• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Really Hungry due to Meds - advice pls

Andrea73

Hi All, as the title says the side effect of my medication for depression causes increased and insatiable appetite as well as cravings for anything crap apparently. I have gained some pounds though no alot but need to get back on track but am finding it really hard.

Can anyone offer any advice on how to get back on track. Its really hard as I'm pacing about looking for something to eat whilst trying to tell myself that I'm not hungry!!

Look forward to hearing your views.

Thanks for reading x

Hi Andrea i can't help sorry because i've not long had my op so not enough experience with the struggling side of things yet :) i hope someone will be able to help you soon x good luck

Can you go out for a walk for 5 minutes? Just to distract yourself? Or read some positive threads on here, I find that always helps me, love looking at the photos. Hope you mind is distracted real soon ! xx

I never read the side affects of meds! Once the seeds been planted with me I can think anythings happening. However I know hunger is hunger and the best way to deal with it is like any other make good choices and increase the protein. Input/output - maybe increase your activity levels.

xx.

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

yeah i try not to read the leaflets now as they make me paranoid.... but what you could do is, make up some healthy snacks..ie carrot, cucumber with dips etc... and if ou feel pekish try them... but you will find with most antidepressents the hungry feeling will wear off after a couple of weeks taking them xx

Thanks for your replies. Its a horrible feeling not feeling full again and often hungry. I've went out and bought some cucumber and carrots so hopefully that will help. I just hope I don't get anymore weight gain :(

what about making some lovely home made soup just veggies and a stock cube :) no fat and hardly any cals but will fill you up xx you could add some pulses for protein

The 5 day pouch test is great for getting back on track. As for dealing with a raving appetite, go for lean protein where possible, spicy baked chickpeas, cooked meats, low fat cheese etc. otherwise try water loading (do a site search and it should show up).

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

thanks for all your advice. So far today I've had:

Breakfast - Pork Sausage - low fat
Lunch - carrots and hummus
snack - one ryvita and mackerel pate, half banana and clementine.

Does this seem a lot or should I be eating more??

Would really appreciate your advice

No way near enough! 3 meals plus 2-3 protein based snacks is the way forwards. You need to be consuming atleast 900 cals a day (more if you are active or exercise) and 80g protein per day. Have you tried using a food log like myfitnesspal to see how an average day adds up for you?

No way near enough! 3 meals plus 2-3 protein based snacks is the way forwards. You need to be consuming atleast 900 cals a day (more if you are active or exercise) and 80g protein per day. Have you tried using a food log like myfitnesspal to see how an average day adds up for you?

Thanks Shell

To be honest this was only up until my dinner. I've now had some roast pork, cabbage, wee yorkshire pudding and one new potato. This should make up my calories. I do normally use fitness pal. I really appreciate you passing on your knowledge, its always so spot on.

cant your doctor change your pills? mine have the side effect of suppressing the appetite, unfortunately it doesnt affect me lol

The 5 day pouch test is great for getting back on track. As for dealing with a raving appetite, go for lean protein where possible, spicy baked chickpeas, cooked meats, low fat cheese etc. otherwise try water loading (do a site search and it should show up).

Please can you share the Spicy Baked Chickpeas recipe sounds blooming lovely?

Back