• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

REFUSED!> WTF>?

novamay

Born Free
Sunderland have finally contacted me by email.

After two and a half years faffing around I have been refused the sleeve surgery.:mad:

MDT have said no to sleeve. Pscyhologist won't agree a full bypass.

Not sure if I'm shocked, surprised, upsett or just plain sodding angry - what I do know is that I'm definitely well and truly stuffed!

Don't give up the fight! Some of us have to fight harder than others to get our surgery.
I had to go through 4 doctors before I found one who would help me and refer me for surgery. It sounds like you have your doctor on your side just not the hospital?
I'd ask for the reasons why they have refused you and then you will know what route to take to appeal against their decision. Maybe your doctor could write a letter on your behalf asking them to reconsider? I really feel sad for you *Hugs*

The MDT actually agreed a bypass in May 2011 but the Pscyhologist won't agree to bypass - he wants me to have a sleeve instead - so they are at an impasse with me stuck in the middle.

Awww Nova im so sorry hun, but as grace says dont give up keep fighting hun xx

I'm appalled for you. You've jumped through a thousand hoops for them, with your balloon and years or waiting and then they do this. When the psychologist refused did they offer you cbt or some other kind of therapy that could help you get to a place where you would be allowed a bypass? Don't give up hun, prove to them you this is the right decision for you by fighting for it, appeal if you can and and get support from your GP if you can. Say you will see the psychologist again and if he still thinks your not suitable, ask him to work with you until you are in a place that you are. Best of luck x

yeah, I had counselling - if you could call it that the sessions only lasted at most 15 minutes; once a month since May 2011. Psychologist said no to bypass after the 1st session, worked on me til September 2011, then agreed a balloon to see how I'd go with restriction - so I had the balloon and was fine with restriction so he was happy to say ok to sleeve in August 2012.

I've a feeling I'm being used as a pawn to see who has most control - surgeon or pscyhologist. The psychologist had said on at least occasions that he doesnt agree with bypass as a procedure for anyone. So is he just using me to make a point??? Sure feels like it.

My GP has been supportive but he's more concerned that I havent had a smear test for 10 years to be honest..

I'm apparently going to have another Out Patient Appointment - god knows when that will be - to discuss the outcome, but I don't see the point.

Go to the appt and make it clear that you want some answers. I would even be tempted to write to the surgeon to say that you have complied with their requests so you would like a definitive answer as to why they have now refused to fund your sleeve?

xxx

It's funny because when I went for my assessment day I had to see about 3 or 4 health care professionals and the Psychologist was the only one who tried to put a block on me having my surgery! I can't believe that the Psychologist has the option of deciding whether or not you have a bypass or sleeve! Thank Jesus it wasn't me who had to deal with them or they'd have one smashed up office and I'd probably be facing jail! I really hope that you can get all of this sorted out.

I do understand the point of having a psychologist assess you but this one does sound like he just doesn't agree with the surgery in the first place, as he admitted - not professional at all. He should be completely impartial and a 15 min sessions do not count as therapy to over come any issues he felt you were facing. I wonder if there is a way you can see a different one. When you go to your appointment make sure you are well armed with questions you deserve the answers too xx

I agree with counselling being offered before we have surgery too - that's the thing, I volunteered for this.. I actually asked if I could speak to someone about my eating habits - to get my 'head' in the right frame. Now I just have another kick in the teeth and confirmation that I can't get anything right.

so sorry to hear this:( is it maybe time to get in ouch with pals?

I was in a similar position and felt like my world had crumbled.
PLEASE don't give up.
Make sure there are no mistakes, which was my case.
Apparently the criteria was changed in April but there must be a loophole somewhere.
DON'T GIVE UP!!!

Thanks for all your posts - I'm not giving up. I had a teary night yesterday feeling like cr@p and a big fat failure - so much for getting my head in the right place! Middle of the night I had an epiphany and then pulled myself together - now I'm just p'd off and very very angry.

My BMI was over 50 and I have diabetes so even if BMI changes at the top end, I should technically only require BMI of 35+ to qualify for surgery. I have been advised that funding isn't a problem - I have specifically asked this at my review with the bariatric nurse as I was worried there was a time limit on it, and she said that funding for the surgery will be in place however long it takes. Its definitely a problem of the surgeon and psychologist not agreeing to they type of surgery, because I have jumped through every hurdle and hoop they have given me. I don't know what else I can do - but I do know that I'm not giving up.

Good for you Nova. Go in with all the facts and figures and a clear and calm head and get what you need and want. If you still have no luck I would go higher and higher as it feels a bit like a clash of personalities between the surgeon and psychologist to me.

Lots of love and fingers crossed for you.

Kate x

There seems to be a lot of conflict at Sunderland with psychology and surgeons. A friend of mine is going through something similar. Think it's very petty and the only people suffering are the patients!! I hope u get everything sorted like others have said fight it!! I would get in contact with pals xx

So sorry to hear this don't give up hope and keep fighting your case x

Would you believe there is one positive thing from this that I've noticed.... I've been really upset and frustrated as you can imagine, but I havent turned to food - infact it's the opposite. I've managed to calm myself down without it. Posting on here has helped too.

Back