• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sleeve or Bypass? Healthier Weight or THG or Tonic?

jay_hl

I need some advice ...

Im a 28 year old male who has been overweight his whole life. I have been yo-yo dieting for the past 4 years, and although managed to loose 4 stone, have slowly piled it back on again, and am now at my heaviest at 23.5 stone. My ideal weight is somewhere around 12 stone, possibly about 12 stone to loose. Live in London.

I have been enquiring about surgery with both Heathier Weight and the Hospital Group. I have been told the band will not be effective, as I have too much to loose.

Heathier Weight (Dr David Ashton consulting) said I was too young for a bypass (due to the possible long term malnutrients issue), and therefore should have a sleeve with Mr Rishi Singhal in Birmingham.

The Hospital Group (Mr Shamsi El-Hasani) said his number one suggestion was a bypass, and if not a bypass, a sleeve. The fact that they suggest I should take vitamins with a sleeve anyway, he said I might as well have a bypass.

Awaiting a consultation this week with Tonic and Mr Sherif Awad for his recomendation.

The sleeve they guarantee is 95% effective, but bypass is guaranteed 100% effective. They both cost the same, and take the same recovery process, and time under the knife. So how do I decide?

So questions:
1) Sleeve or Bypass?
2) Heathier Weight (Singhal) or The Hospital Group (El-Hasani) or Tonic (Mr Sherif Awad)?
3) Anyone else (company of surgeon) I should be considering?

Thanks

Jay

Last edited:
Hi and welcome!

Its a minefield hey?!

Whilst we cannot advise on which company to use, which surgeon or which operation (thats not what we're about -repliers take note please :D) we can tell you our experience.

First of all no weight loss surgery is 100% succesful unless you are prepared to work with it and work you will have to do I'm afraid.

You need to be prepared to completely change not only your eating habbits but also your lifestyle in general to succeed.

We have 100% successful banders, of which I was one, bypassers and sleevers. We also have regainers and strugglers, which I'm afraid is the harsh reality. As are deficiencies, leaks and other long term problems, which you may or may not of been told about.

My advice is to research, research and research some more.

As long as you're prepared to put the effort in, there's no reason why you won't succeed, so good luck and keep us posted on your decision x

Hello and welcome :)
Basically everything Mazza said ^

Hello and welcome!

You need to look at what package the companies are offering - I think pyschological support is essential, how many appointments do they offer? Also dietician and nutritionalist support. How long are you covered for if there are issues relating to your WLS?

Also think about why you need the op, how do you use food? What foods do you go for, what do you eat too much of/ binge on? Is it just volume of food or do you eat a lot of sweet food?

I went for the bypass because of the added deterent of dumping syndrome- if you don't know what that is let us know. Anyway, the worry about that helps keep me on track and make sure my refined sugar intake per meal is around 5g.

Also we were told that sleevers on average lose 65% of their excess weight and by passers 75%. With quite a lot to lose I wanted the best chance of doing that. I worried it would be too easy to eat sweet stuff with a sleeve.

However there are some sleevers that dump as well, and lots of sleevers that lose 100% of their excess weight! so there are no absolute hard and fast rules.

As for which hospital - have you looked at private hospitals directly rather than companies? Are there any local to you? Or are you wanting to travel?

Good luck with whatever you decide but I advise to do lots of research on here and elsewhere, including into what life is like afterwards.

Hi Jay, I'm also new here and I opted for the sleeve. My surgeon is Mr Roger Ackroyd and I'll be having my procedure carried out on 20th December at Claremont Private Hospital Sheffield.

I

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi and welcome x

Back