• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

pre-op diet and food

pumpkin28

Well, I have started my two-week milk diet and during this time (since Friday), I feel as if I am going crazy without food. Going crazy without bingeing and just eating normally. I have realised how addicted I am to food and I am quite worried about this that perhaps I am going in for surgery for nothing. What if I cannot control myself even having had the bypass? I feel as if I want to raid my kitchen and eat anything and everything I can see.

After having surgery, did anyone's attitude towards food change? Is food still a priority as it was before?

Thanks for reading my rant. :sigh:

Hun, I'm sure everyone has had the same concerns at some time before having their op. I know I have MANY times since getting my date!!! I've found it so hard not to eat the crap I usually eat but KNOW deep down that this op will hopefully help me start to have some control over it! I know it isn't some miracle cure and we obviously will only get out of it what we put it but you'll learn to use your "tool" wisely, just as everyone else has and you'll do great!! This time next year you'll be a new person!!!!

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks Meggie for your help.

Very hard indeed :(

This is my last chance frankly at losing weight so I hope I don't screw this up this time.

xxx

Hi Pumpkin, this is something we all go through sweetheart and probably still do even post op. Once you have had your op your attitude towards food will change dramatically. Hang on in there and you will get through it with determination and loads of help and advice from the lovely bypass peeps here. Good luckxxxx

Hi pumkin, like the others have said i'm sure we were all similar to you. From the moment i got up to the moment i went to bed i was thinking constantly 'what can i eat next', every minute of every day i would be thinking of how fat and ugly i was, now 8 months post op i have lost 8 stone and feel fantastic, i now go out of my front door with my head held high! My attitude to food has changed it's gone from being my best friend to being an aquaintance, i enjoy it's company from time to time instead of being with eachother 24/7 this is definatley the result of my bypass. I found the first 4 days pre-op diet horrendous but a light went out after day 4 and found the next 10 days fine. The first 4 days of my pre-op and the first 2 weeks directly after my bypass op have been so far for me the hardest part of my weightloss journey but hey i'd swap 2wks and 4 days for 8 stone anyday!!!!

Once I had booked a date, I ate and ate. All those things I thought I would never eat again. I was obsessed with making sure I ate everything I could. Luckily I managed to stick to the pre op diet by telling myself why I was doing this. I am yet to discover if food is still such an obsession as I am only 4 days post op. Do hang in there, you have come this far. I wish you luck on your journey.

Hi Pumpkin, the first few days of the pre-op diet is always very hard. Stick in there and it will get better. Your/everybodies "food addiction" does/will get better. You just won't have the nagging hunger after the op, your head is another thing and it takes a while for it to catch up. This disinterest in food carries on for a while, the length of time seems to be different for everyone but I am 11 weeks post op and still very rarely feel hungry, that is probably thirst more than hunger.

Lets face it, you just won't be able to eat as much as you did before the pre-op diet without feeling stuffed and/or unwell.

Good luck with your op and we will all look forward to following your journey.

John xx

I thank you all.

I feel as if I am mourning food. How weird. Never thought that food was such a big force in my life or I knew but didn't want to admit it. Quite embarassing and sad really but hey ho...

Thanks guys xxx

Hiya Pumpkin, i can remember what it was like when i only had 10 days to go, the first few days was the worst i was always hungry but it does get easier, i to before i started it seemed to go crazy and ate all my favourite foods that i new i would never be able to eat again, did me no favours what so ever wish i never did it:( Im nearly 4 weeks post op and lost 2 stone so far and im thrilled to bits, its coming off slow and steady so far which is great:) Ive not been tooo hungry but managing to control with things im alowed to have. I look at chocolate now and just think whats the point i carnt have it anyway. Good luck with your pre op diet hun:)

Sharon xx

Hi Pumpkin - i'm on the pre op diet too so i can sympathise with you at the moment.
The hospital phoned me with a cancellation slot last Wednesday night, so i had to start the diet on the Thursday morning. As i was trying to be good i had no "crap" in the house so couldn't indulge in a last treat or have any final "blow out" meals. I too feel a sense or mourning, and felt quite ashamed that i felt this way, so it's nice to hear someone else say it !
I am very committed to the changes i need to make and am very excited about the opportunity but i'd be lying if i said that i wouldn't miss the junk food !!
But, it's got to be done i guess !
I've been doing the milk and fruit diet and i've not struggled too much during the day, but when my hubby has his tea i start salivating a bit. I'm craving toast, its driving me mad !

Hi Pumpkin - i'm on the pre op diet too so i can sympathise with you at the moment.
The hospital phoned me with a cancellation slot last Wednesday night, so i had to start the diet on the Thursday morning. As i was trying to be good i had no "crap" in the house so couldn't indulge in a last treat or have any final "blow out" meals. I too feel a sense or mourning, and felt quite ashamed that i felt this way, so it's nice to hear someone else say it !
I am very committed to the changes i need to make and am very excited about the opportunity but i'd be lying if i said that i wouldn't miss the junk food !!
But, it's got to be done i guess !
I've been doing the milk and fruit diet and i've not struggled too much during the day, but when my hubby has his tea i start salivating a bit. I'm craving toast, its driving me mad !

Hey Jayne - I so hear you. I am only allowed milk, or slimfast with milk and yoghurt, tea/coffee. no fruit allowed.. :( i am a bit lactose intolerant so my tummy isn't feeling that great. i might call my dietician maybe i can switch to lactose-free milk.

i totally understand what you are going through. The good news is that you are having your surgery real soon and earlier than expected so that is always a plus. i'm here if you need to rant. dont worry. lots of luck with your pre-op diet :love047:

Back