• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Still have a stitch!

Not sure on the answer as I havent had surgery yet, but about 20 years ago my husband had a burst stomach ulcer and had dis solvable stitches but one didnt dissolve and about 5 years after it poked through the skin and had to be pulled out!! It wasnt painful :)

I had dissolveable stitches but was recommended to get them removed 10 days after surgery, they can take about 8 weeks to dissolve by themselves. You could always make an appointment and get your doctors surgery to remove it if you wanted.

Hi Andrea

Why do they recommend getting the dissolveable ones removed?

I asked this as on my previous kidney op they were left in.

I was told that the scar would beome lumpy with the dissolvable stitches left in, which my previous one had. Fortunately my surgeon used the same main port from the kidney op, tidied it up and now I just have a lovely neat line as a scar about 1/8" thick, the previous was 3/8" and lumpy.

Oh right, see you learn something new everyday :) it does beg the question why use them if they are going to take them out rather than let them dissolve lol

Yes you are probably right

disolvable sutures need moisture to disolve so put some vaseline on them at least daily, :)
kate x

Back