• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Post Op Over The Counter Meds for Diabetics

TwinkleTwinkle

A Very Happy Bunny
Hi, Another question you may be able to answer for me - you havn't let me down yet, lol. :)
I suffer from really bad sinusitis & since becoming diabetic I cannot take over the counter meds ie; Sudafed (or so the Pharmacist says) but have never been given a reason why so have come to my own conclusion that it may be related to the base glucose content. Now, as I have been told that my diabetes stands a good chance of going after surgery, my question is, will I then be able to take Sudafed etc? I know it will probably be down to the individual's sugar tolerance level but just wondered if anyone has any experience of this or similar ... I await with baited breath :D:D xx

Denise, that is such a good question. I have been diagnosed diabetic since 2004, and there appear to be many over the counter medications that I am told I am unable to have. I normally contact my surgery and they will provide a prescription for something I can have usually within the hour.

As I have been told by my diabetic consultant that as soon as I have my surgery I shall have to reduce a lot of my diabetic medication ... I am hoping that may change. But I can't be sure.

I am advised that all I can have is paracetamol and olbas oil.

I know that the pseudoephidrine in sudafed can raise blood sugar in some people ... but its probably different for everyone!

I also look forward to hearing replies from those with the experience!!

xxx

You will always be diabetic just not need meds!Have you tried Sinutab for the sinusitis?Most liquid meds have some form of sugar added.

Back