• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Reasons why bands dont work?

BandyEmm

Just wondering what reasons are there for why a band seems to work for some but not for others ?

Junk food is NOT being consumed

ooo im interested toooo as im a pre bander :))

Bands might not work for everyone, then again bypasses can have similar problems for some too.

Some reasons may include:-

Life style changes not being fully made. Alongside eating the right things, exercise is so important.

Portion sizes still too large.

Cheating the band with slider foods and eating and drinking at same time.

There are also mechanics that can affect things, not enough fill is one major reason but this varies so much from person to person and can take a long time to get right. Port Flips, so fills cannot be made until it is corrected. Rare though are detached tubes from port to band, slippages and erosions.

But for some the journey takes longer and the patients expectations might not be reached, so old habits come back.

It takes dedication and iron will to make a band work and to reach goal for some can take up to 3-5 years.

Our bodies are all so different, so the journey will be too.

You have to keep you nose to the grind stone and your butt moving :)

1. FAULTY BAND. leaks slips ect

2. CHEATING THE BAND. wrong food choices as the patient doesnt like the restrictive feeling so reverts back to a sloppy diet or high sugared foods.

3. RESTRICTION NOT MET not enough fill in the band.

Last edited:
is that the only reasons Liz?

is that the only reasons Liz?

that i know of emma, also wrong op choice for a patients eating habbits/lifestyle, banding is a very slow process regarding weight loss x

oooo well with only three on the list! what can go wrong?? ha xx

NO2. is the biggest reason why bands dont work, its not the band thats usually failed its the owner usually cheating with it, but most wont admit to that and blame the equiptment they have been given rather than admiting they have been cheating and eating crap that will go down easier, a sad but very common fact :(

Its easier to blame a object than our selves, its human nature to do so though when we fail at what ever in life, bandings just the same i guess x

i agree with that liz, x

i agree with that liz, x

Thankyou Kelly, i believe its the no1 reason and thats because people think its the answer to all there prayers well its not a bander will only get out of this experience what effort they put in, reason mines failed is because its faulty leaked twice for reasons everyone knows about on here, the best advice i can give to fellow banders is be true to your self regarding what your eating, if you have a band thats working use it to its full potential, work with it not against it as its that extra help to lose the weight that others dont have, good luck to all the banders on this forum, work hard and the results are there for the taking x

liz can i ask what reasons they were?... sorry if im being to nosey xx

liz can i ask what reasons they were?... sorry if im being to nosey xx

yeah of course Kelly thats fine, my 1st band was fitted in 2005, i lost 7st 7llbs with it and this took 18 months to achieve my restriction was good then 3.5 years into the process my restriction went, i had a fill under xray to determine why this was so and the line/cathatar had disconnected from the band end, so they decided i needed a full band removal and replacement, in the time i had no restriction i regained 2 stone, any way sept 2008 i had a band removal and replacement during the same op, recovery was fine and i set apon re losing the 2 stone id regained i did this and lost a little more as well, restriction fantastic again and i was back on track and a happy bander once again, dec 1st 2009 i had upper tummy plastic surgery for the loose skin in the middle, all went well, i woke up they brought me tea and toast in bed i thought great half a slice and thats me done, the toast dropped straight through the band no restriction what so ever i just knew there and then the plastic surgeon must of damaged my 2nd band, when i felt better i got my band checked and the saline was leaking instantly so now im waiting this bands removal and to be converted to a bypass, by the time this happens i will of lived with a broken/ empty band for 1 year and this time ive regained 3st, thats short version Kelly, i HTH.... from Liz x

Last edited:
ooo crikey liz!!! all that hard work, to put a lil back on through no fault of your own so dis heartning, well hopefully you'll be getting your op soon hun you ve done so so well tho just in your pics! you look fab, how long have you left do you know for your bypass?... was it mr small who did those two ops?.... i so hope there careful putitng mine in! and for anyone else! is worrying enough going through op's let alone having to re do them ... xxx

ooo crikey liz!!! all that hard work, to put a lil back on through no fault of your own so dis heartning, well hopefully you'll be getting your op soon hun you ve done so so well tho just in your pics! you look fab, how long have you left do you know for your bypass?...
i was put on the 26 weeks waiting list on may5th that takes me to november 10th at the very latest for me to have my op.
was it mr small who did those two ops?....
Mr Small did my 1st band in 2005, Mr Balupuri did my removal and replacement in 2008, i dont mind which does my convertion to a bypass as there both excellent surgeons.
i so hope there careful putitng mine in! and for anyone else! is worrying enough going through op's let alone having to re do them ... xxx

its not the putting them in thats the problem with bands its just theres a risk factor of them failing for whaat ever reason further down the road, if plastics hadnt of damaged mine last december id be very happy to of continued to be a bander x

ooo yeh liz i forgot you then had a tt! so it wasnt the surgeon damaging it in sunderland, i agree with them both, there like god hey x

no i had plastic surgery at Durham x

NO2. is the biggest reason why bands dont work, its not the band thats usually failed its the owner usually cheating with it, but most wont admit to that and blame the equiptment they have been given rather than admiting they have been cheating and eating crap that will go down easier, a sad but very common fact :(

Its easier to blame a object than our selves, its human nature to do so though when we fail at what ever in life, bandings just the same i guess x

If i sat and ate rubbish id openly admit that i watsed nhs time, staff, money and resources, but i havent. maybe my problem is i havent found that right balance of food (ie) eating too little like i put up a post for some advice. Also if i wanted to continue eating rubbish i wouldnt have agreed to surgery.

Not sure if your reply was a pop at me, but i am trying so hard, I dont buy rubbish not even for me kids.

Guess if people want to think that im a failure then we have some thing in common, Cos thats what i am clearly cos my weight isnt dropping off each week.

obviously im doing some thing right at least for my clothes sizes to be dropping.

Thanks anyway :(

Do you think that you are failing? It's very early days yet to feel like that if you do. Getting restriction and food correct can be a long and frankly boring process but it is something that takes longer for some banders than others.We all want to lose weight quickly but for some of us it just won't happen - we are all different. Eating dense foods is something that I have trouble with - I like slider foods but have to restrict them or there is no way I will loose any weight. Sometimes we can be unaware that the foods we are eating are not good. I am sure that you will have spoken to your team and if you are following their advise it will come good in the end. This is not a race or competiion, sure and steady is by far the best way. Just my opinion.​

If i sat and ate rubbish id openly admit that i watsed nhs time, staff, money and resources, but i havent. maybe my problem is i havent found that right balance of food (ie) eating too little like i put up a post for some advice. Also if i wanted to continue eating rubbish i wouldnt have agreed to surgery.

its all a learning curve and takes time to ajust Emma once good restriction is met and your aware of what you can and cant tollerate things will start moving again.

Not sure if your reply was a pop at me, but i am trying so hard, I dont buy rubbish not even for me kids.

its not a pop at you or anyone emma, its just a general statement about banding overall, sorry if ive upset you thats not my intention, so if i have i appoligise.

Guess if people want to think that im a failure then we have some thing in common, Cos thats what i am clearly cos my weight isnt dropping off each week.

you are not a failure Emma your just trying to ajust to a new way of eating, i feel bad now that my comments in general regarding banding has upset you, again i appoligise.

obviously im doing some thing right at least for my clothes sizes to be dropping.

Thanks anyway :(

i hope we can still be friends Emma i know how hard banding is, weight loss is a very slow process with a band, you will get the weight moving again ok im pretty sure of that. Sorry :hug99:

hey em your doing fine hun!!!! i said it before on the other thread, your clothes size is dropping! so something is working, your next appointment is in sep isnt it?.... did your ing the nurse when you said? what did she say?......the only thing i can think of is maybe upping the excersise?..... x stop feeling so down hun your doing good x

Back