• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Stopping of pill before op

smilergem

On my wl journey at last
Hi everyone, am just about to change my contraceptive pill from one progesterone type to another, but read on the enclosed notes that the pill should be stopped six weeks before stomach surgery, in case of blood clots.
I think I shall phone the hospital tomorrow, but has anyone else had to stop theirs before having the op??
The silly thing is, am 53 this year, and should have stopped all this period nonsense years ago (as all my friends have), but no, still having them every two weeks, which is why am going to try a new one.
My pre op is on 4 May, and my op could be any time after that, but probably about 4 weeks.
Is it worth me starting the new one tomorrow, as will maybe have to stop in a few weeks time.
Thanks for your help :D;)

I'm not sure about this one. I was still on my pill (Cerazette) all throughout pre op and after my op as well. No one mentioned anything about stopping it. You're best asking your team. xx

Hi Jan,

Yeah I was told to stop my pill 4 weeks before op and not to take it again until 4 weeks after. I stuck to that because the blood clot thing did frighten me. With all that you are going through the last thing you need is DVT on top of everything else. I would stick to what they tell you if I was you. Hope all goes well hun.

I dont know about needing to stop the pill before surgery, but if you are having a bypass the pill will not be 100% effective contraception afterwards due to the malabsorption.

Back