• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

RNY vs DS

PurpleKylie22

Has anyone here had the Bypass DS? I think the main difference is your pouch is a little bigger and the intestine smaller for the DS, so RNY works mostly on lack of food and malabosorbtion as a secondary and DS is the other way around, are there different benefits? I don't understand why there are two types of bypass really...

i had Ds 28/11/2011 and it's not a pouch but like a sleeve we still have the pyloric sphynchta muscle which holds food in it doesn't just run through but the connection from lower intestine is much further down than bypass and just about connects straight to the bowel which is why we have only 20% absorbtion and have to take many vitamins daily for life ... i had mine done because i eat a lot of meat and found i would be able to get my protein much better with this and also it's not reversable because they do so much inside, it's a 3-4 hr op where others (band sleeve bypass ) are much shorter mine was 6 1/2 because of some bleeding complications but i am fine now and it doesn't bother me at all. We don't dump at all but have to be careful if we eat too spicy or high fat food because it can badly effect the bowels :( the advantages are really good with getting rid of diabetes i don't take anything now at all, and the sleep apnoea has very much reduced so that will go too :) there aren't many people on here who have had it done but there are two very experienced ladies who will better advise you than me because i'm still getting used to it xxx good luck and i hope i've been of some help :)

my provider told me they only did the RYN in the Uk as the others are too arrgesive, wheather this true i am unsure

Thanks angie thats really helpful!

my provider told me they only did the RYN in the Uk as the others are too arrgesive, wheather this true i am unsure

I suspect even if it is done in the UK, Aberdeen likely wont be doing it. It does sounds as if it has better long term benefits though

i had it done at murrayfield spire and i don't think there are many places that do it because it is fairly new in this country and there aren't so many surgeons trained for it yet .. i really can't say about scotland but is there a spire hospital up there and if there is maybe they could help... but the surgeon definitely won't do it if he thinks you won't follow it rigidly because of the malabsorbtion issue ,, i had to follow the post op diet for three weeks before i went to see him and write down exactly what when and how much i ate and drank :) he asked questions about lifestyle eg do i forget to take tabs etc am i an organised person he said they refuse quite a lot of people because they don't think they will be able to cope with it :)

I'm almost 7 years out from a DS.

Angie's got it pretty well down pat with the biology & the fact you need to be very organized to keep up with it or they won't do it.

I do know many who have had it done in the UK. Some have gone abroad, some private in the UK.

One thing to add: it is pretty much the most aggressive of the weight loss surgeries. Requires a lot of aftercare -- for life. Also, usually gives the greatest % of weightloss & is good with keeping it off.

I spoke to a few people about this as initially I wanted the most agressive surgery and I knew I could manage whatever post op care was necessary. However, my hospital (luton and dunstable) don't offer it and every healthcare professional told me that it is basically a much higher percentage risk for perhaps another 10% weightloss. The reality is, the bypass is practiced so regularly it is much safer and there are fewer malabsorption problems in the future according to the hospital which is why they no longer offer it. Also the 10% weight loss is based on averages, some will lose more, some less.

Thanks for the confidence Postop i hardly say anything about it because i don't want to say the wrong thing :) i'm on 13 tabs a day at the minute after blood tests including ferrous sulphate because i really was quite anaemic ( my hubby said do you know you look yellow ) anyway apart from my broken ribs, freezing cold, and yellow skin i'm great xx

Thanks for the confidence Postop i hardly say anything about it because i don't want to say the wrong thing :) i'm on 13 tabs a day at the minute after blood tests including ferrous sulphate because i really was quite anaemic ( my hubby said do you know you look yellow ) anyway apart from my broken ribs, freezing cold, and yellow skin i'm great xx

Lol that hubby of yours! Break your ribs and tell you that you look yellow, he sounds very caring... not! haha Aww i guess his heart is in the right place though and it sure sounds like he was sorry for the rib incident I guess men can just be insensitive at times. I was looking at the DS because, well I guess I'm just worried about regain. I have heard a lot of people regain weight after a bypass (I haven't even been accepted into the weight management programme and in my head I'm post weight management, post tests, post surgery and regaining weight!) I just don't want to go through everything and then find that I regain the weight again in 5 / 10 years time when its taking so much just to get considered for surgery this time around, I'm sure anything later would be twice as huge a battle :(

The statistics I was reading basically say that 1 yr post op RNY and DS paintents have around the same weight loss, 3 years post op DS'ers have lost more weight from the 1yr figure and the average RNY patient has regained weight from their one year figure. Its kinda scarey looking at it that way... I also figured that most RNY paitents have some slight to moderate malnutrition so although a DS patient will have more, it isn't a choice between taken some pills and none, its a choice between taking some and taking more than some. Its probably a mute point for me anyway, assuming I ever get to the surgery stage I don't think it will be an option :(

But I wish anyone who has it or is considering it all the best :) There is such a huge difference in your pictures Angie you really are doing amazingly.

Thankyou for the thread... i felt a bit rude asking what a DS actually was.. and now i know xxx

I wanted a DS at first but I am not a big meat eater and I forget tablets sometimes. Lucky I wanted RNY as that was only option at my hospital.
As I was told the regain is if you stop working with your tool and go back to old habits. I know people who are 7 years + out of RNY and look fab they have not regained. If you have the op you need to change your life style that is the only way you will keep the weight off.

I wanted a DS at first but I am not a big meat eater and I forget tablets sometimes. Lucky I wanted RNY as that was only option at my hospital.
As I was told the regain is if you stop working with your tool and go back to old habits. I know people who are 7 years + out of RNY and look fab they have not regained. If you have the op you need to change your life style that is the only way you will keep the weight off.

Great to hear that! Aberdeen is really useless at this kind of thing, probably why i got rejected even though my BMI was over 50 at the time of referral! The only people I know who have had this are on here or another WLS forum and so there aren't that many people I can just throw a 100 questions at... I wish that my hospital would accept me so I can join in on support groups and actually speak to people who have been through it, I'm the kind of person who worries about everything unless I have a plan. If I can make a plan then its fine, even if I don't follow it exactly I need a plan so I have an idea of where I'm going, if that makes sense and so seeing stories about re-gain 3 years after surgery... its scary. I don't want regain in my plan lol
I'm happy to eat healthy and exercise and have energy!

Rayne i can't believe you didn't ask me :) Kylie i really don't paint him in a good light do i :) he's lovely and very caring (hense the too hard hug ) but maybe sometimes he's a bit tactless xx

Great to hear that! Aberdeen is really useless at this kind of thing, probably why i got rejected even though my BMI was over 50 at the time of referral! The only people I know who have had this are on here or another WLS forum and so there aren't that many people I can just throw a 100 questions at... I wish that my hospital would accept me so I can join in on support groups and actually speak to people who have been through it, I'm the kind of person who worries about everything unless I have a plan. If I can make a plan then its fine, even if I don't follow it exactly I need a plan so I have an idea of where I'm going, if that makes sense and so seeing stories about re-gain 3 years after surgery... its scary. I don't want regain in my plan lol
I'm happy to eat healthy and exercise and have energy!

I was lucky I found a group to go to once I got funding. I asked lots of questions. I also read lots online but remember some stuff online isn't always correct.
I had a plan hun but it changes lots as most of it is out of your hands.

Thanks for the confidence Postop i hardly say anything about it because i don't want to say the wrong thing :) I'm on 13 tabs a day at the minute after blood tests including ferrous sulphate because i really was quite anaemic ( my hubby said do you know you look yellow ) anyway apart from my broken ribs, freezing cold, and yellow skin i'm great xx
Wow, I didn't know you had broken ribs. I hope you're not in too much pain & are healing.

Iron is a tricky thing. I take 2 pills per day. Some need intravenous. Glad your husband saw what was going on.

Are you freezing due to the wt. loss? I know many people have this. I'm one of the odd ones. I'm still comfortable - warm.

Last edited:
I spoke to a few people about this as initially I wanted the most agressive surgery and I knew I could manage whatever post op care was necessary. However, my hospital (luton and dunstable) don't offer it and every healthcare professional told me that it is basically a much higher percentage risk for perhaps another 10% weightloss. The reality is, the bypass is practiced so regularly it is much safer and there are fewer malabsorption problems in the future according to the hospital which is why they no longer offer it. Also the 10% weight loss is based on averages, some will lose more, some less.
Hey, you have to do what is right for you. That's why each of the weight loss surgeries are such a miracle in themselves. We all just have to find the one that is right for us.

Best of luck.

I agree. And for a long time I honestly wanted the ds.Not having it available obviously made me reassess. I think as long as you stick to the rules you will optimise your weightloss with any surgery.

Back