• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

pro biotic news for bypassers!!

cherry

Bacteria Boosts Weight Loss in Gastric Bypass Patients

by Kerri Seidler on July 19, 2009 · Comments | Gastric Bypass Surgery
bacteria.jpg
New research shows that gastric bypass patients can enhance their outcomes from the procedure with the use of probiotic supplements. Probiotics are certain types of bacteria that are known as “good bacteria” or “friendly bacteria” that the body requires for health and well-being. One of the roles they perform in the body is to aid in digestion and absorption of food and nutrients.
After gastric bypass surgery, some patients have more-than-the-normal trouble with digestion. Food blockages can occur when food does not move through the body as it should. While anatomical reasons are found to be the cause of food blockages in some patients, this is not always the case.

It was the patients who had digestion problems that could not be attributed to the anatomy that prompted the study; to see whether or not the cause was due to a build-up of bacteria in the intestines and to see if probiotics would improve the symptoms.
The study followed 44 gastric bypass patients of John Morton, MD, associate professor of surgery at Stanford University School of Medicine. Patients were randomly divided into two groups; a probiotic group and a control group. Both groups were allowed to eat yogurt, a natural source of probiotics, but the probiotic group was also given a daily probiotic supplement.
The findings showed some amazing results. Patients in the study who were in the probiotic group registered greater excess weight loss and higher levels of vitamin B-12 than those in the control group who did not receive supplementation. Based on the results of the research, Dr. Morton says that he will now recommend probiotic supplements to his patients.
If you have had gastric bypass surgery, ask your doctor about probiotics and whether or not they would be beneficial to add to your diet. It is important to talk to your doctor about any possible side effects, safety issues, and interactions connected with probiotic products, before you try to self-medicate as each person’s mix of bacteria varies

Thats really interesting Kelly thank for posting this info. xxx

thanks kelly, thats very interesting, i think ill start on some pro biotics, i did have some at the beginning just after my op, but somehow just didnt keep it up. ill start them up again now. ta huni, hugs x

ooo your all welcome :) xxx

Hi Kell, interesting reading... it's amazing how these things really work xxxx

That is one bit of advice that I consistantly give people, it has always boosted my losses.
Steph xx

Last edited:
another fantastic useful post from Dr Kelly!!!!!
xxxx

thanks Kelly

sorry if to sound stupid but are we talking about taking those little pro biotics drinks and yoghurts with the good bacteria in or are they found somewhere else?

Hahaha Mona.... Kell, I have a great idea... can we nominate you to go on the couch on GMTV... Dr Hilary's got to be near retirement.

Then, when no one is looking you can roll up the carpet and sneak out with it... simple! xxx

hahahhahahahaha mona.... ooo bev id die for that rug,,,

yeh sweetpea just like actimal or yackult, just see which one has the elast amount of sugar :) x

thanks Kelly

sorry if to sound stupid but are we talking about taking those little pro biotics drinks and yoghurts with the good bacteria in or are they found somewhere else?

You can get pills but I always found that the plain actimels were a nice way of having it.
Steph xx

I'm off to supermarket tomorrow

Very interesting read, thanks Kelly. Its one thing I havent tried yet so may pick some up at the supermarket this week to see if they can give me a kick start.

glad it may help some peeps x

That's really interesting - I've been having an Actimel probiotic drink every day since my discharge from hospital.

I was just going to say, Steph has always swore by them. I have just brought some probiotic muller light yoghurts so will see what they are like, although not weighing in every week might mean i don't notice anything :) xx

Back