Hi Hopefour,

I am in Fort Myers, Florida and had the Pose on February 25 and have lost 18 pounds. My surgeon is wonderful, takes all the time for me that I need and never rushes me out.

I had some issues initially but it turned out they were from another surgery I had the same month. But I'm long recovered from those problems and doing very well.

I have to watch what I eat and mostly stay on the diet advised by my doctor. But get full quickly and am frequently surprised by how I can't finish even some favorite dishes. Although I haven't tested out chocolate ice cream and probably won't!

It's important to check out the different types of weight loss surgery in order to pick the best one for your needs. Since Pose is incision-less, it is a faster recovery than other surgeries. The only discomfort is from a sore throat for 2 or 3 days and some of the air that is left inside has to work its way out.

I am originally from Ohio, so am a Yankee too!
Thanks for the reply-I'm about the same weight as you and 5'4". I was leaning toward Florida till I heard they are in the process of switching to a different hospital and would be doing surgeries for a few weeks. I felt uneasy about the situation being in flux. Do you feel like the surgery was worth it? Do you feel you are happy to eat less? So far on here it doesn't seem anyone regrets the surgery, have you heard any one regret doing this?

Back