• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

POSE Surgery

By the sounds of the pose if it was me I would stay well clear. It doesn't look like it gets good results have you researched the sleeve or other Wls as you could get that surgery for the same price with great results.

Definately wouldnt go with POSE! I have followed this thread since the beginning, and i am grateful for the comments here, it stopped me potentially spending money that i dont have on a procedure that doesnt work!

I am hoping to have a sleeve instead :)

Spoke the surgeon. Am also suitable for a band so am going to have that instead. Still having barium swallow tomorrow to make sure my hiatus hernia isn't too big then he will mend it at the same time. Provisional date 4th feb. Much happier now the decision is made as the decision between pose and band was really confusing me :)

Well done on choosing your surgery and I think the right decision :) lots of people have lost loads with the band and it's a great tool. So glad you didn't waste loads of money. Not long now for you :) x

Hi All
Well, I am 6 months on and, whereas POSE has not 100% met my expectations I am still nearly 2 1/2 stone lighter than I was before the procedure.
I am having to be very conscious of what I eat, and some days wish I had chosen a band, but I am pleased that I am healthier than I was.
I cannot eat as much as before - I have just eaten some pasta with my daughter and had too much and am uncomfortable; if I eat two courses I now feel unwell whereas before I would happily eat three courses....
My weight loss has been very slow, and I am hoping it will carry on (providing I make the right food choices). I put 5-7 lbs on in September as I was not eating particularly well but becoming full on junk, so I know it is possible for me to end up the weight I was before.
So, to a certain extent it has worked; I have 1 stone to lose to be comfortably in the 'healthy' BMI bracket and I hope to do that by the end of Febuary/March time. I avarage about 1 lb a week .
I am hoping the procedure will help me keep the weight off, I can't see any drastic weight loss on the horizon, and that the brain retraining from relearning protein then vegetables and then, if space, carbs that I have gone through will stay with me. I do not eat processed white foods now where possible, although will have a break from that over Christmas (!!) - hence just having polished off some pasta.
If I had to do it all again, I may well have chosen differently and feel, at times, a little 'duped' into the new procedure but I was adamant then that I would not have a band due to the failure rate and need for follow up surgery, so....
I could, however, gone and got a personal trainer, nutritionist, meals delivered etc for quite a bit less...

Best wishes to all
Toots xx

Last edited:
to the undecided !

if this is your one chance at surgery, dont chose pose ! you need guarantees your procedure will work, to many disapointed people with pose ..

Thanks guys.

It definitely is my one and only chance of WLS having had to take out a loan. I have taken your advice and opted for a band which I will have fitted on 4th feb. I can't take the risk that it will only work for a while, I do think it is a shame that it is being heralded as the new best surgery with permanent results when it only seems to work short term.

If I hadn't joined this forum I would have parted with my £8000 only to be devastated with the end result.

Having read through the thread many times, I would love to know how Von and all the others got on...

Merry Christmas. X

Pose surgery 27 th November/ follow up

Hi all .

I have been following this thread for months now .

I would love to hear from anyone whom has had this surgery .

I had mine on 27th November this year , so far lost 6 lbs .my bmi was 31 .

The surgery itself was easy , just nausea for 24 hours after and a little sore in the neck region ( understandable)

I do find I can not eat as much , although I realise this is very early days for me / hence I would love to hear how other post pose patients are getting on .

I am onto soft foods now - so happy to be off boring soup / coffee/ smoothies etc -

Looking forward to any replies

Thanks ;)

Pose surgery - any "post posers" out there

Hi

I had pose surgery a month ago - on Sunday 27 th November at Alexander hospital in Manchester . Getting on ok at the moment - weight loss 6 lbs so far / am onto soft foods now . No problems with the surgery itself .

I am concerned however to learn that the anchors seem to loose their effect after 6 months or so ( eastbruce , please if you can , I would love to hear more details)

I would love to hear from anyone out there whom has had this p.o.s.e surgery - both short term and longer term experiences.

I'm guessing , if the anchors loose their effect , does the weight creep back on again ??

Please , would love to hear from anyone out there who has had pose

Thanks a lot
X

hi Alexandrite

I dont know anything about this type of surgery, but reading the posts under yours it doesnt look that successful, I really hope yours works.

Best thing is for you to contact your surgeon and ask the question.

hope you are ok

D x

There were 3 pose patients at my last support group..one pre op and two post op. Out of the two post op, one was in tears; she had her POSE a few months ago and hasn't lost an OUNCE. The other one had lost some weight but not a huge amount. My surgeon, who always attends the support group, said that POSE is such a new procedure that there isn't enough data to formulate statistics but from what he gathers, there is a 10% total failure rate; ie 10% of those having it won't lose anything at all. It's definitely the least effective WLS so if you have a lot to lose it may not be for you. It's really only for those who really don't want any incisions, and don't mind not losing a lot.

I too looked into having this surgery. After seeing so many negative remarks I quickly discounted it for me. Yes, it is excellent for those who don't need to lose massive amounts of weight. But I also think the price is extortionate for what it is. The great British public ripped off yet again!
This surgery seems very similar to the wrap (which I,m due to have on the 23rd). But obviously nowhere near as effective. The wrap folds the stomach in on itself from outside, and POSE from the inside. I firmly believe that the POSE problems are not enough anchors. Surgeons are still being a little too delicate, and 30% (ish) reduction in the stomach is clearly not sufficient.....
I truly wish all that have had the POSE the very best of luck and satisfactory weight losses x
:character00148:

Hi
I have lost 2 1/2 stone and am now at BMI of 26.3 and size 14; POSE on June 20th
Not lost much of late, but have been lazy....and not put any on thankfully. I also did not have as much as some to lose in the first instance, my bmi being under 33.
I am not often hungry, but can still graze away so ever mindful of what I eat.
I had issues with incision surgery and needed help so it fitted the bill for me. Not a radical amount lost by me, my health and confidence are improved though, weight losss is slow --frustrating at times. I hope to reach bmi of 24, hopefully by Easter and (as long as i graze thoughtfully rather than on what my mind would like) i will get there
I understand the disappointment felt by those not losing; i would be devastated. This is not a fast working weight loss procedure and I know I am really lucky it has worked as it has for me to date
Toots x

Ps....Alexandrite...well done on losing your first 6lbs :)
Did you talk to your surgeon about anchors losing effect/weight gain? It would be interesting to hear any feedback
Toots x

Hi toots1

Wow! Many conrgats on your successful weight loss . I'm must feel fab to have such a low bmi .

I have been sent a low gi eating plan from my weight loss support company who sold the procedure to me . I intend to start this soon as I'm now onto " normal foods" I must admit some days I feel this pose op has/ is effective - others not effective at all . ( I put it down to tiredness- hence greater appetite) I have an under active thyroid so I accept my weight loss will be slow , however I intend to start back into my running 5k daily ( or min 5 days a week) so this should shift the scales slightly . The weight definitely does not come off on it's own with this op.
Toots - it sounds good that I have lost 6 lbs so far , however I had to gain this amount to be deemed suitable for surgery ( bmi 31) , so I am really back to my pre-op weight right now .
Are you following any "plan" as such ? Ie high protien ? Or low gi ?? Or similar ?

Thanks again for your reply and continued success for you / hope you get to your magic number bmi - lucky you so far and very well done so far

Alexandrite

Hi I had pose last may and didn't lose a pound with it .I have heard so many bad reports from this surgery I wouldnt recommend it to any body what ever weight loss you may need xxx

Hi there Liz
May I ask if you have managed to get support or reimbursed by your surgeon/hospital (if not too personal a q)
I see you have had a band fitted, congrats, I hope you are recovering well and not in discomfort. Did the hospital that did POSE do it for you?
I hope you have not just been left by them- it such such a huge thing, financially, emotionally, every way!
If its not to crummy to post about, it would be good to hear your experience, any feedback from the surgeon etc, could they explain why it did not work?
I hope your losses are good with your band, i am sure they will be; some of the stories posted are really inspirational
Take care
Toots x

Hi

As some of you will know I also had POSE last May. It has not been a success for me either - I would not recommend ANYBODY to have it regardless of BMI or weight to be lost.
I have contacted the Spire hospital that did the procedure and they are, basically, washing their hands of it and referring me to my surgeon, whom I had previously contacted anyway. I am, at this point, being passed from pillar to post. Their attitude is appalling and I intend to take this further.

Lyn x

Back