• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Recovery

cah-ching

Hi Gang,

Just wondering how long it took you all to recover from your respective surgeries?

I had my surgery on 10th April, I'm still in much discomfort, especially at night. I can't sleep in certain positions and have to sleep with many pillows for comfort.

I tried to drive yesterday ..... I can drive very short distances, but no where meaningful without holding up traffic (25mph is as good as it gets with me at the mo). So driving is on the back burner for a few days.

Still suffering in my abdominal region especially on the left where my bigger wounds are. I still can't walk properly. I was thinking of walking around the block but that's too far to go unaided. I can walk reasonable distances in the supermarket with my sister etc. but this is aided by me using a shopping trolley. So the lovely weather is lost on me :(

Any tips on speeding recovery? I can start eating more solid foods as of tommorrow, so will eat eggs in order to up my protein ... currently I'm on pureed fish and beans.

I have trouble sitting at the computer screen for an extended length of time :( so don't get to look around for help/answers as much as I'd like so apologies if this has already been asked.

Thanks

Hi CC, sorry youre still in a lot of discomfort. Don't forget you had a few more complications than others may have had so you need to take this into account.

Really hope you feel better soon and start to enjoy the sunshine. x

Keep your chin up your get there in the end, take things slowly and look after yourself x

Sorry to hear you're still struggling CC. Everyone's recovery seems to be very different so don't put too much weight on any responses you get. Having said that, I started short walks the day of the op - just round the ward. I think the sooner you get moving the better, but if you are in pain as you were you must take it easy and let the body repair itself. The more protein you get in the better to help there. I was told not to drive for 2 weeks, that is what I did and was fine when I did that.

I guess that although I had my op when I was 60, I really tried to get as fit as possible before it, I certainly reaped the rewards of doing that.

Hang in there girl, it sounds like you are doubting your actions. It will get better, slowly slowly catch ye monkey!

xx

Hi thanks.

I try and go for walks around the house and go up and down the stairs a few times in a day .. well about 3-4 times.

I've just had my shower and feel great. One of my wounds is gunky ... I've been treating it, but will expose it to the air today rather than cover it op. My wounds (apart from the gunky) have been looking good since I was told to take the dressings off, that was Monday/Tuesday following the op (which was on the Sat afternoon), so I'm pleased with that progress, and resisting the urge to itch.

I'll walk to the park in a bit, it's not as far as round the block. Under normal circumstances I'd walk to the park in 3-4 minutes. My illness and post-op complications knocked one week off my (physical) recovery time so I guess in terms of walking I'm one week behind where I should be, although I did walk a bit the day after the surgery before I deteriorated.

It's mentally frustrating because I'm the antithesis of this. The only thing that kept me going was the 'Buyers Remorse' thread I read before I went to have the surgery.
May be I ought to revisit the thread?

Thanks for your replies .....

st-georges-day.jpg

Hi CC

Hope you start to feel better soon, you have had a rough time of it so its bound to have set your recovery back a bit. Just take it easy, walk little and often to build your strenghth up and keep your fluids up. Take care x

You will find with each new day, your strength will build....the pottering about eases the wind pains too.

Don't compare to others, we are all unique and our bodies repair differently, and remember, you had major surgery.

I was told full recovery can take six weeks - so don't run before you can walk ;)

YOU will feel so different this time bext week and the same the following week.:)

I am still pre op but would like to say I hope you get better soon and do agree protein is a great healer.

CC hun as one of ur wounds is gunky pls go and see ur doc or nurse as u will most prob need it re dressed and poss antibiotocs, this was the case with my wounds and they took nearly 4 weeks to heal and were redressed 4 times since at the nurse.
Hun take it easy and dont follow in my footsteps and try and run b4 u can walk (i am very well know for that lol) just chillax and take it easy and let ur body tell u when u r ready to do more.
Am on the other end of the phone at any time if u want to chat xxx

It took me six weeks before I could drive and even then I used a little cushion under the seat belt (still use actually as I still have some pain around my navel area). Everyone is different so don't stress too much that you're not running around doing things - you will do better if you rest and recover first xx

My recovery was slow too, I wouldn't worry about rushing to get back to normal, but I do hope you feel better in yourself very soon. I only just stopped sleeping propped up on pillows a month ago..do what you need to do to feel comfy and listen to the folks above, they have great advice and know what sort of thing you're going through. Love and best wishes x

Take it easy it's so very soon after your opp to try and do this much. Everyone recovers at diff time's I'm a very quick healer, had appendix out last Friday and was really fine on Monday. But you want to make sure you heal properly this opp has to last for the rest of your life. So take care and happy healing.

Jeanx

thanks for your replies.

I am not sleeping through the night. I haven't had a full nights sleep since before my operation. I have to wake up, get out of bed to change positions ... and my positions are limited due to pain.

Last night was particularly painful. I dunno why.

I'm not going out unless I have to. I have the urge to doze during the day but never do since I can't get comfy.

My sick note runs out this week and I'm worrying and worrying about having to drive to work next week .... as I don't think I can ... my commute is 100+ miles per day.

I can't sit in any position for long without feeling discomfort. I can't laugh and I can't bend down to pick stuff up.

I only tend to walk around the house ... going out I have tried doing but can't just yet.

I'm on mushy (not pureed) food stage now ... so minced meet with lots of gravy and very soft boiled veg; which is ok I'm enjoying it. I get full on much less than I used to and I feel it on the inside ... like a pulling sensation. Not painful, but not painfree either. Trying to up protein to aid healing. Most of my discomfort isn't actually when my wound site is - go figure?! I must be more torn internally than I thought. Also the area where I was stabbing myself with Clexane is very sore.
Taking deep breaths is a no-no too ... it hurts .. as does burping.

Sorry for the whinge. I've so much on my mind and I'm just worried worried worried.

I hate night time as it means going to bed, like I will do in a moment. Going to bed, sleep isn't pleasurable or restful for me at the moment.

Anyway sorry if I appear to be navel-gazing I just needed to offload. :cry:

I had a gastric bypass on 16th and although I am doing realy well, I can sympathise with you regarding the lack of sleep.
I slept in two different beds and on two different sofas last night as i couldnt get comfortable.
I have discomfort which feels like a 'stitch' on my left side near my rib.
I am guessing it is due to the swelling underneath as I remember the rib clicking out when i was pregnant with my twins and I had to go off sick from work at abotu 5 months and didnt feel comfy until they were born.
I am also catnapping during the day too.
My only suggestion is dont fight it! go with the flow and perhaps you need to get your GP to give you another couple of weeks off work x
I plan to sleep on the sofa tonite and see how much sleep i get in that position.
I have no intentions on attempting to drive til my two weeks is up and then if i dont fel comfy I am not doing it x
IT IS NOT WORTH THE RISK X
Keep your chin up
Shells
x

CC hun I really feel for you as I went through something similar although not to the extent you seem to have. I couldn't sleep in a bed for 2 - 3 weeks after my op and slept propped up on pillows on my mum's sofa. I too couldn't bend or cough or laugh or anything like that either. I felt like I'd been kicked in the ribs by a horse. I still get some discomfort around my wound sites occasionally as well as randomly internally. You're progressing well food wise which I wasn't able to do.

I do understand how depressing it is to feel like you're not progressing as well as other people seem to and don't have the 'happy and enjoying my bypass' attitude that most post oppers seem to have. It's only now that I'm in my 3rd month post op that I'm actually starting to appreciate the operation. Before hand I regretted my op every day and wished I'd never had it done. It does get better hun, just agonisingly slowly. You have had major surgery and complications because of that surgery, your insides will need more time to heal than most bypassers.

When you sick note runs out, go back to your GP and get another one as you're obviously not ready to go back to work. I took 4 weeks off and although I went back to work I was still in discomfort and if I could have afforded it I would have had longer off but I'd run out of sick pay. Just give yourself time to heal hun xx

Hello CC

Lovely to see a post from you, but sorry that you are still suffering with pain. Are you taking pain killers? I think I mentioned to you when I saw you in hospital that I couldnt manage the soluble paracetamol they gave me, so took sugar free calpol, and I took it religiously, 4 times a day for about 10 days. I wouldnt say it made me pain free, but certainly took the edge off. Dont try to manage without pain relief if you need it.

And I agree with Jaxx. Go and get your sicknote extended, and while you are there, see if your GP is happy with your wound, and whether they think you need something a little stronger for pain. They can prescribe in liquid form if you are still worried about swallowing a tablet.

Hope you are back on fighting form soon.

:hug99:

Back