• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

24 Hour Ambulatory Blood Pressure Monitor

Louanne79

Just wondering if anyone can shed some light for me.....

I went for my first appointment with the hospital last week, and even though my blood pressure is usually bang on perfect, because I was really nervous and more than a little anxious, when they tested me it was a little high. The doctor I saw said they would just check with my GP to see if my readings were usually ok, but today a letter has come to say I need to go for a 24 hour blood pressure test.
Anyone know what this is, or what it involves?
Ta.
:eek:

Its just a blood pressure cuff attached to a a machine that fits in apocket.

It -wait for it - records your BP every set time - depends what its set at for the 24 hours.

Tips - it does mean 24 hours - so it will inflate all night - and don't lay on the tubing or it will keep popping off or setting off an alarm.

It does help em understand whether your BP is really high or if you have white coat syndrome

Hope it goes OK

Angela

Thanks Angela, much appreciated :)

My husband had to have one of these. We fitted it under his shirt and he went to work as normal... he works in a Magistrates' Court and he had to tell the Magistrates not to worry if they heard a hissing sound during the proceedings, as it would be him ! :D It wasn't a problem though - he aslo wore it all night and it didn't disturb me at all. The readings it provided were very valuable.

Thanks Rose. I think I was just worried because they hadn't mentioned it at my initial appointment, then the letter arrived out of nowhere.
I won't be going to work though - the stress levels there are bound to affect my blood pressure! lol.
The appointment is on a Friday lunch time, so I'll leave work mid-morning, go to hospital and then go home. I have to go back on the Saturday, but I don't work weekends anyway, so that's not a problem.

After a change of date, my blood pressure test is now tomorrow. Am really nervous, because I had my contraceptive implant changed last week and the clinic absolutely butchered my arm! It's all holey and scabby now -not sure it can take a BP cuff for a day :eek:

Went for my test yesterday - what a joke! My own GP has no problems at all taking my blood pressure, yet at the hospital, the cuff wouldn't take a reading. Apparently my arm isn't the right shape!!!! I couldn't have the test because my upper arm is too short for a big cuff and too fat for a small one.
Not sure what the nurse in Cardiology thought when I said the best option was probably to send me round to Plastics and ask them to suck the fat out and lengthen my arm by two inches.
I've never known anything like it. Surely I can't be the only short-arm-boned fat person in the UK? :eek:

Back