• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Protein, Plateaus & Carbs REVISITED

phatgirl

I posted this thread back in April:

http://www.minimins.com/surgical-weight-loss/91101-protein-plateaus-carbs.html

It was in response to a bunch of people posting in the same week saying their weight loss had stalled. I have recently seen that occur again so I wanted to post again with a few updates.

If you are less than 3 months post-op and you have had more than one week of no weight loss, ask yourself these questions:

1. Do you really drink 2L of low-cal fluids per day?
2. Do you reach at least 500 cals per day?
3. Do you get in 60+ grams of protein per day?
4. Are you having regular and comfortable bowel movements?

If you answered no to any of the above questions you probably know what to about it! So get to it, 1. hydrate, you really can't drink too much, 2. eat more, try little and often if that helps, 3. eat smarter - 2 bites protein to one bite carb, 3. add fibre/take a supplement and get more fluids in.

Are you less than 3 months out but none of the above is an issue for you? Your body may just need some time to adjust. Check your inches, you may have lost there. Didn't measure yourslef pre-op, well start right now. Go get your tape measure, I'll wait...It is always good to check your inches lost as it will often show loss when the scale doesn't! Also, ANY weight loss is good, half a lb, 1lb, 2lbs whatever, don't compare to others because we are all like snowflakes, no two exactly alike. It has been known to happen that you can have a stall & then drop a bunch, then another stall - weird but not unheard of so give yourself a break.

If you are over 3 months post-op you will in all likelyhood have a stall, several in fact because your body will just say stop. It happens, don't panic. Also, make sure that you haven't slipped into bad habits such as drinking while eating, grazing or eating junk calories. If you feel like you need the discipline, do the 5 Day Pouch Test Surgical Weight Loss 5 Day Pouch Test to help you get control. You can and should avail yourself of your team's dietician, they can help you with your food choices.

Finally, at any stage (once you have been cleared by your surgeon) get up and move around. If you add 30mins of exercise as little as 3x per week, you can increase your resting metabolism which in turn will make you lose weight & have more energy!

That's my take on the subject, hope it helps.

Nic:)

Just wanted to say how good you look. I bet you didn't think that you could both fit into your clothes. Thanks for the thread, although I don't need it yet I'm preparing for the future.

love

Rebirth xx

:):):)Thanks, Nic - we love that you are watching over us! Sorry, I cannot rep you, I have to 'spread it around' first! Well, I never! :eek::eek::eek:

Lx

As usual nic yr bob on. On the exercise front for anyone that doesnt know you actually burn more calories the day after exercise so if you exercise alternate days the days you arnt working out you are still burning thoes cals. its why athaletes have rest days. so 30 mins 3 times a week evenly spaced really benifits you everyday!!!

Good point Carole about the exercise, thanks for sharing! Rebirth, Lizziebee & Gail-Michelle glad you could get something from it. I know people have read similar advice here and there so I put it all together. Any of you peeps out there with stall-busting experience, please post your tips here. Something that works for one person might not for another so all the tips are welcome.

Nic;)

Okey dokey this is some realy helpful advice off the lovely nicole, therefore I have started my 5 days pouchy test today!!! anyone want to join me?? I think that you have to be 3 months post op though is this correct nic? ;) from what it entails is this: Day 1 & 2 as many protein drinks as you like,cream soups ect,broth, and not forgetting at least 6 x glasses of water.....day 3 you have 15mins to eat as much canned fish, eggs, fish baked or grilled, or cottage cheese (its like a food race L.O.L), the drinking malarky goes the same rule and not to be drunketh 30mins before or after meal. day 4 ground meat...turkey, beef, or lamb.... Day 5 is a chicken (pmsl at this as is doesnt mean a whole chicken licken), beef steak, pork or lamb. sounds good to me appart from the shopping trip I just did lol Gail. P.s have fun to those who participate in this pouch thingamy.

Last edited:
I posted this thread back in April:

http://www.minimins.com/surgical-weight-loss/91101-protein-plateaus-carbs.html

It was in response to a bunch of people posting in the same week saying their weight loss had stalled. I have recently seen that occur again so I wanted to post again with a few updates.

If you are less than 3 months post-op and you have had more than one week of no weight loss, ask yourself these questions:

1. Do you really drink 2L of low-cal fluids per day?
2. Do you reach at least 500 cals per day?
3. Do you get in 60+ grams of protein per day?
4. Are you having regular and comfortable bowel movements?

If you answered no to any of the above questions you probably know what to about it! So get to it, 1. hydrate, you really can't drink too much, 2. eat more, try little and often if that helps, 3. eat smarter - 2 bites protein to one bite carb, 3. add fibre/take a supplement and get more fluids in.

Are you less than 3 months out but none of the above is an issue for you? Your body may just need some time to adjust. Check your inches, you may have lost there. Didn't measure yourslef pre-op, well start right now. Go get your tape measure, I'll wait...It is always good to check your inches lost as it will often show loss when the scale doesn't! Also, ANY weight loss is good, half a lb, 1lb, 2lbs whatever, don't compare to others because we are all like snowflakes, no two exactly alike. It has been known to happen that you can have a stall & then drop a bunch, then another stall - weird but not unheard of so give yourself a break.

If you are over 3 months post-op you will in all likelyhood have a stall, several in fact because your body will just say stop. It happens, don't panic. Also, make sure that you haven't slipped into bad habits such as drinking while eating, grazing or eating junk calories. If you feel like you need the discipline, do the 5 Day Pouch Test Surgical Weight Loss 5 Day Pouch Test to help you get control. You can and should avail yourself of your team's dietician, they can help you with your food choices.

Finally, at any stage (once you have been cleared by your surgeon) get up and move around. If you add 30mins of exercise as little as 3x per week, you can increase your resting metabolism which in turn will make you lose weight & have more energy!

That's my take on the subject, hope it helps.

Nic:)

i'm a bander but still very useful, thanks nic xx

Excellent thread nic - thanks ;)

fabulous post as always Nic xx

Thanks again Nic:D:D:D

Great Advice again thanks Nic

Back