• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

pre op diet

vonny

been thinking and really need to loose some major wight before the 4th feb i dont want doctors to have any cause to cancel my op. Ive come to far to fall at the last hurdle.
Anyway i was wondering if someone can give me the milk diet. I've tried low fat and slim fast but none seem to be working im also worried incase my body doesnt agree with the milk diet just like the slim fast one, then when it comes to the pre op diet i wont be able to go through with the milk diet.
thanks in advance xxx

can anyone help?

Hiya, I think ( but don't hold it to me and don't speak from experience) the milk diet is 4 pints semi skimmed milk, minimum 4 pints water, 1-2 oxo or bovril drinks and 1 sugar free jelly.
If you can't tolerate milk you can do a different diet apparently. From what I've read each hospital has differrent diets.
Good luck for your next appointment.

Hey a local lass, lol
The milk diet isn't really about losing eight its about shrinking your liver. How far are you along the journey?

milk diet

This is the milk diet that my niece was on but I'm doing the 1000 calorie diet at the moment.
Total 2.5-3.5l fluid per day (including your milk)
2 pints semi skimmed milk, hot/cold flavoured with vanilla or coffee only.
1-2 low fat diet yoghurts per day <60kcals/100g-maximum 250g
an extra 2 pints of fluid water,flavoured water,diluted juice,sugar free squash,tea,coffee,fruit and herbal teas.
one multi vitamin and mineral tablet and an extra calcium supplement
Avoid alcohol and all food other than stated in your pre op diet.
You should talk to your dietician about whether this is right for you x:)

Sorry chick, I did the low-carb liver reducing diet, lost 15 lbs in about 10 days, and my liver was small enough for surgery.

It was basically 4 portions of lean meat or eggs a day, 2 portions of dairy and 1 portion of skimmed milk. 1 portion of carbs a day - small potato or piece of bread. 2 portions of fruit and unlimited veg (except baked beans, broad beans). Tea and coffee and sugar free juice fine. And then lots and lots of water.

The milky one sounds difficult, I loved the unlimited veg and a small jacket with light Philadelphia :)

Good luck! x

thank you all
Stephysimbow what weight is the 4 portions i think i prefer the sound of this one lol.
and Daftmoo im having my surgery on 23rd feb at the homerton i really dont want to give them any excuse to cancel hense trying to shift the weight i put on and a little more if poss xxx

If I was you I wouldnt consider the milk diet yet,go for slimming world high protien low carb,low fat.What if your op is cancelled in Feb you could be on it for ages and be ill.It is not for weightloss only to shrink the liver,when they say shrink they dont mean it gets smaller as such but less swollen and hard.Surgeon needs a soft floppy liver to move out of the way for wls.The liver swells and gets harder with excess fat stores glycogen I think it is.It is only recommended for 1/2 weeks pre op.

vonny said:
thank you all
Stephysimbow what weight is the 4 portions i think i prefer the sound of this one lol.
and Daftmoo im having my surgery on 23rd feb at the homerton i really dont want to give them any excuse to cancel hense trying to shift the weight i put on and a little more if poss xxx

Yeah it's not really difficult. I took a portion to mean like a chicken breast, or a small steak, or few rashers of bacon with fat cut off. And then the portions of cheese/dairy were like 100g/ml. When I can PM I will send u my copy of the diet I was given :) x

thank you that would be great xxx

started my pre op 2day for surgery on 2nd feb im liking the sound of that too lol i was gonna do the slim fast diet but not really looking forward to it but the one that ur talking about sounds much better

Hi Vonny

I had my pre-op checks at Homerton and was given a choice of 3 diets. Slimfast, milk or 1000 cal low carb diet. And you have to choose and stick to one, as I was thinking of having Slimfast all day and a very small healthy meal in the evening but thats a no-no!

I'm thinking of doing the Slimfast one as you don't have to get all the extra vitamin tablets (and I'm rubbish at remembering to take tablets).

Going to start it on 1st Feb for my surgery on 21st, but may ease myself into it by having one slimfast a day this week to get used to it.

Back