• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Stomach (Bowel) Gurgles?

TurtleGal

Hey all! Almost two weeks now since the surgery and things are going well! I saw my doctor yesterday and my wounds are all healing well and she was really pleased with my progress. There was a nerve damaged in my stomach which has made it completely numb in one area and hyper sensitive in another, which is annoying. She said this might take up to 6 months to go away. It's not so bad that it stops me from doing anything but I have a fair bit of pain if anything touches the skin on the left side of my bellybutton.

I'm in the puree phase now, eating a lot of stuff out of the blender. I've been eating UNOX ertwensoep (Pea soup), sugar free pudding, yogurt, creamy tomato soup, fruit smoothies and other stuff.

I have a question about bowel movements. At the moment every morning between 9-10am I get MAJOR gurgles in my stomach, it's really loud, just like on Dumb & Dumber, if you remember that scene! When I go to the toilet I have something that is between diarrhea and a very very loose bowel movement. It's not totally liquid, there is some substance there but it does come out in one liquid-ish rush. I know this is too much information but I want to make sure it's normal!

For the rest of the day I keep getting really loud gurgling coming from my bowels, it FEELS like I am going to have to go to the toilet again but it doesn't happen for the rest of the day, just the morning.

Is this because I'm still on such soft foods, is it normal? Do these stomach gurgles continue?

Down 7.6 kilos now, I'm happy!!

Its your plumbing settling down and getting used to no solid food.It sorts itself out when you are eating properly.I do nice healthy/substantial poos at 11 months!

I had my op on the 9th, the gurgles and burps are an interesting addition to my life!! I was a bit worried about my lack of bowel movements initially but it does settle down. My GP said you should get it checked out if you have diohe, diahr, dihor ....... totally liquid stools because you lose vital salts or something like that, but a mixture is ok.

You will be fine x

Puree is fun, eh? it got better for me when I started adding flavour as opposed to really bland foods.

Good luck with your ongoing recovery

Being on Pureed food will always make your bowels a lot softer and runnier.. as its just really going straight through, but you will find it will start to change when you get into the softer food stage. as for gurgling... i have some strange noises coming from me now and then lol... but more so when i was on pureed xx

So it's normal in the weeks after surgery while on Puree to get those "oh no the sh*ts are coming!" gurgles through the whole day, even if they don't end up coming? hehe

Liquid stools can be a sign of dumping as if I eat anything to sweet or fatty I get the gurgles, cramps & liquid/ semi liquid stools. Keep a note of what you've eaten when & see if it's just your tum settling things or a pattern. Milk triggered a similar thing with me for a few days to, I used soya milk in my shakes etc for a while & it all settled, so whilst not likely to be anything to worry about keep an eye on it incase it's dumping or a temporary sensitivity to a particular food.

Back