• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Nervous but so ready!

Hi there, I'm Debs, I started my weight loss journey decades ago, but failed miserably every time!
At the beginning of this year I saw my GP who referred me for weight loss surgery on the NHS Worcestershire. I have been seeing the weight loss dietition for about 8 months now and have finally been given the go ahead to do the group counselling session before I meet with my consultant in the new year for potential surgery before March 2018.
I have a BMI of 54 and have struggled with my weight all my life really.
I'm just looking to get as much information from anyone who is on the same journey or has completed their journey.
I have no idea what to expect really...
What will my eating abilities be straight after surgery and then further down the line?
Will I still be able to eat with my family?
Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks
Debs

Hi and welcome
There is loads of advice on this forum the best advice I can give is to have a good look around but allow plenty of time as there’s so much information available
Good luck and keep in touch xx

Hello and welcome @Debbie Shuttleworth ! which op will you be having?

You'll probably learn more at the group session but immediately post op you'll be on liquids only, then soft food and gradually introduce 'normal' food.

Yes, of course you'll be able to eat with your family but you'll be having much less than the current norm :D

Welcome.

As Mazza says, liquid, puree and soft and then you should be able to eat most normal healthy foods eventually - although some may be a problem (mine is eggs as they get stuck), although very small portions (think ramekin dish to tea plate) and probably lots of protein and very little carbs depending on the procedure you have.

If you are having a bypass then @Hannah2 is a good diary to read. Do have a good read of others though.

The journey can be tough at times and is a whole lifestyle change, particularly at the beginning but once the pounds start coming off, you can buy clothes in normal shops and your health improves it will hopefully be worth it. Good support is key, both from the professionals but also from family and friends.

Back