• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

pros and cons, sleeve v bypass v mini bypass

CONSIE70

Hi all 4 days out from bypass and believe me i researched for years doing this surgery,

was wondering how people felt about if you get very ill and required nutrition at a much greater level than you could get on a bypassed or sleeved stomach?

how many actually know the gastric bypass is in fact designed for such incidents,

sleeve is not reversible as stomach cut is removed,

just wondering if doctors or your own due process has given you this info,

i am just trying to get into my mind how many people were aware before surgery or would it be something that would put you off the sleeve?

good luck with your own choices though just curious

Hi all 4 days out from bypass and believe me i researched for years doing this surgery, was wondering how people felt about if you get very ill and required nutrition at a much greater level than you could get on a bypassed or sleeved stomach? how many actually know the gastric bypass is in fact designed for such incidents, sleeve is not reversible as stomach cut is removed, just wondering if doctors or your own due process has given you this info, i am just trying to get into my mind how many people were aware before surgery or would it be something that would put you off the sleeve? good luck with your own choices though just curious

I was never made aware of any of this, I sort of knew but wasn't told. My Surgeon told me that I would have the sleeve, I wasn't given the option due to him wanting the option of long term being able to do a duodenal switch.

This is basically for patients with a BMI of over 60, they don't believe these patients will be able to get to a healthy weight with 1 operation, therefore they sleeve them and then do the switch a year later.

I am now 8 months post op and I have gone from a bmi of 63 to a bmi of 37 with my target being 32. There is no place in me that wants or feels I need the switch. I would be happy if I stayed my size now as I can do everything I want to do, including run!

Anyway went a little off topic then but basically I wasn't given a choice (not in a bad way as I would have said yes to anything)

6 weeks post opp with sleeve. I was booked for a by-pass but my surgeon discovered a problem with my liver, so switched to a sleeve. He said that if needed a sleeve can be converted to a by-pass but not the other way round. it is my understanding that the unused stomach in both by pass and sleeve is removed, a b pass is non reversable as is a sleeve. I am doing really well with my sleeve and weight loss is good. I am happy with the sleeve and liver probs are being investigated.

I paid for my surgery and did loads of research... I chose the mini gastric bypass because it can be revised or reversed if need be and long term you can eat a more mixed normal diet.... Of course lack of nutrition can still be an issue but seems to be more manageable from the info I've read.... It's not as extreme as a RNY but long term weight loss is supposed to be similar, and at my age (53) I though it would be safer for me as its a shorter opp with less recovery time etc.

Meant to add... I do still have the other 2 thirds of my stomach alive inside me. Lol... Also the length of the bypass can be lengthened, shortened or returned to where it was if need be. :)

6 weeks post opp with sleeve. I was booked for a by-pass but my surgeon discovered a problem with my liver, so switched to a sleeve. He said that if needed a sleeve can be converted to a by-pass but not the other way round. it is my understanding that the unused stomach in both by pass and sleeve is removed, a b pass is non reversable as is a sleeve. I am doing really well with my sleeve and weight loss is good. I am happy with the sleeve and liver probs are being investigated.
They do not remove your stomach with a bypass but they do with a sleeve. I do not have the remainder of my stomach but my father (bypass patient) does.

Also a bypass is reversible but a sleeve is not.

Good luck with your journey

Back