• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What if you need revision

DOVES

I'm up bright an early today so thought I would pop on to ask all you lovely people a question.

If you are having a band done privately and you then have complications later down the line such as band slipping etc - where do you stand - do you get a guarantee as such and your original surgeon fixes or is this an accepted complication that is not a surgeon's fault?? I'm panicing that I will pay out the money for the band then it doesn't work (because of fault) and I'm stuck with it as I won't have the cash to pay for another one???

Would the NHS take over at this point???

Please help put my mine at ease :confused::confused:

My understanding is that the NHS would take over if your health was at risk, and remove the band, but it is extremely unlikely that they would replace it.

I *think* that most band providers only offer a 28 day guarantee as such, so if your band goes wrong after that (unless you can prove the surgeon/hospital are in some way negligent or liable) then you have no cover.

There was a lady on here not so long ago who's band had failed, and she was having a right nightmare trying to get it replaced. The original provider weren't willing to do anything for her, the band's manufacturer were denying all responsibility but offered a new band free of charge, however she would have to pay a surgeon to fit it still.

sorry its not more positive news but shel is correct most band providors only offer a 28 day guarantee and you would have to pay for a band removal, i had band revision but i was lucky to be a nhs patient. the nhs will not take responsabilty for faulted bands and as shel says they would only remove it if your health was put at risk, i know a couple of people that have a faulted band inside them but its not putting them at risk so they have it still in situ because they cant afford a replacement because the providor doesnt accept responsabilty. port replacements ect would normally have to be payed for as well. failed ports are usually more common than failed bands, check properly with your providor and ask for a price list for you to keep for the prices of diferent revision surgerys.

liz x

Do your research hun as there are plenty of providers that offer a longer guarantee. In fact at Healthier Weight if you have the telemetric band you get 2 years. If anything goes wrong they will take it out and replace it free of charge.

So many people think that private providers do not help after because it is about making money. This is not the case for a lot of them. At the end of the day if they turned their backs on a patient once they had the op then they would not get many new patients through the door.

So do your research and you will find providers with great aftercare and guarantees.

Back