• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

REFUSED!> WTF>?

thanks Rach

Sunderland have finally contacted me by email.

After two and a half years faffing around I have been refused the sleeve surgery.:mad:

MDT have said no to sleeve. Pscyhologist won't agree a full bypass.

Not sure if I'm shocked, surprised, upsett or just plain sodding angry - what I do know is that I'm definitely well and truly stuffed!

hi
i did a year at local hospital to help me get funding
sleep clinic, lost 2 st
saw mr super who would put me forward for op
after 6 wks was told i had been refused

kay xx

went private in the end

Hang on in there - all the PCT's will be gone in April - which may well give you a new chance ! May well be same old **** just on a new day - but it's worth the hope!
x

Hi Novamay, how upsetting for you, I know you must feel gutted and extremely angry. These people have no idea how they affect our lives. I hope if you decide to appeal their decission you get the operation you long for, good luck hun xx

Still nothing from Sunderland. Have phoned today to ask for the notes of the MDT meeting but have been advised that a letter will be coming out "explaining everything". Apparently it was typed two weeks ago, its just waiting to be signed.... No sign of an OPA either.

Sunderland have finally contacted me by email.

After two and a half years faffing around I have been refused the sleeve surgery.:mad:

MDT have said no to sleeve. Pscyhologist won't agree a full bypass.

Not sure if I'm shocked, surprised, upsett or just plain sodding angry - what I do know is that I'm definitely well and truly stuffed!

hi
i was going to local hospital for over year
lost weight as asked, done the clinic
and was still refused funding,
the letter went flying round the room i was so angry having going through all that for nothing

kay xx

why does the shrink have power to pick which type of surgery u have? thats just ridiculous to me, isnt she there to see if ur mentally stable , an operations an operation, either ones guna see u chopped opn.. silly cow or bull dependin on ther sex lol.. just get ur doc to refer u to another hospital?

Oh Kay, I just wish I had a letter that I could throw around the room!!! I get nothing - nada - zilch. I'm sick of being a patient patient now, so have emailed PALS to see if they can help.

If PALS can't/won't do anything, then I'm going to see my GP to refer me to North Tees/Middlesbrough - they are closer to home anyhoo - and they are whipping people through from the sounds of it. Even if I have to start again from scratch its gotta be better than where I'm at now.

ye Middlesbrough will be alot better for u, there probably less fussy there lol.
is that the only problem the shrink has? maybe its coz u turn to food when ur upset, is that an eatin disoder,, coz so i keep getting reminded,, the surgery is just a tool.. and if she wants u to have a sleeve, y dont u just do that hun? better than nowt isnt it?

Karida I'd be happy with sleeve OR bypass - I'm not fussy! Hell, I'd even have another balloon, anything other than being stuck in this limbo.

I've always known that I am an emotional eater - its just taken me a long time to address it. I also now understand that I binge eat which is different to the emotional eating because when bingeing I would eat things that I didn't enjoy but felt that I couldnt rest until I had eaten it - if anything, I feel I am cut off from my emotions when in this mode. Emotional eating - usually eating things that I did/do like, that made me feel better after eating and usually attached to a highly emotional day/event - possibly more learned behaviour or habit than an eating disorder?

I understand that the psychologist is happy with a sleeve, as I will have some restriction, but not the malabsorbtion problems, plus he's worried that with a bypass if I do attempt to binge I will do some damage and he doesnt want that. But I had restriction with the balloon and, even when the restriction faded after month 4, I still wasn't bingeing or emotionally eating.

I understand the surgeon's p.o.v too - although I am waiting to hear the reasons why they have said no to the sleeve - its possibly because they would rather I am unable at all to eat the types of food that are high in calories/fat (which I could possibly do with a sleeve I think as dumping isnt such a problem for most sleevers as it is for bypassers). They could feel that restriction on its own isn't enough to give me a good enough weight loss to warrant the surgery; with bypass I would have the added advantage of dumping and malabsorbtion which would kinda put me off eating 'naughties'.

I don't know how surgery will affect me or how I will adjust mentally - but does anyone post-op? And I can't say with my hand on my heart that I will never binge or emotionally eat ever again - I can only do my best and keep working on it coz I doubt even with surgery (you're right it is only a tool after all) that it will ever go away completely.

I would advise you to contact youre Gp again and get refferred to Darlington. You do not need to see a Pscyhologist there. Mr Samear is the surgeon there and he did my bypass. Good luck!

maybe they are just doing what they think right for u, i guess its better to be safe than sorry though, so do some more counselling till you fell happy within your self. i guess in a way there right and its still is a worry about the emotional stuff.. but it is still crap for u. u shud just stick to fingers up at the world and tell them to jog on. lol x

"I don't belieeeeeeve it!" the blasted letter was on the mat last night when I got home.... after being told by the PA on Wednesday that it hadn't yet been signed and sent! Flamin typical - I'd just sent an email to PALS. Still no OPA though... so hopefully PALS can do something with that.

Reason for refusal of sleeve seems to be one incident of gastric reflux (acid) which was at the end of last year and my GP gave me PPIs. I haven't had PPIs since having the balloon out and haven't had any return of the acid problem. Also type 2 diabetes, which is a bit up and down during the year, moving from 6.8-7.2 depending on whether or not I fast before the blood test.

Guess I need to do some thinking about Sleeve and Bypass implications - both have advantages and disadvantages - as it looks like I might have my say at the OPA - but not sure how much it will count towards any final decision.

whats gastric reflux got to do with owt. iv had that for years...?

Reflux is made worse by the sleeve better by bypass.

thanks Yvessa, that's news to me... I've only had it once in 42 years, and I think it was because I was practically living on coffee to keep the weight down.

Unfortunately for some people a sleeve can cause a reflux problem so I suspect they might think you're more of a risk of developing this and so they're recommending the bypass. Keep fighting!

Unfortunately for some people a sleeve can cause a reflux problem so I suspect they might think you're more of a risk of developing this and so they're recommending the bypass. Keep fighting!
thank u yvessa u have just helped me decide to get the bypass.. wooohooooo. lol i was in to minds but since i do get gastric reflux the band is the safer option. thankz huni

Back