• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Post Op Blood Test

Hiya!
Just got my blood test results in the post this am and I am trying to work them out! LOL!

I have an appointment with my GP on Monday, but just wanted to see what everyone thought.

My MCV (Mean corpuscular volume) is low

and

My Glucose is a bit high

I was wondering, on the way to get my bloods done (5 hour drive) a ate a yoghurty cereal bar for my breakfast and I dumped. Had to pull over and shut my eyes for an hour as the exhaustion hit me. Would this make my glucose high?? It would be about 2 hours before my blood test?

If anyone knows anything about either of these I'd be very grateful!

If you were having a Glucose blood test that is normally done after fasting for 12 hours, so that would probably explain why it was high. If it was an hba1c which shows a "history" of blood sugar levels then that doesn't normally need fasting.
HTH

John, thanks for replying.

I dont know what it was!

I was not told to fast before it certainly and do not have any history of diabetes/blood sugar level problems.

It was my first blood test after the bypass and glucose is just one the things they tested, must be about 30 or so different things tested.

MCV shows the red blood cell count, if it is low can often mean a touch of anemia due to lack of iron, he might suggest a B12 injection to help rectify this. It's quite common in bypassers, so try not to worry.

A rise in glucose will be investigated further, to rule out diabetes. But mostly I think this might be a reaction to what you ate.

They will retest with a fasting glucose to be on the safe side.

Thanks Cazbandy
Thats really helpful! Just wanted to have a bit more information for seeing the doctor on Monday!

Back