• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Post op complications

lifebeginsnow

I have been following everyone's progress on this forum and you have all done amazingly well. Your experiences definitely helped me decide to go down the op route myself.

Up to recently i have had no worries about the process, apart from just survivng the operation itself, which i know is normal. However, recently it seems that a lot of you have had some sort of complication after the operation i.e sickness, dehydration, stomach cramps/upsets, wind pain & other unidentified pain that a couple of people seem to be suffering at the moment, sore throats, dumping & food intolerance with foods which should be ok & having stretches etc. I must admit i am finding this quite scary.

i'm not sure if its because these sorts of complications are common, or that the majority of people do not suffer much at all & it just seems more of a problem because there is such a high concentration of people who have had bypasses on this forum.

Do you think its wise for me to just assume there will be some sort of complication(s) to deal with afterwards? and is there anyone who would do things differently pre/post op to avoid any of these problems (if they are avoidable)?

I would not consider changing my mind as regards to the op, as all of the above would be worth the chance of being 'normal'.

Would appreciate your comments

Thanks in advance

You tend to see threads all the time about 'complications' because this is what we try and help people with. If you started a thread which asked, 'Who has had a trouble free recovery?' you might be surprised at the amount of replies.

Me, personally, it's been trouble free. The only 'Complication' has been slowing myself down! :)

Hi Karen,

I thought your thread is excellent, I must say I have noticed this too.

I am assuming that I will just be unlucky if I have complications, but if there is any there seems to be a wealth of help on here and back up from the team you go with.

As mixman says it probably looks worse because they come on here for extra help.

Last edited:
Hi Karen i agree with the above posts. I have had a more or less trouble free year since my op. I also think that people have problems and immediatley think there linked to their bypass and i dont think this is always the case. Please try not to worry xxx

Hi karen,

Its normal to have worries before the op, and I personally believe its vital to understand what complications could occur before going ahead with such a life changing operation.

People tend to post if something is wrong to seek advice/reassurance that its nothing major. People rarely post to say everything is wonderful as it can be perceived as showing off. Read peoples diary threads though and you will see many people who have gone through their weight loss journeys with no problems at all.

My only "complication" has been gallstones but I could have ended up with those with any form of rapid weight loss. Otherwise, my journey has been pretty "uneventful".

Hope that helps x

Dumping and food intolerances will happen to quite a few bypassers but I wouldn't call them complications. Very easy to avoid. Like for me... never again will I touch Skittles.

For me, the only complication I have had is very low blood pressure which is causing me to faint often but this would have been a problem whenever I lost weight and isn't related to the bypass. It is just something that is wrong with me as a person.

I should have thought any kinda surgery would bring complications (if you're unlucky). Knowing what could happen is giving us chance to prepare mentally for it. Knowing we can discuss them here is even better xxx

I was the opposite and thought I'd sail through with no complications! lol

It's natural to worry about complications but the most that people have posted about are fixable. Mine for instance was a tightening to the entrance to my pouch. I had 2 stretches and everything has been fine since. The last stretch I was back at work the day after so it's not such a big deal.

Plus most people (myself included) will only post threads when they have problems or worries in order to ask for help. Not many people will post an 'I'm fine, nothing's happening' post so that's why you'll see people seeking advice for problems.

Other than sickness in the first few days after the op it's been plain sailing for me too with no problems, touch wood, at all. :D

Cuppa xx

Karen i no it all looks scary as when i had had my op the first 2weeks i thought what have i done to myself why did i do this.with all the pain after the op i would still do it again.you no what they say.NO PAIN NO GAIN. good luck

Thanks for all your reassuring comments, i feel a bit more confident now in what im going to do to myself.

At least if i do have any problems, i will be able to call on all your experiences for guidance x

Hi Karen
I'm another one with a completely pain free uncomplicated recovery. Things like trapped wind are common but nothing to worry about and although i have loose skin i'm a 48 year old mother and granny so didn't relly expect anything else. Easy to say but try not to worry as Mixie says there are lots of positive stories on here but as Sam says it is important to be aware of all the possibilities. Good Luck Karen with your journey xx

Hi Karen,
I am another with no complications so far. I did my research and felt totally confident in my surgeon, lots of folks on here have been Ammoried and all has gone well. You are in very safe hands. Post op, just follow the rules, and I am sure you will also be fine. There are no guarantees, for any surgery, but keep reading the diaries and you will see the majority of us do fine. If you have any more concerns or worries, this is the place to voice them, and we will all do our best to help and support you.

Have to agree with everyone else on here - most people don't highlight when everything is going well only when there are problems so its slightly misleading. I'm another that's had no complications (only a very early episode with dehydration but totally my fault as I didn't drink enough and ended up in hospital, now I drink my 2 litres and haven't had any problems since), I don't dump, never sick, can eat any type of food (more's the pity) and generally feel fitter than I have done since my 20s. I had more problems with my gallbladder removal in 2003 and ended up in hospital for well over a month. I would concentrate on all the health pluses that the operation will give you, althoughy its very sensible to be aware that there could be difficulties (as with all operations not just wls).

Good thread, am very interested in the replies, as may be getting my bypass in July, after four years of waiting. There are always doubts that go through people's minds, and more so in my case, being almost 53, that the recovery will be more difficult.
Thanks to everyone that has posted, will keep coming back to look xxx

Back