• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Questions for Bypassers

Sharonimo

Sleeve to Bypass
Hi peeps. I have noticed that a lot of sleevers mention two particular problems post-surgery, both onthe thread that Ruthie posted (http://www.wlsurgery.com/gastric-sleeve-faqs/144667-best-worst-bits-about-having-had-sleeve.html) and elsewhere.

I am wanting to pick the brains of post-op Bypassers did you experience these things:

1. Pain when eating food for the first few months?

2. Not liking cold water and cold drinks any more?

It occurred to me that perhaps the level of pain that sleevers have when eating might be due to the fact that the sleeve is really narrow in the early days (about the width of a cheese string) ..... and has a row of hundreds of titanium staples down the back ..... perhaps it is slightly more difficult and more painful forcing food down a pencil thin tube, rather than the egg cup sized pouch (with a more round type shape) ???

I had pain occasionally with some foods when I first tried them, but it seems to have settled down now. I have found that I "can't" drink plain water - and I used to drink loads pre-op and loved it. For some reason I just don't like it and it feels uncomfortable unless I put some NAS squash with it - which makes no sense to me at all lol.

hiya i havent experienced either.. im 14 weeks post op.
I only experienced a tiny bit of pain for about 30 seconds when i didnt chew a bit of meat properley once.... but the rule is with foods chew 20 times, wait 20 seconds for the next mouthfull and if you are still eating after 20 minutes then stop... this is the 20 rule.
As for cold drinks i have squash with ice in... and i hate warm tea... so my tea is hot.

I had the bypass in november and i can say it was the best thing i have ever done... im over 6 stone lighter and have a new energy for life.
xxx

Hi peeps. I have noticed that a lot of sleevers mention two particular problems post-surgery, both onthe thread that Ruthie posted (http://www.wlsurgery.com/gastric-sleeve-faqs/144667-best-worst-bits-about-having-had-sleeve.html) and elsewhere.

I am wanting to pick the brains of post-op Bypassers did you experience these things:

It occurred to me that perhaps the level of pain that sleevers have when eating might be due to the fact that the sleeve is really narrow in the early days (about the width of a cheese string) ..... and has a row of hundreds of titanium staples down the back ..... perhaps it is slightly more difficult and more painful forcing food down a pencil thin tube, rather than the egg cup sized pouch (with a more round type shape) ???
I had Bypass and have never had any real pain eating. I can drink lots of water as easily as before.

I was scheduled for the sleeve but ended up bypass and did a lot of reading on both. Pure guess work but I imagine the fact that the pyloric valve is still involved in the sleeve, causing more discomfort as it has a closed end ( the valve) and would not allow any excess volume to be pushed into the intestine as would a bypass - the pouch in bypass has an open end which I think allows for a little more leeway in over capacity especially liquid or wet foods. Maybe over filling of the less tolerant tube could make a difference in pain. Seems to be common sense but I could be miles out ;)

I'm 3 months post bypass now. I too used to have discomfort drinking water for about a month but can drink water easily now.

I had bypass November, I have no pain eating food unless it isn't chewed properly, and I really struggle with all think drinks like water, nas squash etc, but fine with cold milk, orange juice, and fine with all warm drinks. Drinking too big a sop, or too quickly gives me massive pain in my chest that takes a few minutes to ease off.

I only have pain if I don't chew my food properly or forget I have to take my time in eating. I have only just started to eat solids now .I have gone of coffee slightly I mostly drink nas drinks.
The not eating fast and chewing food is something we have to learn to do when you have eaten food a certain way all our lives.
but despite all of this the bypass is the best thing I have ever done!

I am 5 weeks post op and I am fine on squash and water, I often chill it as it tastes better for me.

I dont really have any pain when eating, Apart from if something doesnt agree or if I have eaten too much!

Back