• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Post Op Blues

Tazz76

I seem to feel pretty down in the dumps at the moment for no apparent reason. I started feeling under the weather yesterday afternoon. A feeling of tiredness, slight disorientation and low mood hit me all at once. It was a weird feeling, I didn't understand why I should have the low mood feeling as I'm doing reasonably well considering with my weight loss and diet etc. But as many of us have no doubt experienced my weight has hit a plateau again and I was pretty constipated too. I woke this morning in foul mood too feeling the same except the tiredness wasn't there. I feel pretty stupid having a moan and a winge when I know I'm a lot more fortunate than other people. Has anyone experienced this flood of emotions? Or am I being an idiot.

Nope, you're not being ab idiot. I was in floods of tears a few days after my op for no apparent reasons, maybe we get some kind of hormone displacement?
It's perfectly normal to feel the way that you do, so don't be too hard on yourself *Hugs*
Being constipated is horrible and makes you feel down. Drink lots of water and chew until your jaw is saw! (It's worth doing to avoid constipation)
I hope you feel better soon x

Hi John

Yup can totally relate to that and this is a great place to come and let off steam.

It honestly does get easier. I've plateaued loads of times and am finding it easier to accept each time xx

Nope, you're not being ab idiot. I was in floods of tears a few days after my op for no apparent reasons, maybe we get some kind of hormone displacement?
It's perfectly normal to feel the way that you do, so don't be too hard on yourself *Hugs*
Being constipated is horrible and makes you feel down. Drink lots of water and chew until your jaw is saw! (It's worth doing to avoid constipation)
I hope you feel better soon x

Thanks Fading Grace, glad I'm not the only one to feel low, the doc has got me on some painkillers that is causing the constipation so it's a constant battle at the moment. Which having a knock on effect, I'm trying to keep up the fluid intake. :)

I was really emotional for a few weeks post op.
Too many things to keep track of and lots of new worries and unknown physical feelings.
I've stalled for 5 days once and started a new thread to be reassured!
I too suffer from constipation and found that psyllium husks are perfect for me, but I still wake up each morning worrying about it.

I was really emotional for a few weeks post op.
Too many things to keep track of and lots of new worries and unknown physical feelings.
I've stalled for 5 days once and started a new thread to be reassured!
I too suffer from constipation and found that psyllium husks are perfect for me, but I still wake up each morning worrying about it.

Is the Psyllium husk like Ispaghula husk that is found is Fybogel? At the moment the doc has got me on Lactulose and Senna to combat the constipation. I was thinking of getting hold of some TNT to help shift my body into gear lol

Yes it have the same problem with constipation. I've been on two doses of lactulose a day now for weeks and that seems to work, although I still have days where its not as good as some. Doc said its safe enough to keep taking so I will. I know it's not for everyone though but it's certainly worked for me. Chin up, it does get easier x

Psyllium and Ispaghula are indeed the same plant.
I've never heard of TNT here in Italy but I've boosted my weight loss by adding one scoop of whey proteins to breakfast.
You should ask your team, anyway, because not all teams are happy with protein supplements.

Psyllium and Ispaghula are indeed the same plant.
I've never heard of TNT here in Italy but I've boosted my weight loss by adding one scoop of whey proteins to breakfast.
You should ask your team, anyway, because not all teams are happy with protein supplements.

Yeah my team is one of those teams that don't advocate Protein supplements. But I know protein is good for weight loss and is essential to us post op, so I don't understand why my team don't agree with us using it. Thanks for the info Bally You have given me something to think about :)

Yeah my team is one of those teams that don't advocate Protein supplements. But I know protein is good for weight loss and is essential to us post op, so I don't understand why my team don't agree with us using it. Thanks for the info Bally You have given me something to think about :)

My team wasn't that happy either but when I demonstrated that I couldn't really stick to their rule of 60g. of prots in 600 cals they gave up! :cool:

im feeling all down in the dumps today again, was like this a about a week back, i know what you mean about needing some TNT to get things moving lol, not been toliet for about 8 days now, gp has given senna and said not to worry as not much is going into my body so not much to come out when i saw her last week after day 5, think i will have to go back soon and get some TNT stuff, hope this low mood of mine doesn't last too long

a lot of this has to do with feelings of fullness, getting used to drinking liquid calories which in large enough quantities will lead to weight gain. Lastly because your capacity is limited, the additional nutrients in meat fish etc are essential. Also there are a few people who struggle in terms of intolerance and they can risk strictures if they don't progress beyond shakes. Ultimately a dietician can only advise what they think is best, we're the ones who have to live with the results.

a lot of this has to do with feelings of fullness, getting used to drinking liquid calories which in large enough quantities will lead to weight gain. Lastly because your capacity is limited, the additional nutrients in meat fish etc are essential. Also there are a few people who struggle in terms of intolerance and they can risk strictures if they don't progress beyond shakes. Ultimately a dietician can only advise what they think is best, we're the ones who have to live with the results.

You have raised some good points here Yvessa thanks for shining a bit of clarity on the subject I had never thought of it that way. :)

im feeling all down in the dumps today again, was like this a about a week back, i know what you mean about needing some TNT to get things moving lol, not been toliet for about 8 days now, gp has given senna and said not to worry as not much is going into my body so not much to come out when i saw her last week after day 5, think i will have to go back soon and get some TNT stuff, hope this low mood of mine doesn't last too long

As someone once said on here 'The Eagle finally did land', thank god lol. My body is starting to feel the benefit. But my mood is no better. Hope you start to feel better soon Mummy I totally get where your coming from how's the clot situation now?

I'm still walking around with my chin on the floor. I seem to be doing everything I should be with regards of eating, drinking and exercise. According to my consultant But my body remains stubborn with no weight loss and I'm starting to feel very sorry for myself. So far I have taken Senna, Lactulose and Fibogel. My consultant also advised against me taking Movocol, as he said my body can't cope with the amount of fluid needed to make the Movocol work. And I've hit that body size where I'm too big for one size and not small enough for the next size down. I'm really hoping next week is a better week :-(

sorry to hear your still down, i hope it lifts very soon,im still in alot of pain maybe go back to the hospital tomo as ts getting no easier and the pain is spreading so not sure if the clot has moved it hurts to walk sit and lye down m just feeling sorry for myself i think, im seeing my surgeon on tuesday hoping he can give me some advise about it and my bowel

sorry to hear your still down, i hope it lifts very soon,im still in alot of pain maybe go back to the hospital tomo as ts getting no easier and the pain is spreading so not sure if the clot has moved it hurts to walk sit and lye down m just feeling sorry for myself i think, im seeing my surgeon on tuesday hoping he can give me some advise about it and my bowel

Thanks hun. Oh no not good I hope you get some answers from your surgeon on Tues and your pain starts to get better soon. If nothing else then so you can avoid another hospital trip till you need to go on Tues. Hope you start to feel better and you get some positive vibes soon. I think I'll be making an appointment to see my GP on Mon as the constipation is pretty uncomfortable at the moment.

Hope you have a better week, Tazz - just keep on keepin' on and your body will catch up in the end.

Are you able to include some well mashed green veg (or soft fruit, like raspberries) in your meals? I've mentioned elsewhere on the June 2013 ops thread that I'm doing this and it's making a difference to how I'm feeling in eagle terms - the fibre really does help, I'm sure xx

Hope you have a better week, Tazz - just keep on keepin' on and your body will catch up in the end.

Are you able to include some well mashed green veg (or soft fruit, like raspberries) in your meals? I've mentioned elsewhere on the June 2013 ops thread that I'm doing this and it's making a difference to how I'm feeling in eagle terms - the fibre really does help, I'm sure xx

I'm using Fibogel twice daily my veg intake is moderate I know I need to pick up the slack on that. But my fruit intake is pretty good I normally have well ripened banana's, strawberries, Melons and grapes.

Tazz, I'm not sure if I've already asked, are you drinking enough fluids?

Yeah I'm pretty sure I am. I aiming for around 2 litres of fluid daily. But I have an issue with water so I use sugar free or NAS squash but I drink flavoured water too

Back