• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sleeve surgery not as popular as Bypass in the UK?

triedeverything

My surgical provider doesn't even have a forum for Sleeve surgeries, just Lap band, RNY/Bypass and 'other'.. I haven't seen many UK people at all who have had the sleeve?

Why is this? My surgeon says he does a great many more Bypass surgeries than Sleeves but was happy to perform the Sleeve on me (and has done enough for me to feel happy with his experience) but I'm wondering why the Gastric Sleeve is not seen as popular an option as the Bypass? In the US forums it's seems more popular?

Does anyone else wonder why the UK surgery providers are behind the curve about the Sleeve?

I know the sleeve is becoming more popular. Could be because it is relatively new compared to the others? Not sure. My provider has stopped doing bands altogether!

I think it's getting more and more popular. Remember it's relatively new as it used to stage 1 of the bypass for heavier patients.

Sleeve

I am having the sleeve on Tuesday. My surgeon did everything to convince me to ave a bypass, he prefers to do them over the sleeve. Three choices Band, sleeve or BYPASS. I had investigated before starting down the surgery route and had decided on band or sleeve, but speaking in the waiting room my mind was made up sleeve it is.

I would have loved the sleeve, but my surgeon did not have any choices really - the hospital no longer did the band and they did not do the sleeve. They did not even do the rny bypass just the mini (which I did not find out about till I was about to be put under!) I really think that any referral should be to a surgeon or hospital that offers all three choices so that the person and the surgeon can make the best choice for an individual.

I thought it was popular.

My surgeon was steering me towards this last year, I opted for the band, now the bypass. He would still do the sleeve if he had his way.

I had a different surgeon for my band and he doesn't offer the sleeve at all. He just offers the band and the balloon) He does more bands than anything. My sleeve surgeons have stopped doing the band altogether and offer the sleeve, the balloon and the bypass. They suggested the bypass to me but the idea of it was too scary for me and I went with the sleeve. Best desicion I have ever made! :) Good luck when your op comes round :)

Back