• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Trapped wind in the first 48 hrs post surgery

Roch

Shrinking away nicely :)
Morning all well with my surgery just 3 days away:D:D i am just making sure i have all that i need in my massive suitcase :D:D
One thing i have read many times is that there is a good chance that i might get some quite painful trapped wind, i do suffer from it occasionally and i know how painful it can be.
I am allowed to take one of my meds"oxycontin" in tablet form as its about 1/3 size of a paracetamol and i was wondering if i would be able to take in with me some other tiny tabs about the same size as my meds for trapped wind, or should i take some baby gripe water.
I know most people say that walking around helps shift the trapped wind but i am not able to say how mobile i will be as i have walking probs and am now going through a bad flare up of sciatica, and because i am on such mega strong drugs at the mo and with pain relief from the hospital added on top there is a good chance even if i am able to walk i will be 2 out of it to leave my bed.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated thanks, luv Roch xx

Hi Roch

again, each hospital is different. Some posts on here have said they could take tables straight away. My team said not to take tabs without crushing them until I was on the pureed stage!

I didn't know about the trapped wind issue and boy did I suffer with it. Anyone who's asked me since, I've told them to take gripe water in with them as all my hospital offered was peppermint water YUK! and it didn't do much.

One of my friends had her op two weeks ago and she used gripe water and said it really helped.

Are you excited?

Good luck x

Hi Roch

again, each hospital is different. Some posts on here have said they could take tables straight away. My team said not to take tabs without crushing them until I was on the pureed stage!

I didn't know about the trapped wind issue and boy did I suffer with it. Anyone who's asked me since, I've told them to take gripe water in with them as all my hospital offered was peppermint water YUK! and it didn't do much.

One of my friends had her op two weeks ago and she used gripe water and said it really helped.

Are you excited?

Good luck x

Hi gail ty for gettig back to me so quick, yes i am excited and nervous at the same time which i know is normal.
Am just off now to the chemist so will pick up some gripe water and see if i can squeeze it into my very full bulging suticase.
How are u doing xxx

Last edited:
I'm doing ok. Eating a variety of different foods, fingers crossed, nothing has made me sick so far and 20lbs down since the op.

My son commented last night on how much thinner my face was. Though that was nice of him as most teenagers don't pay attention to anything! ha ha

I'm sure everything will go really well for you. It's great to finally get there. x

That's a really good question!! I've just bought a couple of packs of Wind-Eze I think it's called but hadn't considered they might not allow me to have them. Gripe water seems an excellent idea though so will stick some on my list now :D

Can't believe it's all come round so quickly, first Ellen last week and now you this week, hardly seems any time at all since we were all comparing notes about our first meetings with Kirsten & Lucy!!

Congrats on the weight loss this week too, you've done amazingly well hun!!! Are you doing the milk diet? I'm thinking I might do that too. Do two weeks of low-carb then two weeks of milk diet but I'll speak to Lucy about it first.

All the best for next week if I don't see you before as I probably won't be around so much this weekend. Take care hun xxx

Hi Roch!

I bought gripe water and wind tablets before my bypass but didn't suffer from it at all.....still got them in the cupboard!

Pleased your surgery is nearly here....good luck with it!

Amanda

Was talking to someone yesterday and she suggested a hot water bottle.

I guess it works on the principle that hot air rises; so press the hot water bottle at the site of the pain in order to help the wind move. Also you need to start being mobile asap - no point in taking pain for trapped wind as it won't get rid of it; it'll just numb the pain.

xxxxxxxxxxxx

As I'm from the USA, could someone tell me what gripe water is?? I've never ever heard of it..lol

As I'm from the USA, could someone tell me what gripe water is?? I've never ever heard of it..lol

It's generally used for babies who have colic / wind, apparently it doesn't taste very nice but does the job!

Hi Roch
I too had the lovely peppermint water in hospital it was vile but to be honest my trapped wind only caused minor problems in the first two days. I do believe gripe water is one of the best remedies i used movicol for toilet purposes and believe me the wind didn't have a chance to be trapped lol. You can get that on prescription from your doc xx

So sorry, never thought to google "gripe water". Well now I know. It is over-the-counter here in the US, but its regulated by the FDA. I shall have to try it if I have a problem after my surgery, which I'm sure i will. Learn something new everyday. Thank you much..

That's a really good question!! I've just bought a couple of packs of Wind-Eze I think it's called but hadn't considered they might not allow me to have them. Gripe water seems an excellent idea though so will stick some on my list now :D

Can't believe it's all come round so quickly, first Ellen last week and now you this week, hardly seems any time at all since we were all comparing notes about our first meetings with Kirsten & Lucy!!

Congrats on the weight loss this week too, you've done amazingly well hun!!! Are you doing the milk diet? I'm thinking I might do that too. Do two weeks of low-carb then two weeks of milk diet but I'll speak to Lucy about it first.

All the best for next week if I don't see you before as I probably won't be around so much this weekend. Take care hun xxx

Good question Roch. Seems gripe water is popular so may get myself some too.

Twiggie - definitely check with Lucy about the pre-op diet. They've changed the times of things (see my latest post) and you have to do liquid for 4 weeks just like the food one...and you can't mix them. I'm on day 1 today! Was fine till about 2 hours ago...now starving. Ahhhhh :D:D

Good question Roch. Seems gripe water is popular so may get myself some too.

Twiggie - definitely check with Lucy about the pre-op diet. They've changed the times of things (see my latest post) and you have to do liquid for 4 weeks just like the food one...and you can't mix them. I'm on day 1 today! Was fine till about 2 hours ago...now starving. Ahhhhh :D:D

Hi Lisa fill urslef up with loads of fluids, the first week will be the hardest then it will get much easier. Are u doing the low carb whitt diet.
I stayed full by drinking loads of diet fizzy drinks and nas fizzy flavoured water.
Am sure u will do fine xxx

Hun u have to stick to one diet only ur not allowed to mix them, and the Whit are adamant bout that, unfortunately i messed up the low carb one the day my Tia got knocked over by some bas*ard in a hit and run accident then it was my dad`s first anniversary of his death and what did i do turn to food like normal and very nearly postponed my op as was so worried bout my liver and could not focus as all i was doing was crying continually.
I am still seriously worried bout my liver but i have lost a stone this week :D and not deviated once and peeing for the world and eve gone down a size this week which shocked me big time :D:D:D looks like i had massive water retention. I hope my liver is small enough as am so scared to be opened up and close up again without my op as i think that would break me big time and tbh if i did not get my surgery now or it was postponed i dont think i could cope.
Thanks and chat soon well not 2 sure when lol xx

Roch, when you were on the whitt milk diet, were you having bovril/marmite drinks? You said you perked up the last couple of days after having the chicken, that maybe as a result of having some salt in your diet. Just a thought. xx

Well i have gripe water and windeze gel tab they are really tiny and i have been told i am allowed to take my normal pain meds in tablet form so hopefully i can take the windeze as they are smaller.
Either way as long as i have something that works am not bothered which i take xx

Roch, when you were on the whitt milk diet, were you having bovril/marmite drinks? You said you perked up the last couple of days after having the chicken, that maybe as a result of having some salt in your diet. Just a thought. xx

Noooooooo cant bear them, i 2 think it might of been the salt as i feel fab since last night eve got a massive boost of energy :D:D:D:D:D

I had my op on a Saturday and post op was on IV meds until the Sunday lunchtime when they gave me paracetamol caplets to take. My wind was very painful so they also gave me codeine tablets. It does seem that each hospital varies with how quickly you move on to tablets. I wasn't able to walk around much, but just getting up to the loo every 3-4 hours helped to shift the wind.
I'm sure if you need more pain relief they will provide it. When my pain was at its worst (21 hours from start of surgery) they gave me a shot of morphine.

Back