• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric bypass recovery post op?

gertiesquidge

Hi everyone,
I'm trying to research if a gastric bypass would be a good option for me. The thing that is worrying me the most is th recovery period, we have two young children (10 and 4 years) and one has special needs. I'm a housewife and my husband works long hours running his own business, he'll be as supportive as he can but if the business needs him he'll have to go. So I will have to look after the children on my own, and get them to and from school etc. How soon after the operation am I likely to be up and about and able to be walk up to school and back and do all the other stuff the children need???
I know every patient is different and each surgeon has their own guidelines, but if anyone can give me some idea that would be great :) x

I was told not to drive for 6 weeks, but I wan't in any great pain or anything, just felt washed out an feeble really. I didn't lift anything as I was told to take it easy and I didn't want to damage myself. By the time I had finished giving myself the injections around 20 days after the op, I was feeling near my normal self, You just have to be careful and not over do it. Gentle walking is good when you are recovering but take it easy and you'll get back to full strength quicker.

Hi everyone,
I'm trying to research if a gastric bypass would be a good option for me. The thing that is worrying me the most is th recovery period, we have two young children (10 and 4 years) and one has special needs. I'm a housewife and my husband works long hours running his own business, he'll be as supportive as he can but if the business needs him he'll have to go. So I will have to look after the children on my own, and get them to and from school etc. How soon after the operation am I likely to be up and about and able to be walk up to school and back and do all the other stuff the children need???
I know every patient is different and each surgeon has their own guidelines, but if anyone can give me some idea that would be great :) x
Hi gertiesquidge
I had my bypass on 24/6/13 & was up & about by 2pm the same day, no pain what so ever but felt uncomfortable from the trapped wind !
was sent home on tueday afternoon, after seeing me eat soup & jelly.
I was up & walking round the wards so as to move the trapped wind & relieve it from my body :).
I have 4 children & they know of my surgery & are very cautious around me & my stomach (5 sets of staples ), if you do what you feel comfortable with & not pushing yourself too far, you'll be fine
goodluck on your journey
:):):):)

I would have to agree with Mr Doo, I worried about the recovery, but I shouldn't have. I was let out of hospital on the Thursday (Op on the Tuesday) and by the Monday I felt great. I would just take it easy. If you're taking the kids to school, give yourself more time to get there. You might feel tired, that's obvious. Just remember to eat plenty of protein and you'll be flying x

Interesting seeing your replies - I've been told from someone who had a bypass years ago they reckoned with the bypass I would be off work for 5 to 6 weeks where as consultant reckons 2 speshly with job I do. I'm planning on having 2 weeks off and seeing how go. If need further time I will take it off. I suppose everyone is different!

Great to hear that you all seem to be up and about so quickly :)

Interesting seeing your replies - I've been told from someone who had a bypass years ago they reckoned with the bypass I would be off work for 5 to 6 weeks where as consultant reckons 2 speshly with job I do. I'm planning on having 2 weeks off and seeing how go. If need further time I will take it off. I suppose everyone is different!

Great to hear that you all seem to be up and about so quickly :)
Hi NICNAC
You can return to work as soon as you feel capable of doing so,
The 6 weeks you say i think maybe for driving or as soon as you can safely perform an emergency stop
could be wrong but thats what a grasped from the quick goodbye from hospital i had :)

I've had a sleeve converted to a bypass. I'm a chef and I sometimes have to lift heavy pots etc. my surgeon told me if I had a desk job, I would be off 2-3 weeks at the most but I have to have 6 weeks off as I am on my feet all day. I was driving after 10 days but that was only because my insurance company said it was ok to do so. My team were happy with that. You just need to take it one day at a time.

Wow thanks everyone :) That sounds much better than I was thinking it would be :) Our youngest starts full time school in Sept, so I'd have the whole day to myself to rest and potter around the house.
School is half a mile away so if I give myself extra time I should be able to manage that that pretty soon after the op shouldn't I?
I'm not sure I'd be able to manage 6 weeks without my car eek!!! We live in a little rural village with cr*p public transport, so fingers crossed for a smooth recovery!
Thanks again everyone x

You'll be fine, all the hospitals have different guidelines and ideas, so just move at your own speed, you'll be ok!!

I was in on the Friday, out on the Saturday.

I was advised not to drive for 2 weeks but had an 'emergency' 10 days post-op and did drive then but I was very comfortable and would have had no problem executing an emergency stop. I hold my hands up though to not doing what (having worked for a car insurance company before) I advise others which is to check with your insurance as different companies have different timescales on how long they 'allow' before people can return to driving after major surgery. For many it's the same as the DVLA guidelines, as long as you can perform an emergency stop.

I didn't have the problem of younger children though, my son is a strapping 6' 14 year old so was a great help.

xx

Hi there, I had my op last Monday and came home on Wednesday. To be honest I've had more pain than I anticipated but its manageable with pain killers and lots of rest. Each day I'm feeling better and stronger. Because a lot of my weight is round my middle I'm getting a lot of pulling on my stomach and its still quite swollen. Don't let this put you off its still worth it and still less than a week post-op. The only thing I would add is that you don't always realise how much you use your abdomen for everyday tasks. If you do have to lift your children this may take a lot longer than a week.

Thanks Lincs Lass and Fayz :)
Fingers crossed I won't need to drive before I'm supposed to, but it's reassuring to know that it night be possible if I really need to.
And Fayz I carry my weight around my tummy too (I'm a total Apple shape) so thank you for letting me know how it might be post op. I've got a broken ankle at the moment so the youngest has got used to me not being able to pick her up, hopefully she'll be just as understanding after my op! x

I walked 5 miles only 3 weeks after my bypass. iwas told i coulddrive from 2 weeks after my op if i felt icould safely do an emergency stop. i dont know howold you are or if you have any other medical problems i am 58 and found i got tired easily in the first couple of weeks so try to get as much rest as you can and as you will be eating small amounts eat quality foods and still try to drink milk i made milkshakes as i dont like milk on its and have gone off coffee since my op seven weeks on and i feel much livilier with 30lbs lost. good luck

Hi lyturt,
I'm in my 40s and one of the reasons I decided to go for this op is the constant tiredness I feel, hopefully that will improve after the recovery period from the op. I'm really impressed that you managed a five mile walk so soon after your surgery, there's no way i could manage that at the moment, I struggle and get out of breath on the half mile up to school.
Do you get advice from the hospital about what foods to eat after surgery?
Congratulations on your weight loss so far, that's quite an achievement :) x

my hospital states 3 weeks of clear liquid soup, then 3 weeks of baby food/puree & then gradually introduce normal food starting from soft upwards !
regarding exercise i'm only 1 week post op & had to go to school to pay for my youngest sons school holiday, its just over 1.5mile there & same back.
felt a bit breathless when i got home, but 3 miles is the most walking ive done in 1 go for a good few years .... car gets me everywhere .
best thing ive done & would urge anyone with our weigh problem & all the things that come along with it, to go ahead & do it
Enjoy your journey & goodluck in your decision
Mark

You are given a booklet with a diet to follow for the first few weeks once you are able to eat solid food about 4- 6 weeks the only rules to follow are low fat low sugar. some people find they go off certain foods so you may find your tastes change but its a very individual thing.i have gone off baked beans and coffee so ihave avery varied diet i have yet to try salad or stirfry but am thinking of trying them this week i hope all goes well for you good luck

Thanks Mr Doo and lyturt,
It's reassuring to hear you are advised what to eat post surgery and not just left to your own devices :) x

Back