• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Restaurant sized salads?

magicbeans

no longer obese!!
Can you eat them? went to a diner place and ordered a chicken ceaser salad, was huge... not a great deal of chicken, mostly salad and a little chicken. did chew it and took a while to eat but i managed the entire thing.

nowadays im trying to eat more salad as well and noticed im eating SOOOOOOOO much salad its ridiculous. i fill up my side plate at least 3-4times and manage it all no problems.

i know this sounds bizzare, its only salad, but does that mean my pouch is huge?? im constantly hungry as well, but i think thats head hunger ... i am struggling there. ive had 3 fills and i dont feel like it needs tightening or anything as its quite tight.

also, i have never been sick/productive burping. i get things stuck, but they move after a bit. but never been sick...im so scared my pouch is massive!!:cry:

Hi MB

I can eat a restaurant sized salad too and almost always chose that as an option when Im out because I know I can eat it ok.

At home its a different matter, infact its in reverse!? when Im at home or work I have more protein and a much smaller salad. The protein keeps me full for much longer too.

What sort of things are you having with your salad, maybe you could add chunkier/crunchier bits to it as well as increasing the size of your protein?!

Productive burping, basically regurgitating your food, is caused by eating too quickly or taking big bites of food and not chewing the food enough. The food does not travel through the little stomach pouch created by the lapband.

Productive burping, basically regurgitating your food, is caused by eating too quickly or taking big bites of food and not chewing the food enough. The food does not travel through the little stomach pouch created by the lapband.

Thank you xx

PB...i thought that was the technical term for being sick when being a bander.

phew thought i was abnormal for not being sick. im not huge on protein. so stick to only chicken but not loads....much prefer huge amounts of salad, but do u reckon that goes through too fast,

so thankful to ur reply that its ok to be able to have a salad and eat it all....was worried sick!

Yes PB'ing is the technical term for being sick.

I do think thats what it could be MB, the salads would appear to be going down too quickly and not keeping you full.

I myself dont eat meat but do eat fish. Do you like tuna, or cottage cheese, hummous? - there are lots of alternatives x

I'm having a terrible week with PBing - after having little/no restriction I had 2nd fill on Tuesday - my provider does not advise to go on floppies for a while so I thought I'd be ok with a small bowl if tender beef casserole in the evening - wrong ! It got stuck - I had an indigestion type feeling and kept burping up saliva - when I coughed the carrots came back up so I didn't eat anymore - had leftover for lunch the next day and went down fine. Had some chicken breast and veg last night and same thing happened - only managed chicken then carrots came back - not being sick though just in "burps". At lunch today - chicken again plus veg and could only eat the chicken before the familiar "burpy" feeling came back - only much worse as 30 minutes later my mouth was full of saliva and I had to dash to be sick - properly sick this time ! Not sure what to do really as my brekki goes down well - dry granola so its v textured - just seems an issue with meat - do u think I need a de fill or is it something else I'm doing wrong ???

Thanks

Michelle xxx

lol @ bagpipes..the huge stomach under the band can be the kilt!! lolz!!

thanks mazza....houmus looks completely fattening....after first fill i was able to manage baby carrots and houmous really well....but couldnt have carrots post 2nd fill....not fresh ones anyways, so havent tried houmus with salad....doesnt sound that yummy..how would u do it?

mgoody, id wait...go onto sloppies and ease into solids. and take it very slow.

Hi Michelle

Your provider may not advise the same as every other provider but it seems that eating after a fill is not suiting you.

I have to have liquids only on the fill day and for 2 days after, then 3 days of sloppies. This gives the fill a chance to bed in and settle down. Why not give this a try - it wont do you any harm.

Many banders struggle with meat and although I dont eat it my provider advises to not eat it until 3 months out and then with caution.

PB'ing is not something that should be considered as 'normal' it is a sign that all is not well. If it carries on you should consider eating less, eating more slowly and chewing your food more thoroughly.

thanks mazza....houmus looks completely fattening....after first fill i was able to manage baby carrots and houmous really well....but couldnt have carrots post 2nd fill....not fresh ones anyways, so havent tried houmus with salad....doesnt sound that yummy..how would u do it?

You can get low fat versions, Im the same with raw carrots and oddly cooked onion and peppers (fine with raw :confused:)

Bands sure are funny things!

Here are few of my salads for some idea - all served in a cereal bowl:

cubes of cucumber
peppers
mushrooms
grated carrot
beetroot
salad beans
onion

topped with tuna (about a heaped tablespoon) or hummous (same amount) or a boiled egg or cottage cheese.

Lots of black pepper and a drizzle of sweet chilli sauce.

I have this most lunch times at work and it keeps me full :D

Thank you - it's just odd that sometimes it's ok and others not ??? But then when you hear about all the different stories about how their bands are tighter at certain times it's just part of getting to know your band and it's limitations I suppose. In terms of volume I think Im ok with that as my portions are limited to a small bowl or side plate - re chewing and eating slowly how slow is slow? Will defo go on sloppies for a while to let it settle .

Thanks again xxx

aww thanks mazza....very kind of u there!!

I like to chose salads when I'm eating out, I find it less stressful as I know I'm going to be able to eat a decent amount and not get funny looks for managing 3 mouthfuls.

I've had a lovely salad for lunch today (homemade): lettuce leaves, red cabbage, peppers, cheese, roast pine nuts, cashew nuts and tuna. It was delish but I've had a huge plateful and I'm still hungry :(

loving the salad recipes...thanks girlies!!

had a salad with some lamb kebabs that we BBQd a few weeks back and then froze. made at home and on the BBQ, the fat melts off leaving mostly protein right!!

so did baby spinach, celery, cherry tomatoes, spring onions and a dash of salad cream (naughty but nice!) with lamb kebabs redone in oven. had a lot more lamb then i normally do ...ie bulk up the meat, which was hard work as im not huge on meat...but it was lush and nicely filling.

I can normally eat a mahoosive salad if it as no protein with it! Ive just grown some lettuce recently so been eating a lot of it with some balsamic vinegar (mmmmm delish) however, yesterday i had a salad in work and could only manage a few bites??

Back