• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

6 months on - my experience.

ceejay

I just thought I'd put down a few things about how my life has changed, since I'm now 6 months on from my surgery date...

My op was July 7th when I weighed 16st 12lbs. Previous to that I'd lost around 4st 2lbs which took me just over a year to do. I decided to have my op after turning down the bypass 7 months earlier, and the weight was slowly creeping back on, and it's the best thing ever! The few days following my op, I had the doubts - 'had I made a mistake..?', etc. but these are quite normal, and no, I hadn't!

Anyway, pre-op I had a real sweet tooth and would pick at chocolate, sweets, biscuits, desserts, etc.... Now, I rarely fancy anything sweet and love meaty crisps! I used to drink black coffee and milky drinks (hot chocolate, latte, cappuccino,etc.) made me feel sickly.... Now, I have a splash of milk in my coffee and my treat is a vanilla latte. I find this really strange.
I was a sneaky eater before my op, and often found myself shoving a biscuit or something in if I was alone. This is a hard habit to break... If I'm alone I still look for something to snack on even if I'm not hungry. I'm trying to keep myself busy so as to avoid this. Hopefully the force of habit will be forgotten...
I now have smaller portions than my 3yr old ds, but most days I have 4 meals. I still get that hunger feeling in my stomach, but wonder if it's wind...? I thought I wasn't supposed to feel hungry ever again! I can eat anything I want - sweet, pastas, bread, meats, etc., but I limit my intake of anything not 'good for you'. My weakness is crisps. If I give in, I try to share them with my ds so I'm not having a full packet.

Other things I can't get my head round are compliments and clothes shopping. Any nice comments made, I laugh or make some excuse as to the weightloss (nobody knows... apart from dh). My usual response to 'you've lost a lot of weight' is 'I'm trying but it's hard. I've put some back on over the winter'. My aim is to answer 'Thankyou. I know I have worked hard'.
Pre-op, clothes shopping was a nightmare. I was 24/26 and never went in any trendy shops. Now I'm 14 and still can't! I walk in them and straight back out. It's still in my head that the sales assistants will be looking and thinking 'There's nothing for her in here' or that it's pointless trying as I'll depress myself when nothing fits. I plan on having a girly shopping trip with my fashionable, young niece, who'll show me where to go and what to get.
3 months after surgery, my hair started to come out. That's slowed down a lot now, but my hair's been left quite thin, but not noticable to others. I've had it cut into a different style so as to disguise it and I'm starting to notice the new growth.

The most important thing I've learned in the last 6 months is that my head definately controls me. The reason I didn't lose weight before was because I wasn't ready in my head, and the reason I lost over 4st, is because I was! The fact I have to fight not to remain a sneaky eater, or to accept a compliment, or to buy a sexy, new dress... is all in my head. My aim for the next 6 months is to change this, and to take charge of my head - my body is getting there...

I now weigh 13st 1lb! I have lost 7st 13lbs in 1yr 7 months - 3st 11lbs since my op.
I am amazing!! :superwoman:

Well done Ceejay, you've done brilliantly. Thanks for being honest about the things that you struggle with too as I know we can tend to always think about the good things when talking about our op's and although there is so much is positive, it is important to remember it isn't easy too. I think you are doing a great job and here is to the next 6 months, I'm sure you can get to grips with what ever you need too. It's always a work in progress. The next 6 months will be great for you I'm sure :) Not long to go till goal :) x

I just thought I'd put down a few things about how my life has changed, since I'm now 6 months on from my surgery date...

My op was July 7th when I weighed 16st 12lbs. Previous to that I'd lost around 4st 2lbs which took me just over a year to do. I decided to have my op after turning down the bypass 7 months earlier, and the weight was slowly creeping back on, and it's the best thing ever! The few days following my op, I had the doubts - 'had I made a mistake..?', etc. but these are quite normal, and no, I hadn't!

Anyway, pre-op I had a real sweet tooth and would pick at chocolate, sweets, biscuits, desserts, etc.... Now, I rarely fancy anything sweet and love meaty crisps! I used to drink black coffee and milky drinks (hot chocolate, latte, cappuccino,etc.) made me feel sickly.... Now, I have a splash of milk in my coffee and my treat is a vanilla latte. I find this really strange.
I was a sneaky eater before my op, and often found myself shoving a biscuit or something in if I was alone. This is a hard habit to break... If I'm alone I still look for something to snack on even if I'm not hungry. I'm trying to keep myself busy so as to avoid this. Hopefully the force of habit will be forgotten...
I now have smaller portions than my 3yr old ds, but most days I have 4 meals. I still get that hunger feeling in my stomach, but wonder if it's wind...? I thought I wasn't supposed to feel hungry ever again! I can eat anything I want - sweet, pastas, bread, meats, etc., but I limit my intake of anything not 'good for you'. My weakness is crisps. If I give in, I try to share them with my ds so I'm not having a full packet.

Other things I can't get my head round are compliments and clothes shopping. Any nice comments made, I laugh or make some excuse as to the weightloss (nobody knows... apart from dh). My usual response to 'you've lost a lot of weight' is 'I'm trying but it's hard. I've put some back on over the winter'. My aim is to answer 'Thankyou. I know I have worked hard'.
Pre-op, clothes shopping was a nightmare. I was 24/26 and never went in any trendy shops. Now I'm 14 and still can't! I walk in them and straight back out. It's still in my head that the sales assistants will be looking and thinking 'There's nothing for her in here' or that it's pointless trying as I'll depress myself when nothing fits. I plan on having a girly shopping trip with my fashionable, young niece, who'll show me where to go and what to get.
3 months after surgery, my hair started to come out. That's slowed down a lot now, but my hair's been left quite thin, but not noticable to others. I've had it cut into a different style so as to disguise it and I'm starting to notice the new growth.

The most important thing I've learned in the last 6 months is that my head definately controls me. The reason I didn't lose weight before was because I wasn't ready in my head, and the reason I lost over 4st, is because I was! The fact I have to fight not to remain a sneaky eater, or to accept a compliment, or to buy a sexy, new dress... is all in my head. My aim for the next 6 months is to change this, and to take charge of my head - my body is getting there...

I now weigh 13st 1lb! I have lost 7st 13lbs in 1yr 7 months - 3st 11lbs since my op.
I am amazing!! :superwoman:

Well done....it was very nice to read...best of luck x

Well done. These head changes sure take time. I love my sleeve.

wow well done ceejay and thank you for sharing your experience I atm have started reverting back to old habbits of sweet snacking at night watching tv..............need to stop this again but with all the waiting its just crept back up on me.............no excuse because i buy the crap im eating :). I will once again beat this habbit thanks for the inspiration. x

wow well done ceejay and thank you for sharing your experience I atm have started reverting back to old habbits of sweet snacking at night watching tv..............need to stop this again but with all the waiting its just crept back up on me.............no excuse because i buy the crap im eating :). I will once again beat this habbit thanks for the inspiration. x

When I was pre-op and craved sweet things, especially on a night, I'd have a low cal hot chocolate with low fat squirty cream on top. It's still more than you should have, but better than a bar of chocolate or pack of biccies, and it's enough to satisfy your craving.
I wouldn't thank you for it now... eurgh!! :p

Back