• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Ross Hall or Nuffield Glasgow?

biggy123

Hi everyone, I have a consultation at the beginning of next month at Ross Hall with Mr Carter to discuss a band but have also been doing a bit of research on Nuffield with Mr Galloway.

Obviously cost will play a part in the final decision, Ross Hall is just under £7,000 and that includes one year guarantee, consultants visits and i think 4 fills. Fills after that are £275 each.

Nuffield has 2 plans: Basic £5,500 and that is one year guarantee, one fill, fills after that are between £60 - £180 depending on who does it, x-rays etc. any consultantions would also need to be paid for.
The premium plan is just under £7,500 with 2 year guarantee, 2 years consultants visits and 8 fills.

I'm really not sure what would be best to go with. Are there any experienced banders out there who could advise?

Anyone with experience of Ross Hall or Nuffield or the surgeons involved?

Thanks.

Hi - I had Mr Galloway on the NHS - he's fab... totally fab x

He gets a lot of praise on various forums. I think I'll probably end up getting a consult with him as well and make the decision from there.

Its a lot of money and I feel like I'm just wasting it on something I should be able to do myself.:sigh:

i know what you mean
i wish i could afford to go private or as you say be able to do it myself :sigh:

HI and welcome to the site. Its nice to see another Scot around as i am seriously thinking of starting up a support group in the glasgow area. I too looked up both surgeons and hospitals and had originally decided on Mr Galloway at the Nuffield as i felt they were offering more. That said i decided in the end that a bypass was better for me and went privately to Manchester as there aren't many surgoens north of the border experienced in bypass surgery. I know what you mean by saying you should be doing this yourself goodness how many times i said that to myself. Having wls is one of the best things i have ever done after years of misery so you go for it and we will be here to support you on your journey. Good luck x

Hi gaelic girl, did your surgeon/consultant think that was best for you?
Since coming onto the forum and reading peoples stories and weight losses I'm beginning to think that maybe a bypass would be more successful?...even more ££££ though and the thought of it is even scarier than the band - but at least there would be no worrying about fills etc.
I know that up here the cost is £10,000+. I take it that's about average?

Hi yes he did and to be honest he was so right. I like you went with a band in mind cause i was terrified at the thought of a bypass. However when we talked about my eating habits ie i grazed on sweet things all the time and was addicted to chocolate and a bypass is def better if thats what you do. I paid 10k for mine but for that i got a top surgeon and two years of after care and have been so fortunate to have been pain free with no complications. Ok it is a bit of a trail to Manchester but i have gone from a size 24/26 to a size 12 and a bmi of 47 to now 25.5 and i have met some lovely friends who are on here so its been worth every penny. I'm in East Kilbride if you would like to meet for coffee i'd be happy to and talk to you and share my journey if it helps x

Thanks Gaelic Girl...I feel like I've got a million questions for you now!

I'm exactly the weight you started at and no matter what I lose I always end up back at that exact weight, so to see your progress is inspiring.

I'm more of a 'bulk' eater, sweets and biscuits could lie in my house for months untouched but I have a real problem with portion size especially in sandwiches, pasta etc.

Can I ask who your surgeon was?
Did you contact them directly or go through someone else?

Most of the problems I've read so far have been with the band so maybe the sleeve or bypass would be better for me.

A band is usually suitable for a bulk eater so you could be on the right track. My surgeon is the god that is Mr Basil Ammori there are quite a few of us on here who had him do our surgery. I went through Marcus Landauer Cosmetic Surgery cn't fault them as they have done exactly what they promised. Feel free to ask any questions thats how i got to where i am today x

Gaelic Girl, I've just had a phone call from Marcus!

I can have a consult with Dr Ammori next week if I want and op the week after - how scary is that?!?

He gave me a lot of information and definately thinks that due to my BMI, that I would be better going for the bypass - another scary thought.

My head is spinning with this - its all so sudden, even though I've been thinking about it for years.

I'll have to talk it over with my OH tonight. Its such a big decision - do you have any regrets?

Absolutly none at all. It can be as quick as that when you go privately. You could go and have a consultation and see how you feel from there but i honestly can't praise his expertise and his manner enough. I was terrified too but my life is so different and positive now i'm so glad i took his advice. I'll try and send you a message with my number or if you want i'm happy to meet for a coffee soon as i'm off work at the moment ( not wls related) xx

Back