• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Bypass / never feel full

leedsjeff

After 4 weeks after bypass I never feel full or sickly just a little concerned as I seem to be eating a lot, I here on here that people can only manage half a micro meal but I can eat full one im eating a lot of Irish stew but can have a full tin, only good thing is im not eating any bread or pudding had full tin of macron cheese other day and salad seems ok im scared I might stretch new pouch. What do you guys think?

hi jeff im also a bander but it sounds like your eating to many slider foods which will pass down easier, im not sure if slider foods work the same way for bypassers but this could be the reason, a bypasser will hopefully be along soon to give the correct advice x

liz x

Hi ya Jeff,

The way I understand it is that the feeling of fullness comes with time. At 4 weeks out, stomach nerves cut during surgery are still healing and it can take 2 - 3 months for the pouch to brain signal to kick into gear to give you that full feeling. Also, I suspect that @ 4 weeks you are still eating soft foods maybe even purees and these tend to slide through the pouch fairly easily. So anything soupy will empty out quickly giving you greater capacity to eat. I figure this 'never feeling full' business will change as you move to a more solid diet.

My surgeon explains that today's bypasses use the hard to stretch part of the stomach so I don't think you need to be worrying about stretching the pouch (though pouch abuse can lead to stretching of both pouch and stoma - stoma stretching being more of a worry) The best thing to do while you wait for the 'full' sensation to kick in is to perhaps measure your food according to guidelines you were given, if any.

Hi Jeff, are you still on puree'd food? If so these will just slide through so you wont get the full feeling yet. I havent felt full - but dont feel hungry either if that makes sense.

As Rising Sun said, the full sensation wont come until you get onto solid food.

Just to add - are you making sure you are not drinking with your meals. You should avoid drinking for 30 mins before and after each meal.

Thanks for all help and support...im on a mush type foods but can eat solid food without any trouble but am only just trying these maybe one meal a day then try to eat with plenty of gravy on evrything else..i try not to drink with food but find i need to have a sip after food.i have contacted diatition on anserphone just waiting for reply, whats realy worring me is i spoke to a women from work who said her husband had the bypass 6 months agoand in her words he buggered his bypass cos he rushed into solid foods and she beged me to take it slower ...jeff

You must not drink with food. Drink 30 mins before or 30 mins after - this is just about the most golden rule apart from nothing carbonated! A trick I was told was to just have half the amount you would normally have of something - ie half the 1 portion meal etc. Feeling full comes with time but your pouch needs very little to fill it up!

Hi ya Jeff,

The way I understand it is that the feeling of fullness comes with time. At 4 weeks out, stomach nerves cut during surgery are still healing and it can take 2 - 3 months for the pouch to brain signal to kick into gear to give you that full feeling. Also, I suspect that @ 4 weeks you are still eating soft foods maybe even purees and these tend to slide through the pouch fairly easily. So anything soupy will empty out quickly giving you greater capacity to eat. I figure this 'never feeling full' business will change as you move to a more solid diet.

My surgeon explains that today's bypasses use the hard to stretch part of the stomach so I don't think you need to be worrying about stretching the pouch (though pouch abuse can lead to stretching of both pouch and stoma - stoma stretching being more of a worry) The best thing to do while you wait for the 'full' sensation to kick in is to perhaps measure your food according to guidelines you were given, if any.

Hi Jeff

I'm not a post op patient at all but I think Rising Sun has put it all in a nut shell for you...Everything she says makes perfect sense.

And don't worry about your co-worker's husband experience as this was his experience and her opinion..I bet there is a whole lotta grey area that she has not covered....And everyone is different.

What has your weight loss been like?

Good luck

(((hugs)))

last time i got waighed i have lost 2 1/2 stone thats with pre op diet (1 week) and 4 weeks after op only lost 1 pound last week am at six week check up soon ....jeff

Check out Nic's brilliant thread here that should help you a lot.
http://www.minimins.com/surgical-weight-loss/69900-pouch-rules-dummies-informational-post.html

Try to ensure that you drink half an hour before food, make sure your eating the protiens first and carbs last and eat slowly putting your fork down between mouthfuls, this will give the stomach time to tell the brain its full.

I could have eaten a whole weight watchers meal by the way at about four five weeks post op. I couldn't now. Lucky if I can eat half a weatabix now.

I'm sure your dietician will advise you.

xx

http://www.minimins.com/surgical-weight-loss/69900-pouch-rules-dummies-informational-post.html

Hi jeff
I feel the same, can eat a WW meal now but feel that I shouldn't. Dont feel full either? Can't seem to eat eggs, toast or rice, seem to be living on cheese triangles? anyone else have these problems?

well still wating for diatition to ring back going to see surgoen soon so might mention to him how im feeling and diatition didnt ring back (diatition is his wife at spire leeds) i dont feel hungry but if i dont eat i feel very weak, then spend rest of time worring that i have eaten too much i did mentiont to nurse at gp and she said i should stop worring and i have too much time now and thinking about things too much.....jeff

Back