• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Should I get WLS?

I've just had two weeks off and I'm a preschool teacher if i could have had three I may have but feel ok very tired but good. Problem I had is I got bored quickly as I'm used to being very active with little peeps and missed being around work colleagues ect. Personal choice.

Thanks for all your experience and advice, I really appreciate it. I'm deputy head and don't do very much teaching at all. My head is enormously supportive and has pretty much said I must go on how I'm feeling and they will cover me whatever. I will be able to do lots of my paperwork from home and hopefully nip in and out initially until I see how I feel. I'm ridiculously excited! Does anyone know how long it took them to drive? Also, I'm just over bmi 50 which means it's more expensive! Anyone else had this and is it worth me trying to lose some weight (I'd need to lose a stone) before the op or will it go on the weight I am now?

I drove after 1 week and 5 days - I think I could have driven before that but didn't want to risk it. I have a desk job and was working from home after a week, and then back to my desk two weeks after surgery. I think I've been incredibly fortunate - I didn't even take a painkiller after surgery!

Hey guys, so today i got my date for surgery - 4th of Feb - so excited!! Only a month to go and about 2 weeks until the pre op diet starts!

Whoooo! Fantastic news! Keep us up to date with your progress xx

That is great news that you have a surgery date! We're all different and this won't be the right approach for everyone but it sounds like you've done your research and given it a lot of thought so this is a really positive step. I'm about five months post-bypass and my only regret is that I didn't do this sooner. I'm 50 and have tried every diet going and have lost the same 10 stone at least 6 times, but always end up putting it back on. For once this is going to be a permanent change. Partly because of the physical restriction that surgery brings, but also I'm finding because of my different attitude towards food. It's becoming much less important in my life, I went through a short period of missing the comfort but am now embracing the space this leaves to enjoy other things.

Everyone's different in how well they recover after surgery. I had no pain at all and could move around fairly freely almost immediately. The main problem was tiredness, luckily I work mainly at home so was doing bits and pieces and soon as 4-5 days after the op and built up to a full time return to sedentary desk work after about 10 days. I felt fine to drive after about a week (though to be honest I was enjoying lounging about the house in my pj's so much I didn't venture far).

I didn't find these forums until shortly before my op which is a shame as I find people here are so lovely and helpful and there's no shortage of advice and support.

Keep us updated as your date grows closer, congratulations again and welcome to the rest of your life :)

Potter x

Fantastic news. I'm having my consult on Friday so fingers crossed and all going well I will book for March. Can't wait to hear all about it.

Hi all, this is my first post on this forum so a little about me. I'm 35, just over 20 stone and have tried every diet under the sun. I've lost large amounts of weight with vlcds and consequently put it all back on again and then some.... I'm starting to believe that weight loss surgery is the best way forward for me as my life is completely controlled by my weight. Physically there is so much I can't do and I'm not going out or having a relationship because I'm ashamed of myself. It's causing anxiety and panic attacks. I have a great job and lovely friends and family but this is such a huge burden in my life.

My parents have offered to pay for weight loss surgery. I know I'm enormously lucky to be in this situation. So id love to know your experiences and whether you think gastric sleeve is the way forward.

Thanks in anticipation!

Welcome!!

I can definitely identify with you (especially in the relationship department :cry:). I have been on one diet or another since age 14! Gained weight, lost weight, and gained back even more lol! As a result suffered from depression for a very very long time... I would say definitely go for it! You only get one life. Do lots and lots of research. A good place I found is Youtube. LOADS of people have uploaded videos detailing their experiences with different surgeries. This definitely gave me a push and helped me make my mind up about approaching my GP for a referral.
This website is also amazing, as you have direct contact with plenty of people going through the same thing.

Good luck, and keep us updated. xx

Last edited:
Thank you for all your lovely messages. So I have one week to go before the dreaded milk diet begins and then 2 weeks after that until the op. Nervous and excited, it's starting to feel real. Did anyone else do the milk diet? Think I'm going to do that as if rather not be measuring out food and stuff

Thanks, yes I'm aware of needing 60g of protein and ensuring 2 litres of water. Having done plenty of diets I've spent rather a long time weighing and measuring! I'm a teacher and for me it's simpler to drink milk for two weeks. I've done vlcd for 6 month stints so I'm sure I'll cope with two weeks of milk. Also, I do rather want to start taking food out of the equation - emotionally I think it will be a tough 2 weeks as it is ....

I totally get what you mean juju. Even though everyone dreads it, I think the milk will be the only way for me too if only to try and sever the emotional connection to food. I have by consult tomorrow so I'm hoping to have done in March.

Back