• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Simple Cheese Sauce

phatgirl

I posted this sauce in a thread of CowGirls as an alternative to red sauce. I have made some adjustments for single serving. Here it is:

Original Post:

I have made the following recipe from memory, but the proportions will have to be adjusted to suit your portion size. This makes sauce for 4 "normal" servings of pasta. Please give me feedback when you use it, this is a whole new cooking world for me too. I am thinking for a WLS person this would be 8-10 servings. This does refrigerate well (3 days) or can be frozen for up to a month.

Simple Low-fat Cheese Sauce

Ingredients:
Low fat cheese of choice
(shredded is best, melts better)
or sharp cheese which is less oily
6 ounces

Flour
6 tablespoons

Low fat margarine spread
2 tablespoons

Semi-skim Milk
(don’t recommend skim, you need a bit of fat)
250-350* mils

English mustard
1-2 teaspoons
to taste

Fresh ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon

Ground nutmeg (optional but gives nice zing)
1/4 teaspoon

Using a medium size sauce pot, turn your hob temp to medium. Add margarine. Once that has begun to melt, add in flour and stir. I find that a large metal spoon works best. Stir for a couple of minutes, allowing the texture to go from dry and clumpy, to wet, then to slightly dry again.

Add a splash of milk, stir until combined. Repeat until you have used all of the milk, then add cheese. Don’t worry if it looks clumpy before or after cheese, it will smooth out. Once the cheese starts to melt, add in the mustard, pepper & nutmeg. As soon as it looks velvety & smooth, remove from heat.

The whole process doesn’t take too long (less than 10 mins) but requires lots of stirring so give it your full attention.

*Don’t be afraid to add a little extra milk as you go if it looks too dry, sometimes weather & hob temp will change the consistency.

When the sauce is room temp, you can spread it on things if desired.

Modification for single serving:
Reduce ingedients to these quantities:
1 tsp Butter/Margerine
2 tsp Flour
1 oz Cheese Shredded or diced
1-2 oz milk
Dash of Pepper
Tiny dash of Nutmeg
Tiny squirt or dash of any spicy mustard (to taste)

Do instructions as above except add the following:

Use a very small sauce pan, stir contantly so as not to stick or scorch the milk, keep extra milk handy just in case. Recommend harder cheese so the sauce is not stringy.

personally i would use cornflour so no need for the margarine. It also makes it gluten free so all my family can eat it.

you can do it without the margerine and still use plain flour, I do this to help keep the fat content down, just add the flour to the cold milk, and heat while whisking. It thickens in the same way but won't be as glossy :)

When I make cheese sauce, the milk, butter and flour go in the saucepan together and whisked while it comes to the boil. Then I take it off the heat and add cheese.

so easy :)

I used to do the roux, then add milk (as taught at school), but found it a palavar. So now add it together and get less lumps :)

thanks for the tips, I will try them myself!:D

Back