• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

POSE Surgery

I look forward to hearing how you get on. It's good to hear about new surgeries. I'm in Harrogate, so quite close to you.
Grace xxx

hi, i too am considering this procedure, can i ask where and when you will be having it done, im looking at manchester at a cost of £7900...

Hi there, it's great to find others on this site that are looking at the other options available now.

I am seeing the consultant at Leeds Nuffield tomorrow where they have quoted me £6800 for POSE and £12,8000 for the Gastric Pacer. I will ask them to confirm these prices tomorrow. I believe the Spire Southampton were quoting £6200 last year for POSE but not sure if this price is still current.
Which hospital in Manchester did you get this quote from?

not sure what hospital really have been dealing with national obesity surgery centre, checked with southampton yesterday and the price also was £7900...think i will give leeds a call...pose sounds ideal for me.

Its exciting to learn about these new proceedures, I will be really interested in your journeys :D Good luck XX

Well I've had it done from Leeds. The first day was very painful, I think I had really bad trapped wind, I could feel my stomach as well. The anaesthesia had it's effects and I spent most of the day/night trying to sleep through the pain. Spent 1 night there.

Steadily getting better everyday, taking a few walks from day 2 onwards. Although coughing, hick-ups and sneezing can be painful. Shoulder hurts too, apparently the stomach nerves are in the shoulder. Having spoken to others, their experience has been different.

I'm now on a 2 week fluids diet, a further 5 weeks of soft foods and then hopefully normal foods. I'm getting gelous when I see others eating foods.

Nuffield was good and I would recommend it, ask me any questions!

Hi Thinkingman, I have been thinking of you this week and especially on Tuesday and wondering how you got on. I'm really pleased that you've come back on here to share your experience.

Really sorry though that you've been in pain and hope that you are feeling a whole lot more comfortable now.

I have a few questions to ask and would be really grateful if you could answer at least some of them.....?

Did you get pain relief or was it that it didn't work?
Can you tell me what the experiences of the other patients were?
When you say liquid only, is that just mik, tea juice etc.?
Are you feeling hungry?
What sort of discomfort are you still feeling if any?
How long do you think you would be off work for?

I may think of some more but I'm hoping you will be able to update all of us as the days/weeks go by.

Best wishes, Von.

Glad it's all done for you, and you are at home recovering. Will be very interesting to follow your weight loss journey, as it's always good to know about other forms of wls.

Hope you continue to improve more and more each day.

glad you posted and really wish you all the best, i go for a pre op assesment 17th feb and hopefully get pose on 5th March, will eagerly await all your posts .

Hi Stillbig,
Great to hear you're still going for the POSE. It's good that there are now a few of us on here for comparing and sharing as well as the moral support bit.
I'm frustrated that I can't make the March date but am just awaiting a phone call to tell me the next available slot which I was told would be early April. It's a shame as having decided to go for it, I hate hanging around. Nevermind, I'll hopefully have more info from you and Thinkingman to ponder upon before my big day (not too sure if that's a good thing or not!!).
Von

von said:
Hi Thinkingman, I have been thinking of you this week and especially on Tuesday and wondering how you got on. I'm really pleased that you've come back on here to share your experience.

Really sorry though that you've been in pain and hope that you are feeling a whole lot more comfortable now.

I have a few questions to ask and would be really grateful if you could answer at least some of them.....?

Are you feeling hungry?

I may think of some more but I'm hoping you will be able to update all of us as the days/weeks go by.

Best wishes, Von.

Yes, hi. Ask away!

Did you get pain relief or was it that it didn't work? Yes I was given dissolvable paracetemol which I use all the time
, even in day 7, it's very good. They gave me some mouth wash for the soar throat and the meds to stop me feeling sick and throwing up.

Are you feeling hungry?

von said:

Are you feeling hungry?

Best wishes, Von.

I wS given paracetemol, dissolve type. Mouth wash for soar throat. And meds to stop me from throwing up. I also bought and used my own windeeze to get rid of trapped wind. More about this later.

One lady had severe shoulder pain on day one. That's all. For me, I experienced shoulder pain on the morning of day 4 or 5. I thought I had fractured a bone or something as the pain was so bad. I found out later that happens because of the carbon monoxide they use to inflate your tummy so they can see clearly when operating. This messes with your diafram which sends pain to your left shoulder. I was told that you have to get this out of your system by farting and burping, do this by heavy exercise!

I know of someone else who complained of a really long soar throat.

When you say liquid only, is that just mik, tea juice etc.? Yes, but also yogurts.

Are you feeling hungry? Day 7 not really, appetite coming back slowly but not very hungry at all. Ask me in a week!?

Shoulder pain about 3 times a day. Paracetamol solves this.

How long do you think you would be off work for? I'm going back on day 8.

Thanks for answering all my questions. I'm truly grateful. It's amazing reading people's day to day experiences on here, but of course you seem to be the only person I've found that can give this info on POSE. I'm therefore sure it won't be just me that will be reading your posts with such interest.

I think it's the liquid diet bit that I'm least looking forward to and although the pain is a real nuisance it seems like you have it under control with pain killers. Having had 3 caesarians in the past, I now recall the trapped wind from those......surprising how time heals those memories...lol

Take care, and if you have the energy, I'd be really grateful for more regular updates in a week or so? All the best on returning to work.

Von

I just found this site! I have an appointment with Mr Sufi at Bushey Spire next week to see if I am suitable for POSE. They haven't started yet so it is a bit scary.
Please tell me what you had to do before the op and how your eating is going now!
Just fantastic that you took the plunge and went ahead. How much do you want to lose?
Be great to keep in touch so please keep your diary going for the rest of us following behind.
Thanks and good luck
Susu

Hi Susu,
Great that there are more of us looking into pose. I have to say I can't wait.
According to my surgeon, there are no dietry requirements before the procedure but that the post surgery is treated like a gastric band and I have been told it will be 4 weeks liquid, although I'm hoping that the last 2 of those will be very pureed. Hopefully the others that are before us in this will fill us in on this.

I was told that their expectation of weightloss will be around 50% of any excess which equates to between 3 - 4 stone in my case. He stressed that any more than that was not that realistic but possible (hence presumably why they are only looking at people with BMI's of up to 40).

Let us know how you get on with your appointment.

All the best,
Von

Back