• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Pre-op diet - cough/throat sweets

I have developed a sore throat and am desperate to have a lozenge or something to soothe it. But I'm on my pre-op diet as surgery is only 12 days away. I've put off getting anything but I'm not sure I can cope much longer - and I think my colleagues are going to kill me as I keep clearing my throat!

So - should I suck a throat sweet, or suck it up?

I have developed a sore throat and am desperate to have a lozenge or something to soothe it. But I'm on my pre-op diet as surgery is only 12 days away. I've put off getting anything but I'm not sure I can cope much longer - and I think my colleagues are going to kill me as I keep clearing my throat! So - should I suck a throat sweet, or suck it up?
I'm not really sure what to suggest about sucking a throat sweet but have you tried popping to the pharmacy and asking if they do a throat spray that might work?! Just a thought xx Hope you feel better soon xx

Last edited:
I'm not sure what the answer is, but I'm in a similar boat as I have a raging sore throat, am 5 weeks post-bypass and am worried about the amount of sugar in normal throat lozenger. Reading the labels they seem to be almost pure sugar!

As Sophina suggested, why not try a throat spray. I've got one called Ultra Chloraseptic and I bought it over the counter in Tesco. It tastes vile but is taking the edge off the pain. I also got Strawberry Sugar Free Strepsils which I think are likely to cause less problems than the regular sugary version but even so I'm limiting to 2-3 a day.

I noticed you said you've got 12 days left on your pre-op diet, so I'd have thought this far out you'd be okay with an occasional lozenge, but I guess the only way to be certain would be to contact your provider and ask them.

Potter x

Brill - thanks for the advice guys. I was hesitant in calling the clinic in case they thought I was going to be ill for surgery and then cancel it!

Back