• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

pre op diet

Wobbly71

I went for my consultation yesterday with THG and the pre op diet didn't really seem that important to them.

They worked out my BMI to be 44 and i was told to go away and lose 7 pound.

They mentioned the milk diet but I said I couldn't drink milk so basically told to do a 1000cal a day diet.

I queried liver shrinkage and carbs but she said just get the 7 pound off??

Does this seem right x

hi there if this helps i was banded at dolan park on the 30/7/12, just short off 2 weeks ago..i went for consultation at end off june. was advised to lose abit, i was bmi 43..i spent weeks thinkin it over and over.. then on the 17 or 18th july i decided to have band fitted, payed and everythin g..i got a cancellation op which meant i didnt have much time to do pre op.. just eaten an healthy uncalorie counted diet with drink...i had the operation successfully , no complication. and a normal anatomy the surgeon said..resulting so far to have lost 16lb so far.. hope this helps

Thanks for that.

I start pre-op diet tomorrow, but the same as all my lifeI have had a blow out since Thursday. SO the initial 6-7 pound I had to loose is now closer to 10 - 12 pound (not sure on my scales).....

SO tomorrow I am starting. I have some exante shakes from a failed attempt so I am going to use them as part of my diet.

Trying to have 3 a day plus a bit of protein and salad.

Will report back.

Starting to feel really anxious now about the op. But there again I am a soft a**e with anything like this.

I know on the day I will be ill with nerves.

Anyone else feel this bad...

Speak soon x x

Yes, I have really bad nerves about it all. I have a fear of anaesthetic anyway, and its taken me 7 years to book my surgery . . .and now its only 10 days away, I'm struggling with not cancelling. People say "oh its a breeze" or "Oh don't worry" . . .but that really doesn't help.

I totally understand how you feel. My date will be 2nd or 3rd week of September for a bypass. I am terrified of needles and blood tests and spent two sleepness nights before the pre op blood test.

I'm just thinking that if I don't have this done now and carry on as I am now, I am going to develop serious health conditions and end up having surgery or lots of hospital visits or be dead in 10 years.

Good luck with everything, it is human nature to be nervous. I'm sure you will be fine:)

Thanks everyone.

Started pre-op diet yesterday. Had

Brekkie - slimfast

Lunch - tin of tuna and 2 ryvita

Snack - slinfast

Tea - chicken and salad and sugar free jelly.

Emailed the co-ordinator and she said that looked fine x

Hi there, I think that one way or another everyone is anxious before they have any blood tests or op's of any kind.

The night before my op I was horrible to my poor hubby, I really couldn't be bothered speaking to him and the drive down to Birmingham was spent in silence for nearly 3.5 hours....but it will be over and done with before you know it, and apart from some slight pain and discomfort more from the wind than anything else....you will be okay.

I focussed on the alternatives of not having surgery, I would get larger that each year that went by, my BMI was 44 and I knew that I was at risk of developing heart disease and/or diabetes.

I knew that this for me was the only way that I could lose the weight having tried and failed numerous times at various diets hell I could even set up a second hand book stall with all the diet books that I have.

I was speaking to my dietician today and was surprised that it was only 2 months ago since I had surgery. In that time I have lost 2 stone, I feel more in control and happier than I have in a long time. I go to the gym and swim nearly everyday this is a choice that I made to help with toning up the flabby skin.

Good luck with the op and wishing you a speedy recovery :)

I totally understand how you feel. My date will be 2nd or 3rd week of September for a bypass. I am terrified of needles and blood tests and spent two sleepness nights before the pre op blood test.

I'm just thinking that if I don't have this done now and carry on as I am now, I am going to develop serious health conditions and end up having surgery or lots of hospital visits or be dead in 10 years.

Good luck with everything, it is human nature to be nervous. I'm sure you will be fine:)

I had been asking for a long time for help to lose weight, with very little forthcoming. I have lived quite a healthy life, i have always had an active job where i am on my feet all day, have always ate n cooked healthy, was the amount and the snacking that did me the diservice, i also like tot go out and drink, cider or wine, which put my weight on also. When my doc finally decide that i would be a good candidate for bariatric surgery i was elated but reserved it meant an operation and i was scared. I have 2 grown up children and a hubby kids are 23 and 25 now. I had an op when i was in my late 20's and didnt have agood experience. As the 2 years wait went over I had more time to think which isnt always a good thing but think i did, i was excited but disappointed at the waiting times, endless mo nth sof not planning holidays out or trips away for weekends hoping my date would arrive. Finally i got a call and had 5 weeks to sort myself out, the panic started, went for preop- high bp she said may not operate if id didnt come down i usually had low bp. Had to go to the docs every other day to get it checked and even though it had come down a little it was still v high. The day i went in was a very exciting but nerve racking one everyone was scared for me n worrying I was worrying bout bp and the op not happening, I was scared bout the op but knew this was my one chance had to do it, nurse took bp said it was high but had seen higher that was that i was staying the relief i felt was amazing, I was 1 st down the very next morning, up before 6 shower, sexy stockings on gown and lay on bed waiting for anaethetist, who assured me i had nothing to worry about after my last hiccup of an op. Doc came n wewnt then i went down, very calm never cried was so proud of myself, would never have thought it of myself usually would be a wreck i am if i go to dentist, neva mind operation. The only bit of panic was as they were puttin drip in for anaesthetic, i wondered if it was the right thing i was doing then i woke up and it was all done. If i can do it then anyone can ladies it sonly natural to panic if i was ever to have HEARTATACK it would have been the fortnight leading upto it that nurse put the fear of God into me, I walked round in a daze, weeping n wailing and people saying well if its not meant to be, this was my big chance and i didn't want to blow it, thought bugger them all but i did it, i left that hospital 6 ft tall it was an amazing experience and is continuing that was 1 year ago on the 20th August and I ' m doing ok, go on girls be brave and strong you can do this, we've tried other ways and failed thats why we are here at this very point. xx good luck lovelies xx;):D:):p

Hi there, I think that one way or another everyone is anxious before they have any blood tests or op's of any kind.

The night before my op I was horrible to my poor hubby, I really couldn't be bothered speaking to him and the drive down to Birmingham was spent in silence for nearly 3.5 hours....but it will be over and done with before you know it, and apart from some slight pain and discomfort more from the wind than anything else....you will be okay.

I focussed on the alternatives of not having surgery, I would get larger that each year that went by, my BMI was 44 and I knew that I was at risk of developing heart disease and/or diabetes.

I knew that this for me was the only way that I could lose the weight having tried and failed numerous times at various diets hell I could even set up a second hand book stall with all the diet books that I have.

I was speaking to my dietician today and was surprised that it was only 2 months ago since I had surgery. In that time I have lost 2 stone, I feel more in control and happier than I have in a long time. I go to the gym and swim nearly everyday this is a choice that I made to help with toning up the flabby skin.

Good luck with the op and wishing you a speedy recovery :)

Thanks for this. Its good to hear from people who've had it done. I have the journey down from hartlepool! Long journey and mr halstead is doing my op as well.

Good luck with your weight loss and keep in touch x

I have not heard one bad thing about Mr Halstead he is really lovely and explains everything to you, even when you go into the operating theatre he is there talking to you, the anaestist but the canula in my hand and tbh I thought that would hurt like hell but they are really gentle with you.

Even now when it comes to the infills the nurses have said that he puts the port under the muscle so when you do lose the weight its not visible.

It is a nerve racking experience, but you are really in good hands.:)

Great replies from everyone. Been doing good on my pre op diet but going to step it up a notch tomorrow and try doing exante 3 shakes plus chicken and salad. Hopefully lose a lot on that in the 10 remaining days x

Can't believe I'm actually doing this x x

Back