• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Pre-pre-op

natashoorrr

Hiya, I'm just curious, on the front of my pre-op sheet it says that the diet shouldnt be done for any longer than 14 days because its so restrictive. Do you think I would be okay to loosely follow the diet to loose a bit of weight before my pre-op? When i say loosely follow, I mean I will weigh stuff out and follow it exactly but won't be so concerned if I have a few drinks etc. The reason I want to do it is so that when it comes to pre-op it doesnt come as a big shock to the system!

I dont drink much anyway but I dont know when my op is or anything yet so thats why i am going to follow it loosely for a while (until I have an official start your diet date)

I am not giving this as advice to others only sharing my own personal experience. I was only given 9 days notice of my surgery. I did the diet to the letter with no cheating for 9 days and everything was fine. No complications and my liver shrunk down no problem.

the diet is too shrink the liver not loose weight so no tbh I wouldn't advise it , just find a low fat diet and follow that , they only let you follow it for 2 weeks because it not healthy for longer and you want to be in the best health possible for your op

Moomoo is correct. Normally the liver partially rests over and covers the stomach and intestines. In order for the surgeons to have easy access for a laparoscopic procedure the pre op diet is necessary to shrink the liver. I was told that if the liver was too large they might not be able to operate and would cancel my operation. To be completely honest the thought of having my op cancelled gave me the will power to stick to the diet and not cheat at all. It's amazing what you can achieve when you really want something bad enough.

The pre op is just a very low cal diet, known as VLC, that is particular low in carbs and sugar, thus forcing the body to use up emergency glucose stored in the liver.. (It is there for this reason) Following these stores being used up the body turns to burning its own body fat, starvation mode, ketones are released into the blood stream which feed the brain. Starvation mode is healthy, and natural its just something that isnt required in out society, however it does lower the metabolism. I guess the reason why only 2 weeks are advices is because the diet is void in a good mix of vitamins and nutrient.
Normally I would say it wouldn't do u any harm, however u do need to be as fit as pos for surgery so maybe you should avoid this, also it is likely you will remain in starvation mode following surgery due to fluids only.. Hope that helps x

Thanks guys, I think maybe I wasnt clear enough when I said I'll be following this loosely? I.e not sticking to measurements and exact meal plans but making sure I am having protein with lunch and dinner and having two portions of fruit and a yoghurt as snacks. I wasnt saying I will just start the pre-op diet and just stay like that? I understand your concerns though!

I wouldn't Natasha. The pre-op is hard work and requires dedication. You don't want to be bored of it by the time you start proper. If you want to kick start the weight loss I'd recommend tracking on my fitness pal.

Last edited:
I agree tealovingsleever. The pre op diet was tough. About only 800 calories per day. Natasha why make life more difficult than necessary. You will have enough to deal with doing the diet for real, having the surgery and then making the adjustment afterwards. Give yourself a break. My one piece of advice is to follow the rules. Some of them sound silly but there is a reason for each one. If you follow the rules you will be fine.

I'd started my own low fat, low carb diet about a month before considering surgery and going for a consultation. As a result, I was offered a cancellation slot for the following day !

I didnt actually take it, but opted to have my op a week later.

If you start low cal, low carb now (I wasnt weighing anything) - you should be just fine

Back