• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sorting the brain as well as the weight

This evening I had my first counselling session and realised there's a lot more to this weight loss than just the pounds coming off.

I'm presuming those who go down the NHS route get the emotional support as well as the physical, but with my private surgery I don't get any counselling or well-being aftercare.

I've signed up to a counselling service in my area which seems like a good idea.

Tonight's session was an eye-opener. I didn't realise I had so many things tumbling around in my brain, making me less than 100%. It was amazingly cathartic, especially as I cried for about 45 minutes of the hour long meeting!

Anyone else discovering more about themselves now? It would be interesting to hear about other people's experiences of the other side of weight loss surgery.

xx

Interestingly my surgery has been offered with a clinical psychologist at an extra cost - about £800 for 6 sessions over the two years. Personally I'm a huge believer in counselling and I intend on finding someone to see regularly in the next few weeks but I think the offer from the hospital might be too expensive and not often enough? What do others think?

Hmmm yes.... not as simple as weight for me either.... my opinion its all in the mind (well for me anyway) I was done via the NHS and the psychological side of things were a tad lacking, although it is there to those they deemed needed it the most LOL I was deemed ok BUT I was concerned as so many of my 'past issues' were all tied up in the parcel .... I had to mentally face all those issues again as I lost the lb's..... I feel the layers of fat have embedded my past within them, and as a result I had to work thru them on the way down :)

My counsellor was fantastic and all those issues I've hidden from have pretty much been laid to rest now.... yes I still have to odd relapse where I have to do a lot of soul searching :)

Good luck....it will do you the world of good x x x x x

I had a number of sessions on the NHS as part of ny NHS package and it was helpful but didn't tell me anything I didn't already know about myself I think I might benefit from a chat or 2 post surgery as I feel that this is needed I guess I could contact my team for a chat

Absolutely nothing in the way of counselling offered here (NHS surgery). My overall journey was a complete farce from when I initially asked my GP about WLS and was turned down for ridiculous reasons, to fighting constantly for the surgery to finally getting my op seven years later. Hubby seems to think that they left me to it as I am a trained counsellor and through a couple of decades of working in the field, specifically with women and children I had already come to terms with many issues from my past so to be honest I do have my head screwed on pretty tight anyway. However, they have no way of knowing what my career was - so I think it's a basic lack of interest on their part.
Nothing post surgery either, apart from being weighed at my follow up appointments and a quick look over my blood results. But no support as such before or after surgery

Gosh! I'm really surprised to hear the NHS don't provide anything, especially after all the hoops you have to jump through to get surgery in the first place.

I realised that I have more issues above and beyond the weight and problems with food, so I think this counselling is overdue and will help me massively. x

Oh I think they do but because the service is so short staffed or overworked not everyone gets the same options lol I was told right at the start it was part of the package .... it just never came..... go see your gp or self refer any kind of talk therapy will help :) good luck sweetness x x x x

I've had follow up dietitian appointments for the past 2 years since my surgery but nothing in the way of counselling. I've been referred to see someone who deals with eating disorders (anerexia, bulemia etc) because of just how much of a headscrew this really is. I'm currently pregnant (again! Second pregnancy since surgery in Nov 2013) and they won't touch me right now. Being told to eat more, up my carbs, don't waste space on fruit/salad, is really hard to come to terms with after a lifetime of constant diets and worrying.

If you can get the counselling please do go. It'll help most definitely. The initial loss is fantastic but learning to cope with your new body and eating habits is hard. Maintaining after the "honeymoon" period will also be difficult so do something before it gets too serious.
I'm not a WLS long-termer at all but I'm a rare case coping with this and more than one pregnancy (plus all the hormone imbalances thrown in!) in such a short space of time.

Good luck :) xXx

I haven't had any counselling or anything offered at all. I think it should come with it, but in honesty I don't think I need it. Is there anything in particular you are struggling to deal with, because this forum is the perfect place to vent and pick apart your thoughts without having to deal with 'real people' as such :)

Hope everything is ok and that your sessions continue to help you xxx

Hi, due to complications after my Gastric Sleeve surgery , having numerous interventions in a short space of time and still having a feeding tube in situ. I have had intervention from my team Pyschologist following a diagnosis of PTSD. I have had mental health issues in the past but have remained well for many years before having my operation.
I cannot speak more highly of the support I have had and have been referred on to my local Mental Health Team for ongoing support. My team have given me incredible support and I consider myself very fortunate.
I think if you feel you need extra support you should ask your team and I would hope that it would be forthcoming. I had my operation in 2014. Because of my complications I don't like to post as I would not want to give people cause to think these things are commonplace. But I would like to feel my support would be available to others who needed it.
I am so impressed by the strength and courage of the WLS people who use this site and feel that the support that is given freely and with such love is amazing and although my journey has not been usual I am still able to learn so much from others whose journey is equally as difficult but in different ways.
Thanks to all who post and share their experiences and expertise.

Hi, due to complications after my Gastric Sleeve surgery , having numerous interventions in a short space of time and still having a feeding tube in situ. I have had intervention from my team Pyschologist following a diagnosis of PTSD. I have had mental health issues in the past but have remained well for many years before having my operation. I cannot speak more highly of the support I have had and have been referred on to my local Mental Health Team for ongoing support. My team have given me incredible support and I consider myself very fortunate. I think if you feel you need extra support you should ask your team and I would hope that it would be forthcoming. I had my operation in 2014. Because of my complications I don't like to post as I would not want to give people cause to think these things are commonplace. But I would like to feel my support would be available to others who needed it. I am so impressed by the strength and courage of the WLS people who use this site and feel that the support that is given freely and with such love is amazing and although my journey has not been usual I am still able to learn so much from others whose journey is equally as difficult but in different ways. Thanks to all who post and share their experiences and expertise.
I am really sorry you have had such adifficult time. I am very glad you have had great support. Best wishes for a positive future.

Hi, due to complications after my Gastric Sleeve surgery , having numerous interventions in a short space of time and still having a feeding tube in situ. I have had intervention from my team Pyschologist following a diagnosis of PTSD. I have had mental health issues in the past but have remained well for many years before having my operation.
I cannot speak more highly of the support I have had and have been referred on to my local Mental Health Team for ongoing support. My team have given me incredible support and I consider myself very fortunate.
I think if you feel you need extra support you should ask your team and I would hope that it would be forthcoming. I had my operation in 2014. Because of my complications I don't like to post as I would not want to give people cause to think these things are commonplace. But I would like to feel my support would be available to others who needed it.
I am so impressed by the strength and courage of the WLS people who use this site and feel that the support that is given freely and with such love is amazing and although my journey has not been usual I am still able to learn so much from others whose journey is equally as difficult but in different ways.
Thanks to all who post and share their experiences and expertise.

So sorry things have been so hard and you've had such problems but still post because although your story isn't normal it is reality and has happened to you x

Back