• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Protein, Plateaus & Carbs

phatgirl

If you all have heard this before than read no further. I am stating what has worked for me and many others. If you are having trouble with your protein intake or a plateau chances are carbs are the culprit.

As most of you know I suscribe to the PROTEIN FIRST rule in my own weight loss. I have seen some of you posting problems with eating protein and I have to say I scratch my head. There are so many ways to have protein. Like did you know that a 1/2 cup of beans has the protein equivalent of 3 ounces of steak? Or that 4 ounces of tinned tuna has one of the highest protein gram counts?

Also, many of you admit to a serving of carbs with every meal. Nothing wrong with that until you realize that the carb you ate at lunch has reduced how much protein you can eat a dinner time. It is easy not to see this but give it a think, you have probably restricted your capacity for getting in protein by the carbs you eat everyday. I would never suggest cutting out carbs completely but why not limit them and test the theory yourself. Do you have more room for protein, are you back to dropping weight? It is always wise to try if you haven't done so.

These are suggestions for success and I hope it works for you.

Nic;)

At the mo I aint plateaed yet and I loose everyweek I try to have just 1 peice if wholemeal bread a day(stopped eating white) normally toasted, will pop an egg on it now lol so hopefully not to many carbs I eat very little as I get full really quick and I do chew chew chew.

Thanx for all your advice Nic its most welcome

I am gonna start writing down what proteins and cals I have in a day seeif I can up it

As for tuna since my op everytime I try it im sick Only fish i seem to be able to keep down in fresh salmon

How odd, I was about to post saying I have not lost weight for 2 weeks and that Im not sure why this early on? I had my op 18th March and then another op 2 weeks ago due to complications but since the last op I lost 4lbs and regained 2!
I know Im not eating right but what I can manage. My meds fill me up at breakfast and then today I ate a few spoonfulls of tuna/mayo and sweetcorn and Im about to have a faggot and small mash meal.
Im not fully on solids yet, should I be?
And I want to know more about protein shakes and what u all think of them, ooh I do feel confused today!
Sxxx

Hi Sassy! How are you feeling hun? It think it is probably good that you are taking it slow getting onto solid food since your second surgery. You are probably still swollen inside and need to be tender with yourself. As far as proteins go, you can have hummus, shrimp spread, tuna that you already mention, they are all high in protein. Also, bean soup made with beef or chicken stock can be good to add protein and go down well. Try when you have mash to add chicken stock instead of water and add cheese to increase the protein. You can also use swede or sweet potato instead of white potatoes for mash to get the best kind of carbs in your diet.

Oh, and I think protein drinks rock. They have been so valuable to me in my wls journey. You should try them!

Here are link to puree protein foods:
http://www.minimins.com/wls-recipes-forum/66935-food-puree-stage-soups-sauce-recipes.html

Here is a link to protein drinks:
http://www.minimins.com/surgical-weight-loss/67707-where-get-tasty-protein-supplements.html

And as always Sassy, pm me if you need more help hun, I'm here for you!

Nic:p

Back