• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Recovery After the Op

*KIM*

Just wondered how quickly you are back on your feet, working etc after having a Gastric Bypass. my consultant said I would be in Hospital 3-4 days, but how long recovery does it take post op??? :confused:

Just wondered how quickly you are back on your feet, working etc after having a Gastric Bypass. my consultant said I would be in Hospital 3-4 days, but how long recovery does it take post op??? :confused:

Hiya big kim and welcome to minis. The answer to this is everyone is different some people are back at work within 2 or 3 weeks some people a lot longer my only advice is give yourself time to heal and take it easy listen to your body. hope this helps janey:D:D:D

As above, all people are different.

After my Sleeve Gastrectomy I was encouraged up on my feet the very next day and it was only 9 days after the OP that I stopped taking any pain meds. It's now 15 days after the op and I'm driving short distances etc but my doctor has just given me another 4 weeks off work!

There's 1 thing being comfortable, there's another working!!

Just take your time xx

I'm really worried about this as I have to be back to for for the 24th august, there is simply no way I can take extra time. So I'm due back three weeks to the day after my surgery. oh well we shall see how it goes.

Hi Kim..I had my op last Friday spent 4 days in hosp INC the op day and came home Monday have been out doing short walks each day and then rested up and my tummy feels tender etc BUT all in all I'm good but still need to remind myself I have had a serious op..I'm not attempting any silly "sit-ups" or "press-ups" BUT your own head does play a major part in your recovery....
Mark

Hiya Kim - it depends on the individual. I am having my op on the 21st July and will be back at work Mon 3rd Aug...I have giant dogs so while I will walk, I won't have hold the leads in case they lunge. I have had several ops in the past and usually bounce back really quickly - when I had my gall bladder out I went back to work after 3 days.

I had my bypass last Friday, and today has been my first proper pain free day.I actually went to Tescos, for some retail therapy.:D:DNot sure about work though:D

Hi Kim,

My op was just under 3 weeks ago (26th June). I am in total agreement with janey. Everyone is different. I stopped any pain relief after about 4 days at home (1 week post op).

I feel absolutely fine and am not having any problems following the directions given by the surgery team at Walsall Manor to remain on liquids until 4 weeks post op.

I am perfectly mobile and feel as though I can do everything apart from lifting (which would be madness after less than 3 weeks). So in my case I can honestly say I'm fit to work now. The only restriction would be the driving restriction for 6 weeks post op my surgeon advised me to uphold.

Wow you have a really long driving reatriction, we have been advised no driving for two weeks then that's it!

Seriously? I have been told 7 days no driving...I was going to drive myself home from the hospital!!! (Not now - hubby has been guilt tripped into doing it!)

I asked my surgeon about the driving bit (mr Ammori) and he said its when you feel comfortable doing an emergency stop realy. I also had my operation last friday I had no pain and realy dont feel like anything has been done L.O.L but like we say everyone is so so different I would go back to work tomoz but as we have our own business I thought me hubby can do a bit (bloody hell I hope he doesnt read this Ha! Ha! G,M
Seriously? I have been told 7 days no driving...I was going to drive myself home from the hospital!!! (Not now - hubby has been guilt tripped into doing it!)

See now my experience has been the exact opposite to Gails. My intitial stay in hospital was just over a week, then allsorts of complications set in and still not right now nine weeks down the line.

Having said that I saw literally dozens of people come into hospital, have their op and home relatively pain free within three days.

Our hospital gives a two week sick note and tell you to visit your doctor should you need any longer.

I was in hospital for 48 hours, off pain relief in 4 days and ready to go back to work 3 weeks post op. The driving thing is an insurance prerequisite really, if you drive before you are ready and you have an accident, then your insurance co could refuse to pay out - thats why they say a fortnight. My head wasnt really up to driving before then anyway.

Hi, I think it also depends on whether you have the surgery keyhole or open. I know someone who was off 8 weeks after having it open but I've been told that I probably only need 2 weeks of for a keyhole bypass. Hope this helps. x

Thank you everyone. It is good to get the different experiences of the recovery process!

Hi Kim...I had my by-pass last Friday and came home on Monday this week and have to say felt pretty good apart from a tender tum I walked to the shops 30mins there and back...then walked the dog 40mins....slept for England,Ireland,Wales and Scotland and generally feeling better each day...THAT SAID we are all different..

M

Hi Kim...I had my by-pass last Friday and came home on Monday this week and have to say felt pretty good apart from a tender tum I walked to the shops 30mins there and back...then walked the dog 40mins....slept for England,Ireland,Wales and Scotland and generally feeling better each day...THAT SAID we are all different..

M
Thanks Mark, that sounds encouraging. :)

Back