• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Milk Diet and a rotton Cold ... Help

dawnyc

Hi everyone
Does anyone know what cold remedies etc we are allowed to use while on the pre op Milk Diet.
I start mine today and have come down with a stinking cold and sore throat. Any advice is welcome as not sure if medications, lemsips etc can be taken
Thanks all
xx

Lemsip is basically hot lemon with paracetamol so as long as it is sugar free I can't see a problem but do check with your team. On of the best cold cures I know is Hot milk and two paracetamols.
Actually thinking about it, the lemon may curdle the milk urghh

Lol I agree, wouldn't fancy the curdling, I'll check with hospital tomorrow
Thanks anyway xx

I felt like that on the milk diet but didn't actually get flu etc. I was terrified they'd postpone my bypass but they didn't. Good luck :)

Thanks j-mo yeah just worried in case I get a cough.. Mind you with all this milk I think it's watering it down lol xx

Hi Dawn
When I get a cold I usually use zinc supplement (boosts immune system) in addition to multivitamins daily both are okay to take before surgery (unlike echinaecea which needs to be stopped 7 days pre op).
For sore throat I usually use honey but with diet it might not be advised for more than 1-2 days however Boots do an own brand antiseptic numbing throat spray which will help soreness.
Other things to help clear congestion are menthol crystals which you drop in hot water and inhale, vick vapour rub and olbas oil.
Good luck and hope it clears soon.

Denise

Thanks ladies trying everything to make me feel better ... Definitely try the crystals tomorrow I forgot about those
Xxx

Back