• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

POSE Surgery

Example of liquid diet

hi all,

just wanted to share what I'm having on this liquid diet, I've started to introduce small amounts of soft foods as you'll see:

Today:
Tea with 2 scrambled eggs
tropical juice
vanilla drink
tropical juice half glass
yogurt
yogurt

yesterday:
milk
tea
yogurt
1 and half yogurts
half apple juice glass
tea
small amount of sweet rice
tea

day before
Apple juice
tea
small milkshake
yogurt
large tomato soup
tea

day before that:
glass of orange juice
milk
tea
large milkshake
tea
yogurt
slim shake

Any thoughts?

Thanks for posting your food diary.

I'm relieved to see some soft foods have appeared, so I guess my main questions are:-

How are you feeling in general?
Are you managing at work and not too tired bearing in mind your low calorie intake?
Are you hungry (I mean stomach hungry as opposed to head hungry)?

I hope that your shoulder pain settled down and thanks for keeping us informed. I'd be very excited to hear of your ongoing weight loss as well.

Take care,

Hi,

Yes shoulder pain is gone now, can feel it slightly in the mornings but no need for pain killers.

I feel hungry at times, but fine once I've drank/eaten something I'm ok.

I do look at others eating and want to also, but what can you do?

I've not purried any food and will probably avoid doing this and just not eat tough food. I don't really understand the point of mashing food because you just need to thoroughly chew and it's the same thing I guess.

As far as I can tell, the doctors are treating the POSE the same as a band with regards to the post-diet. However, the band narrows the stomach and slows the food going in to the lower half of the stomach. The POSE makes the top half of the

Great to hear from you and so useful to the rest of us!
I couldnt read the whole post it stopped at the beginning of the last paragraph.
Susu

Sent from my iPad using WLSurgery

I agree with Susu, a very useful read but hope you are able to fill us in on what was missing.

Take care and thanks so much for continuing to fill us in. it means an awful lot to read your posts.

Missed bit

Sorry, for not completing my last message, but here goes...

As far as I can tell, the doctors are treating the POSE the same as a band with regards to the post-diet. However, the band narrows the stomach and slows the food going in to the lower half of the stomach. The POSE is different, makes the top half of the stomach smaller, but doesn't narrow it. So in my current opinion, food doesn't need to be purried or mashed as it'll go in fine unlike the band. I'm still sticking to softer food for now but will be emailing my dietician sharing my food diary with her.

Will let you Know how it goes.

Thanks for the update.

When I queried the post op diet with the surgeon at my initial consultation, the reason he gave for the liquid/pureed diet was purely to give the stomach time to heal from the sutures inserted and the general trauma of the procedure. However, if your diet passes muster with the dietician, that would be very encouraging as I am really not looking forward to the 4 week post surgery diet!!

Saw Mr Sufi tonight
He can do Pose 23 march which will be the first lot at Bushey Spire
The American surgeons are coming over to assist so this may be a great time to do it and have all the attention !
Going to discuss with OH tomorrow and decide .
I dont think the weight loss is massive but the surgeon thinks it is best way to maintain correct bmi for keeps as opposed to pure diet and all the relapses
Susu

Sent from my iPad using WLSurgery

Hi Susu, How exciting. The Americans seem to be coming over to all the hospitals that have just started to do POSE which is very encouraging and quite comforting.

Hopefully I will be only a couple of weeks after you although so frustrating that I couldn't make the March date and am still awaiting confirmation of their April dates. Still, it will be nice to be able to compare notes and be an encouragement for each other?

Anyway, no doubt you will let us know if and when you decide to go ahead.

Dear Von
The question I forgot to ask is how life is long term with pose. We read a lot about bypass and band post op where they have to avoid coke and cannot drink with food. What is your understanding of post pose? Ive left this query with Mr Sufi's secretary so will tell you when I get info
Sx

Just spoke to him
He's not happy about coke etc as it stretches the stomach . They advise that you drink before or after eating as the fluid dilutes the nutrition from the food but with pose it's not a problem if you occasionally have a drink with a meal
Sx

Are you a great coke drinker? I had a bit of a giggle about that. The rest sounds great though doesn't it?

Thanks for asking him, as I didn't get around to ask everything I wanted.

I get the impression that because there is no restriction like the band, and no problem with dumping like with the bypass, we should be able to eat normally. It's just the quantity that will be reduced. I think it's not good though if you are a grazer as I guess you would be able to pick all day long and never fill the stomach.

Anyway, have you mad a decision yet?

I was so tempted to ring the consultant's secretary today and ask if they had set a date yet but resisited. I'll leave it another week and then if I haven't heard, I'll ring.

This time next week i will have undergone pose, having it done in Manchester and the Americans will be there also..Now the panic has set! will it work? how much will i lose ? will it be enough ? what if i fail again ....its been a big decision to spend this kind of money on myself , havent told the kids , and hubby knows ive tried everything else,i will go ahead next week but now maybe wishing i wasnt one of the first to have it done..will post often cos god i know how often im checking to see if thinkin man has given an update..

Hi Stillbig (hope to be calling you something else shortly),

My feelings are very much the same as yours....will it work, can I make it work, will it be worth the money but like you I have made the decision and wish to goodness I could have it done sooner but that't out of my hands.

However, even though you will be one of the first out of the small group on here, in reality we won't be that far behind you and hopefully can support each other along the way.
I know I shall be really grateful for a blow by blow account of everything and anything you feel like writing, so look forward to reading your updates no matter how short.
I shall be thinking of you next week and really wish you well on what I hope for all of us will be a life changing procedure.
Take care and be hearing from you soon.

Hi all,

Sorry for not updating recently. So where am I now. I believe I've lost just over half a stone, and am one belt hole less (if that makes sense). I think most of weight loss is down because of the liquid diet. Now that I'm on food, I am getting fuller quicker but I'm forcing myself to eat slower as I'm still trying to work out if I'm full or not. But I am having smaller portions, about 30-40% less I think.

I still have a want for the sweet stuff, but again much smaller portions.

I'm having pasta, rice, eggs, potatoes, quiche or pasties, soups, cereals, juices, smoothies and tea. I haven't mashed or blended any food. I'm also trying to have a full glass of water between meals.

My doc said I would loose about 3 stones in about 12-18 months.

Good luck all and ask me any questions.

Reactions: Bev
Thanks so much for the update.
As you can see, there are a few of us now that look forward to hearing about your progress, no matter how small, although you must be really pleased so far.

I guess the weight loss will certainly be greater in the first month or so as your stomach heals along with having to stick to the liquid/soft food diet. However, half a stone and a belt notch down is still weight that you've lost, so that must make you feel really good.

You seem to be coping well on the eating front. Will the hospital be offering dietery advice over the next few months or are you left to make your own choices? How do you think you will approach eating....in other words, will you really try to make healthier changes or just rely on the restrction to cut down your previous consumption?

I hope you don't mind me asking this question but I'm interested to see how we all decide to approach our eating post POSE.

I assume you have coped being back at work and feeling ok now?

Thanks again for the update.

Back