• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Shopping

wizzbang

Does anybody else have this problem.........
When I go shopping for food I end up buying far too much.
My partner doesn't eat the same kind of things I do, he likes takeaways and quick fix food. Frozen pies etc, although he does like my cooking. I think it is because he lived alone for so long and got used to eating rubbish.
But to carry on, when I shop I still find myself looking for yummy stuff to eat and buy far too much. My freezer is overflowing with fish, pork chops which I always think I will eat half a chop at a time, bits of mashed potato in freezer bags from when I could only eat two desertspoonsful of it. Mince that I have bought and had to freeze in quarter of a pack size ohhh allsorts.
I cant give up the habit of buying stuff I would have eaten before my op, even though I dont want to eat it. It is like part of the whole comfort thing with food, it seems like there is some kind of comfort in the purchase or choosing of food too.
What do you think?
How have you overcome this problem?
Lynne x

This is very interesting for me.

I worked out the other day that after the op and changing my eating habits will save about £15 per week BUT it hadn't occurred to me that I will have to break the shopping habit too.

Thank you for starting this thread x

I have started to clear my fridge and freezer.
I had bought two packs of cooked chicken the other day with the intention of eating one pack for two meals one day and the other pack for the following day.
I had so much stock in the fridge that I ended up giving the chicken to my dog. He loved it, although I refuse to give him a kiss now because he smells of garlic lol.
I cooked one of the quater packs of mince from the freezer and mixed it with some microwave rice, and that has made two meals. I will eat the leftover for my tea tomorrow. I have got some salad which I am going to have with a tin of tuna for lunch tomorrow. I had a punnet of mushrooms which I couldn't bear to throw away so I have made mushroom soup with it. Not in the least fattening as I didnt use any fats and used skimmed milk. I don't know when I am going to manage to eat that! I wonder if it will freeze?
I have made myself a promise. I will only shop for one days food at a time, shopping today for what I will eat tomorrow, each day. I will take my time looking for what I want to eat and buy nothing more.
I also promised myself that I wont look in the bargain fridges, I often buy stuff from them but realise that I shouldnt really as I don't NEED any of it at all.
I'm still full from my dinner now lol.
Lynne x

Get your shopping delivered!
It may cost a fiver but this is easily compensated as it saves a fortune on all the 'oh that looks nice I'll try it'/'I really fancy that'/'thats a great offer - I need another 10 of them!' things that you pick up walking around that you don't need.

I find it a saviour - I'm on my pre-op and hubbie's 3 months after his op so tonight delivery was tons of milk for me, lots of tins for him (he seems to tolerate things like chicken and veg or Irish stew with some veggies for his main meal so we stocked up as I get a big shop once a month then just get fruit and veg and bread when I need it

Asda delivery is only 2.50 if you book an 8hr slot,I always stay in on saturday so have mine delivered then.I spend saturday morning making meals with the weeks leftovers and anything left in the fridge.Clean the fridge out and Im ready for my delivery!Shop at local markets for fruit salad and veg its often cheaper cos you buy what you will use ie 4 apples instead of a bagful of which two end up in the bin!

Thats a good idea. I might have a go at that but it would have to be a monthly shop. I honestly dont need to buy enough stuff to warrant a delivery really. A pack of mince if I were to eat it each night would last for five nights! lol. Once packet of micro rice lasts me for three nights and I probably go through 2 litres of milk a week.
I will try it though. I will use up everthing I have in my cupboards and then get a list sorted and make an order online.
The more I think about this and realise how much food I buy that I dont need, the more I understand that buying food is just as much a problem for me as overeating was.
And come to think of it now, I also have loads of clothes I have never worn, still with the labels in them!!!
This comfort shopping has hit me like a blow to the head this week and I am going to get it sorted as quickly as possible.
Thanks for the help girls.
Lynne x

I find I still cook for four lol even thou I only have to cook for myself ... Poppy my dog loves it !!! And as for shopping everything is huge packs if it is in small packet u pay double the price !!! Xxx my freezer is stuffed.... Xxx

Yes I know what you mean. My wizzy loves the fact that I over buy and over cook. He is having flavoured chicken tonight, tandori I think, that I bought from Asda and dont want or need myself. Yesterdays chicken smelt lovely, it was cooked in garlic and fragrant coconut milk. I had never seen these before when I bought them and was going to have them with a salad but I couldn't possibly have eaten them. I would have done before surgery, or at least had some of it. Its no wonder I got so big.
Lynne x

Its a thing a lot of us have in common,stores of food incase the world ends!You end up binning it.Hoarding food,clothes,fat its all the same thing,a comfort blanket that we wrap ourselves in.We dont need it so lets liberate ourselves! 'Down With Hoarding!'

lol We need blue diamond to get a banner sorted for us.....
Down with food stashing!
Lynne x

Back