• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Private RNY patients paying for blood tests?

piglet8

Hi
Since my op I have moved and today was the first time i met with my new GP, seeing that im 13 weeks post op i thought i should ask about the post op blood tests. She informed me that any private operation post op care will not be catered for by the NHS and she thought it highly unlikely if my blood tests would be covered. After me getting up on my soap box informing her about all the costs i was SAVING the NHS by having this done privately and that pre op they where more than happy to pay for Orlistat and other weight management and had put my forward for behavioural therapy and depression medication, which wouldn’t have come cheap (not to mention future issues), she agreed to double check with the practice manager and for me to ring tomorrow. Surely a measly blood test 3monthly and then yearly after 1 year would be a cheap option!
Does this sound right? Do any other private patients pay for their bloods??

Last edited:
No I don't have to pay for mine and I would be very annoyed if I did. It's not a cosmetic surgery and or an elective one really, it's a life saving surgery that comes with a lot of post op care from your provider anyway, so annual blood tests by your GP isn't much to ask. Especially as anyone can walk into their GP's and ask for some blood tests if they are feeling tired etc. so I'm glad you said what you did to your GP and I hope she is wrong. If not might be worth finding a different practice as mine is fine with it. I also get all my vitamins etc. on prescription but I do have to pay for my prescriptions but that's fine. Good luck x

It's like IVF - once you are pregnant it's back under the NHS and WLS is the same - we don't charge for tests post op at all, nor does my GP. Your ongoing health is the concern of your GP - not the private surgeon who did the op...how stupid of them!
I can find you a few quotes re rights etc if you need - and can get my soap box out and have a right old moan if needed!
As you say it's about overall cost - ok so they are going to not do your blood tests, wait until you are anaemic - collapse and need to go in as an in-patient and have a transfusion - that will save the surgery a few pence too!!!

Grhhhhhhhhhhhhh - no wonder we get a bad name in the NHS sometimes - what happened to people just caring?!

Good Luck Piglet - keep me posted - the miserable cow!
xx

Thanks girls, im so glad to see that i didnt just imagine that it would go under the care of the GP. To be fair my GP seemed lacking in awareness in all things WLS as when i mentioned blood tests she stated that as far as she was aware none of that was needed!?! I came prepared though armed with print outs! what really bugs me as well is that this was the first time i met her and i had just disclosed that i had had quite big surgery fairly recently but not once in this whole discussion did she ask how i was feeling if i had any concerns etc etc. maybe is should just switch surgery anyways regardless of the outcome. My old GP was really good and very supportive, its such a shame im now far away from Dorset!
I must say that sometimes my mind boggles with some Dr's bedside manners as a nurse and midwife myself im well aware that a little bit of empathy and kindness can go far when establishing trusting relationships with your patients. This surely should be a priority for a GP as you should be able to trust them to be your first port of call if any concerns. OK rant over

Ps Dani do you know anywhere on the net where i can find some information about my rights with this? i have found loads online for NHS patients aftercare with the GP but nothing for private care

ha ha, as lovely as he is but NO...
I choose him as i knew i'd be moving closer so the after care would be easier

Never herd of this but it doesn't surprise me. Your private surgery provider should have included a degree of aftercare in the price they charged you, including blood tests for a period of time. They are not cheap but essential.

Hope they agree to carry them out for you but you should make sure you get all you paid for from the private provider.

None of the private providers cover the blood tests after the op as it should come under the GP. I spoke to my provider yesterday and they said that in all the years they have been in business they have only come across dodgy GP's twice! I think it would have been different had it been an operation for costmentic reasons. oh well i'll see what they say today

Never herd of this but it doesn't surprise me. Your private surgery provider should have included a degree of aftercare in the price they charged you, including blood tests for a period of time. They are not cheap but essential.

Hope they agree to carry them out for you but you should make sure you get all you paid for from the private provider.

Unfortunately the blood tests are not part of the after care private surgery covers. I found this out very early on when I visited my GP to find out what I "needed to know" rather than what they told me at the meetings being what they thought I "wanted to hear!!"

My GP and practice were well aware that they would be required to pick up the costs of all the pre and post op blood tests etc. Fortunately they have been brilliant and very supportive. Whenever I visit he always gets down any books with relevant info etc.

My advice to you, Piglet, would be find a more sympathetic GP - the fact that she showed no interest in your well being regarding recent surgery could well be indicative of future appointments not going any better!

Thanks Sarah
They still havent given me a decision yet said that they needed to discuss my case with their business partner. I have started to look for alternative GP surgeries, the problem is as im new to the area i dont know if any other surgery would be any better...

I suppose this always a potential problem when you move to a new area.

Just a thought, perhaps you could ask Mr Khan's team if they know of any General Practices in your area, they may have had some dealings with some and then they would already have a knowledge if only limited, on WLS

good luck, you seem to be losing well :)

Is this not about duty of care?? It does not matter what has happened before - if you present at a surgery with a potential to be deficiency in something that is measurable through a blood test then the GP has a duty of care to perform that blood test to ensure that you do not need treatment!

I am still waiting to speak to our GP partner who is also a solicitor - bet he will have a direct quote for use to all be able to use at the tight fisted GP's who try and say No!! xx

Your GP is wrong, if she comes back refusing contact your PCT. I had something similar with one of the GPs at my surgery so I went and saw another one who was a bit more "up" on WLS. She mentioned the duty of care and said that my bloods would be covered as would my vitamins (apart from multi vit which I am more than happy to buy myself). My private covers me for 28 days after the op should something go wrong and I was very concerned that I might need something after this time and she confirmed that I could be referred on the NHS if anything needed to be done/investigated. Good luck with your surgery.

Your GP is wrong, if she comes back refusing contact your PCT. I had something similar with one of the GPs at my surgery so I went and saw another one who was a bit more "up" on WLS. She mentioned the duty of care and said that my bloods would be covered as would my vitamins (apart from multi vit which I am more than happy to buy myself). My private covers me for 28 days after the op should something go wrong and I was very concerned that I might need something after this time and she confirmed that I could be referred on the NHS if anything needed to be done/investigated. Good luck with your surgery.

Emmack is right Piglet - our Senior GP partner also agrees - he says it makes no difference about how you got "there" it does not matter what has happened before - the GP practice has a duty of care to you and this includes blood tests to check you are not deficient in any areas regardless of where you had surgery.

Hope this helps x

Thank you Emma, Sarah and Oonion your advice and support is very much appreciated. My GP is still fobbing me off, skirting around the issue without giving me a definate answer. The latest was that she would ring me and let me know today, so I'll give it until lunch time tomorrow and if no news I'll register with another GP. I'm just a bit worried that the next will be no better. X

Gp surgery has now rung me back and after over a week of faffing about they will indeed be supporting me with all that i need! I explained my initial feelings about my allocated GP and asked the receptionist if she could recommend one of the other partners for me to swap too which she did.
So after all that all is now well again x

Oh so glad I found this post :) hi everyone, all I'm a newbie and goin in on 8th October for private bypass with spire hospital this is what iv been so worried about.. X

Back